Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1211705 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2460 on: December 26, 2016, 11:37:08 am »

Are your results consistent using low power flash and high speed shutter?

I have seen that same flash model sold here (as a Godox). Was a bit skeptical at first, but I guess even a crappy tool in the right hands can create something spectacular! :)

In this setup the shutter speed stays at max sync speed, so a pitiful 1/125 for 645z. Overall it seemed consistent enough.. if there was any variation, I honestly didn't pay much attention as its trivial to adjust in post. One just has to religiously take care to not burn the highlights with 645z - there is no headroom.

These flashes are fine.. they give light and quite a lot of it;) The only issue I noticed - there is a Y power cable which allows to shorten the recycle time, it has a current leak - with this cable connected and everything powered down the battery pack is discharging. Otherwise, these batteries just don't end.

I found very helpful reviews of this and other Flashpoint/Godox lights on this blog by Mark Kitaoka: http://www.markkitaoka.com/blog
XPLOR600 looks quite interesting & easier to connect with modifiers.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:44:21 am by MichaelEzra »

MichaelEzra

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2461 on: December 26, 2016, 11:38:21 am »

Thanks Michael. I've had the Z for about two weeks so I'm definitely going to try out different things as I go along.
Greg

Have fun:)!

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2462 on: December 26, 2016, 12:48:59 pm »

Happy morning everyone:)

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #2463 on: December 27, 2016, 03:08:59 am »

In this setup the shutter speed stays at max sync speed, so a pitiful 1/125 for 645z. Overall it seemed consistent enough.. if there was any variation, I honestly didn't pay much attention as its trivial to adjust in post. One just has to religiously take care to not burn the highlights with 645z - there is no headroom.

These flashes are fine.. they give light and quite a lot of it;) The only issue I noticed - there is a Y power cable which allows to shorten the recycle time, it has a current leak - with this cable connected and everything powered down the battery pack is discharging. Otherwise, these batteries just don't end.

I found very helpful reviews of this and other Flashpoint/Godox lights on this blog by Mark Kitaoka: http://www.markkitaoka.com/blog
XPLOR600 looks quite interesting & easier to connect with modifiers.

Thank you! I thought you used a higher shutter speed, it looks very sharp for 1/125!
Instagram (updated often)

jvpictures

« Reply #2464 on: December 27, 2016, 05:20:44 am »

Thank you! I thought you used a higher shutter speed, it looks very sharp for 1/125!

In a studio environment with virtually no available light the shutter speed of the camera is not so important. The flash speed determines mostly the motion freezing. Much different story for the same shoot in available light (outdoor, on-location).

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #2465 on: December 27, 2016, 09:03:39 am »

In a studio environment with virtually no available light the shutter speed of the camera is not so important. The flash speed determines mostly the motion freezing. Much different story for the same shoot in available light (outdoor, on-location).

Ah yes, you are right! Didn't even think about it even though I used this trick a few times. :)
Instagram (updated often)

Rob C

« Reply #2466 on: December 28, 2016, 04:13:13 am »

Absolutely. In my own studios I seldom had the Rollei or the 'blad set to anything other than a 1/125th because it wasn't needed, and keeping it relatively slow, even though one could in theory set the shutter to synch. up to a 1/500th of a sec, it seemed sensible to cut the risk of any internal error taking place in the machine. If anything, my problem was having enough available modelling light by which to focus. Those lenses were never faster than f2.8 and often only made f4. A solution was to have the model hold her hand flat aganst her middle, so that any ring she wore would give a highlight on which one could set the focus. After that, so long as she held her mark, you were home - for full-lengths, of course. In those happy years, junk jewellery was big, in both senses! Helped no end. Portraits always gave you the catchlight on the eyes

Rob

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2467 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:13 pm »

Hi,

As long as surround light is low, shutter speed doesn't matter.

There are some reasons that 99% of worlds best images are probably made with focal plane shutters:
  • Could be that 99% of the cameras used to capture world's best images have FPS
  • Could be that 99% of the worlds best photographers know to make best use of their systems
  • Could be that 99% of the worlds best images are made in available light or in studio

Yes, I would suggest that there are situations where short sync times are essential too keep down surround light, but they may rather be exceptions than rules.

It may also be that great photographers can work around limitations of their equipment.

Not saying that leaf shutters are not great. Just saying that an awful lot of great images come from focal plane shutters. Leaf shutters have benefits for sure, just may be that focal plane shutters also have benefits.Those benefits may outweigh the disadvantages for 95% of the users?

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

jvpictures

« Reply #2468 on: December 28, 2016, 02:19:15 pm »

Hi,

There are some reasons that 99% of worlds best images are probably made with focal plane shutters:
  • Could be that 99% of the cameras used to capture world's best images have FPS
  • Could be that 99% of the worlds best photographers know to make best use of their systems
  • Could be that 99% of the worlds best images are made in available light or in studio

Yes, I would suggest that there are situations where short sync times are essential too keep down surround light, but they may rather be exceptions than rules.

It may also be that great photographers can work around limitations of their equipment.

Not saying that leaf shutters are not great. Just saying that an awful lot of great images come from focal plane shutters. Leaf shutters have benefits for sure, just may be that focal plane shutters also have benefits.Those benefits may outweigh the disadvantages for 95% of the users?

