Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 7.1 - still unstable and crashes at catalog import  (Read 15269 times)

The View

I just spent another five hours creating a catalog.

I was to import 9600 files.

Like last time, after about 9300 files Capture One crashed, a beach ball showed up, and that's.

The catalog still seems to be there, but I don't know which 500 files are now missing from the catalog.

It was the same crash that happened with Capture One 7.01.

Looks like nothing has been done by Phase One to repair that bug that crashes large imports just as they are about to be completed.

This application is not ripe for prime time, and it's not able to function reliably. I'd consider it a beta version full of bugs that affect basic functionality.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:21:43 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture One Pro 7.1 - still unstable and crashes at catalog import
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:51:44 am »

Looks like nothing has been done by Phase One to repair that bug that crashes large imports just as they are about to be completed.

This application is not ripe for prime time, and it's not able to function reliably. I'd consider it a beta version full of bugs that affect basic functionality.

Hi,

Since the application runs fine with a lot of other people, have you raised a support ticket with Phase One? It's apparently an issue together with your specific hardware, it seems.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

The View

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:48:05 am »

I have the latest model retina MacBook Pro with 16 Gb RAM, two months old.

I can assure you it is not my hardware.

It's a bug in the software that has to do with how C1 Pro counts images, and crashes eventually at the end of the import.

The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:58 am »

I just spent another five hours creating a catalog.

I was to import 9600 files.

Like last time, after about 9300 files Capture One crashed, a beach ball showed up, and that's.

The catalog still seems to be there, but I don't know which 500 files are now missing from the catalog.

It was the same crash that happened with Capture One 7.01.

Why not just import smaller groups? Now I don't use catalogs, but just a thought...
Craig Lamson Photo

The View

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 03:51:57 pm »

Why not just import smaller groups? Now I don't use catalogs, but just a thought...

Yes, I am thought of that and I think it's a good idea. Diverting the one big folder in smaller ones.

Currently I found a workaround until the catalog gets fixed. I'm using Bridge as a file browser to find the images, get the shoot date, and then find the folder to work with through filtering by date (the catalog I have does not show any folders, but filtering works).

When I have more time I'll delete and reinstall C1, and try to import again and see what happens.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:48:33 am »

Yes, I am thought of that and I think it's a good idea. Diverting the one big folder in smaller ones.

Currently I found a workaround until the catalog gets fixed. I'm using Bridge as a file browser to find the images, get the shoot date, and then find the folder to work with through filtering by date (the catalog I have does not show any folders, but filtering works).

When I have more time I'll delete and reinstall C1, and try to import again and see what happens.

I have a very good file structure ( at least for my work) and that's how I have been working for years.  Bridge cs6 is really quite competent.   Usually its just a matter of finding the current project folder and opening that in  C1.   Often I don't even open bridge.
Craig Lamson Photo

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:25:13 pm »

I'm on a pC and it has trouble loading images when I try to switch sessions or browse toa different folder. Then it leaves me stuck with no option to browse. (I'm sure the answer to this is that "I'm not supposed to do that"... or something) It also had a problem loading the images in a folder.  Oddly 7.01 was wroking rather smooth on loading the images.  Either I changed a behavior and did some functions I hadn't done before (time between 7-7.1 was not that long), or the update caused an issue. (?)

I am over 180K images in one of my main LightRoom catalogs. the processing does have slight delay as the catalog grows. I think after 90K I noticed slight background processing to play "catch-up"(delays in sliders, loading image,  etc. 

I trust C1 to process my images 100%, and I know it will do a beautiful job. Trust it with my images and cataloging? No, I rather not for many reasons. Besides LR makes it very easy, and pretty user error proof, and logical approach. But even LR I am not too thrilled of having the processor with the Cataloging. It's simply bad form and only a matter of time (As in LR) before the combination of the catalog and processing being in one application gets crippled due to a large catalog. If you keep these independent the processor can stay free of memory locks and function locks that require switching from Catalog/Library to Processing modes.