Best regards
Erik

I disagree. IMO a portrait in available light with a natural background and the model is lit by a fill flash is more pleasing and more interesting than a studio scene with a white or grey boring background. When shooting without a leaf shutter in full sunlight environment you either shoot with a small aperture (e.g. f/16, but this does not give a pleasing bokeh) or using a strong ND filter (with the disadvantage of focusing and possible color shifts) or using some kind of tricks like FPS...High Speed Sync (with all kind of disadvantages of light output power loss and/or differing color balance). With leaf shutters as I do with my H6D-100c I can sync a mobile power pack up to 1/2000 sec in full sun light at f/2.2.  The freedom of not having to worry of the limitation X-sync of focal plane shutters (1/160 sec ... 1/250 sec) is a luxury as soon one shoots a system with a comfortable leaf shutter as with Phase One or Hasselblad.

Rob C

« Reply #2469 on: December 28, 2016, 03:11:07 pm »

How complicated today's folks like to make their lives!

I almost never used flash outdoors; if I had to supplement anything, a reflector might be used. A good idea is far better than a contrived technique which, IMO, is often used just so that the picture can look artificial/difficult! and thus, by some peverted logic, make the photographer look clever, when all he's done is run a circle when he could have aped Shorty, and just cut across.

With technique as with composition: you can't beat simplicity.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2470 on: December 28, 2016, 09:51:48 pm »

Hi,

Not saying that leaf shutters are not useful, but consider this:

Total sales of interchangable lens cameras is around 10 000 000 a year while MFD market is believed to be around 10000 a year.

So MFD sales are about 1 promille of ILC sales.

Life cycle of MFD-s is probably longer than for ILC, but I guess that that is highly probable that not more than 1% of the photographers use MFD and not all of those MFDs are leaf shutter cameras.

Therefore I guess that 99% of the photographers do without leaf shutters. I don't say LS are not good or that they are not needed. But, I guess that we would have more LS systems around if there was a large market for them.

Obviously, photographers using outdoor flash benefit from LS, but I would suggest they are minority, ignored by Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax and Fuji.

The starting point of this discussion was really a very nice stop motion image shot with a Pentax 645Z at 1/125s.

Best regards
Erik

I disagree. IMO a portrait in available light with a natural background and the model is lit by a fill flash is more pleasing and more interesting than a studio scene with a white or grey boring background. When shooting without a leaf shutter in full sunlight environment you either shoot with a small aperture (e.g. f/16, but this does not give a pleasing bokeh) or using a strong ND filter (with the disadvantage of focusing and possible color shifts) or using some kind of tricks like FPS...High Speed Sync (with all kind of disadvantages of light output power loss and/or differing color balance). With leaf shutters as I do with my H6D-100c I can sync a mobile power pack up to 1/2000 sec in full sun light at f/2.2.  The freedom of not having to worry of the limitation X-sync of focal plane shutters (1/160 sec ... 1/250 sec) is a luxury as soon one shoots a system with a comfortable leaf shutter as with Phase One or Hasselblad.

Hi,

Could be that 99% of the cameras used to capture world's best images have FPS
Could be that 99% of the worlds best photographers know to make best use of their systems
Could be that 99% of the worlds best images are made in available light or in studio

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:01:30 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

NickT

« Reply #2471 on: December 28, 2016, 10:40:09 pm »

Hi,

Not saying that leaf shutters are not useful, but consider this:

Total sales of interchangable lens cameras is around 10 000 000 a year while MFD market is believed to be around 10000 a year.

Given that we are discussing professionals I think that ratio is probably a bit different.

jvpictures

« Reply #2472 on: December 29, 2016, 06:53:58 am »

back to the starting point, this image was shot in a studio, although with available light and fill flash from front right (a large Profoto SB; maybe 50%:50%). Shot with H5D-50c f/5 and 1/800 sec, which is the upper limit for that LS 150mm lens. Still not tack sharp due to fast motion of the subject. The newer H6 do up to 1/2000 sec which probably would have done better to this scene.

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2473 on: December 29, 2016, 12:24:37 pm »

One more Unimpossible, 645z:

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2474 on: December 29, 2016, 12:54:27 pm »

One more Unimpossible, 645z:

It must have gone something like this:

You talked the models into this pose, then asked them to hold it while you went to get your camera and tripod and a fresh cup of coffee . . .

Your work is constantly amazing and inspiring, Michael!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2475 on: December 29, 2016, 12:58:10 pm »

Thanks Eric:) The amazing thing is, they still could have held this and even more challenging poses:)
More to come!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:24:10 pm by MichaelEzra »

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2476 on: December 30, 2016, 02:59:51 am »

Stunning, but I keep being drawn to the detail of their legs, the tones and the muscle tone. My word these women must be fit and strong.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2477 on: December 30, 2016, 05:48:57 am »

Hi,

Proffesional sport photographers? I don't think so...

If you narrowing down a category far enough you can get very different percentages.

Best regards
Erik

Given that we are discussing professionals I think that ratio is probably a bit different.
Erik Kaffehr

MichaelEzra

« Reply #2478 on: December 30, 2016, 07:21:17 am »

I've been very fortunate this year, these "models" are world-class contortionists who are performing for Cirque Du Soleil. Just having them in my studio contorting right in front of my eyes was an unforgettable experience. I am happy as a child:)

I bought 645z in preparation for this session and now have to sift through 64GB of raw files:)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:36:20 am by MichaelEzra »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #2479 on: December 30, 2016, 10:34:28 am »

I've been very fortunate this year, these "models" are world-class controtionists who are performing for Cirque Du Soleil. Just having them in my studio controting right in front of my eyes was an unforgettable experience. I am happy as a child:)

I bought 645z in preparation for this session and now have to sift through 64GB of raw files:)
I'll be happy to take any of your rejects off your hands, at no charge.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 147   Go Up