Most of photography I do is based on "Shoot first, do all else later", and this just doesn't work with C1. I do use Sessions by FORCE when I do tethered shooting; more setup ports or still life. Its such a torture with C1, as I love the files I process with it, yet getting to my files without adding extra folders and overhead of other things makes it a pain. I will continue to add to all the posts that have frustrations or issues with C1. Honestly, I should be doing a cut /paste if you consider the amount of times I have posted.  Oddly, it is usually the same reasons and frustrations I encounter. So maybe some day C1 will listen, and perhaps release a version such as a Pro Lite, that has NO sessions, NO catalog. All of what it offers now, but without the overhead of dictating my files....One day!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Craig Lamson

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »

I'm on a pC and it has trouble loading images when I try to switch sessions or browse toa different folder. Then it leaves me stuck with no option to browse. (I'm sure the answer to this is that "I'm not supposed to do that"... or something) It also had a problem loading the images in a folder.  Oddly 7.01 was wroking rather smooth on loading the images.  Either I changed a behavior and did some functions I hadn't done before (time between 7-7.1 was not that long), or the update caused an issue. (?)

I am over 180K images in one of my main LightRoom catalogs. the processing does have slight delay as the catalog grows. I think after 90K I noticed slight background processing to play "catch-up"(delays in sliders, loading image,  etc. 

I trust C1 to process my images 100%, and I know it will do a beautiful job. Trust it with my images and cataloging? No, I rather not for many reasons. Besides LR makes it very easy, and pretty user error proof, and logical approach. But even LR I am not too thrilled of having the processor with the Cataloging. It's simply bad form and only a matter of time (As in LR) before the combination of the catalog and processing being in one application gets crippled due to a large catalog. If you keep these independent the processor can stay free of memory locks and function locks that require switching from Catalog/Library to Processing modes.

Most of photography I do is based on "Shoot first, do all else later", and this just doesn't work with C1. I do use Sessions by FORCE when I do tethered shooting; more setup ports or still life. Its such a torture with C1, as I love the files I process with it, yet getting to my files without adding extra folders and overhead of other things makes it a pain. I will continue to add to all the posts that have frustrations or issues with C1. Honestly, I should be doing a cut /paste if you consider the amount of times I have posted.  Oddly, it is usually the same reasons and frustrations I encounter. So maybe some day C1 will listen, and perhaps release a version such as a Pro Lite, that has NO sessions, NO catalog. All of what it offers now, but without the overhead of dictating my files....One day!

I shoot tethered 90 percent of the time but I use Breeze DSLR Remote for capture and then just use a watched folder in C1. I just ordered a Airport Express and I'm going to start using C1 for capture with an Ipad.  Hope it works and I woek alone and on very big products so shooting to the pad will make adjusting lighting much easier...i think.
Craig Lamson Photo

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 01:11:28 am »

What are you shooting with Craig?

Craig Lamson

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:07 am »

What are you shooting with Craig?

Canon 1DsIII and 5DII,  currently on a Mac but I also use Windows 7.
Craig Lamson Photo

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:26 am »

When you shoot with a Phase One, you don't have a choice of capture software, so you are FORCED to get in the Capture One software mess, and have to go and clean up the files. It's is always this curve ball that we deal with as we have 3 main brands of cameras to work with. We have a great system setup that works for us, as many if not most photographers setup their system tailored to their needs. Everytime we shoot with the PhaseOne tethered to CaptureOne we go through a warp space of time loss. We have 2 "C1 pro users" on set, and even the die hard fan (I used to be one of those fans) is frustrated on what we have to do to get the job done.

Do you know if any other capture software will tether to PhaseOne backs?

deiruch

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 05:55:25 pm »

I can assure you it is not my hardware.

It's a bug in the software that has to do with how C1 Pro counts images, and crashes eventually at the end of the import.

As if you knew exactly what the problem was...

Craig Lamson

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »

When you shoot with a Phase One, you don't have a choice of capture software, so you are FORCED to get in the Capture One software mess, and have to go and clean up the files. It's is always this curve ball that we deal with as we have 3 main brands of cameras to work with. We have a great system setup that works for us, as many if not most photographers setup their system tailored to their needs. Everytime we shoot with the PhaseOne tethered to CaptureOne we go through a warp space of time loss. We have 2 "C1 pro users" on set, and even the die hard fan (I used to be one of those fans) is frustrated on what we have to do to get the job done.

Do you know if any other capture software will tether to PhaseOne backs?

Sorry no I don't.
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up