Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1211801 times)

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2400 on: November 25, 2016, 04:47:25 pm »

Thanks guys - that was a fun one. You can see more on my instagram (blog post coming soon) - https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/levycraftsmen/

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #2401 on: November 30, 2016, 01:15:17 am »

I have never participated in this thread before, but I guess now is as good as ever!  LOL

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #2402 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:41 am »

Here's another....

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2403 on: November 30, 2016, 02:29:07 am »

Ken, welcome to the thread, congratulations with the cover:)

I had to dig out some old street photos for TV interview with Russia-K. These are some of my favorites from 2000, shot with Nikon F5

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2404 on: November 30, 2016, 03:32:10 am »

I had to dig out some old street photos for TV interview with Russia-K. These are some of my favorites from 2000, shot with Nikon F5

I love the second one, Michael.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #2405 on: November 30, 2016, 04:20:23 am »

Here's another....

Health 'n' Safety should crucify the company!

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #2406 on: November 30, 2016, 04:24:51 am »

I love the second one, Michael.

Jeremy

And for me, the second-last one of the chick in the Union Jack top. her mate on the right helps make it with the animation.

However, the printing tones in all the shots seem strangely and uniformly flat to me, as in "wrong grade of paper".

Rob

minicoop1985

« Reply #2407 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:33 am »

This is for a younger client.

Jay's Porsche by Michael Long, on Flickr
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #2408 on: December 09, 2016, 10:31:21 am »

I've been away for quite some time, but I still come here to check all the amazing work you guys keep posting in this thread.

Today I'm looking for some inspiration. Sunday early morning I will go for an early walk in Rome before the chaos of Christmas. I have a few rolls of FP4 and Portra 160 I want to go through on my Bronica ETRS. :)
Instagram (updated often)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2409 on: December 09, 2016, 10:54:54 am »

From a recent client session. 645z, I love it!

Rob, contrast of these might suit your taste better;)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:37:00 pm by MichaelEzra »

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2410 on: December 09, 2016, 08:42:31 pm »

just hanging out on set...

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2411 on: December 10, 2016, 04:39:56 am »

Wood's Cider Mill, VT
H5X and Credo 40

The series is interesting, but this is a stand out, August Sander would approve.
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/sander-pastrycook-al00033
It would be interesting to process as a B/W, although the subtle colour is beautiful (please allow me to mention the red spot bottom RHS which should perhaps go ?) I think an outstanding monochrome is lurking in there with that shiny metal.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:45:09 am by Chris Livsey »

Rob C

« Reply #2412 on: December 10, 2016, 04:59:26 am »

Michael,

Yes, I do preferer the tones in this set of the kid in the chair, but there's another problem that isn't of your making:

“Photographers are becoming a button….It’s disastrous,” he said. “Digital for me stays exactly like film was before. The quality of the image is different, but this you can go anywhere you want with Photoshop. We do Photoshop only to make pictures not look like digital because it’s cold and awful and technical. But the biggest change is that you’re not intimate anymore with the model. That’s what is going to destroy photography and that’s what’s going to destroy photographers because they’re not going to want to be photographers anymore in 10 years, I’m sure. It has become a democratic process and that’s going nowhere, everybody talks into the picture, that’s awful. That’s the most embarrassing thing.”

From Peter Lindbergh's website.

The remark he makes about the look of digital is noticeable everywhere today. I see it in everything that I shoot since digital, and thank goodness it no longer matters to anyone other than myself. Whether it's my personal film history makes me see photography this way or not is open to debate, but I think no les valid for that. I find that I seem to be taking all my images "backwards" by adding noise and even cutting as far back with sharpening as I can, using just enough to compensate for what I presume is the effect of the mechanical filtering crap in front of the sensor.

I wish I had words to explain it even to myself; I find that there's a sense of warped reality comes through in contemporary photography, a kind of feeling that people are all using 8" x 10" cameras even when they are obviously not, and using those large film cameras on some subjects would have been all wrong, and not just because of tech difficulties, but because of the look they would have given subjects that came to life because of being shot on 135 format cameras. Imagine Robert Frank's America trip on 8" x10" and the problem leaps into focus: it's spiritual. Without the look the small format gave, there would only be still life.

I kinda wish I hadn't remarked on the previous set of pictures because it starts to feel to me like a personal witch hunt, which it is not. You've shown some great stuff, so it's truly not about you or ability.

Rob C

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2413 on: December 10, 2016, 12:02:00 pm »

I kinda wish I hadn't remarked on the previous set of pictures because it starts to feel to me like a personal witch hunt, which it is not. You've shown some great stuff, so it's truly not about you or ability.

Rob C

Indeed I agree, after I pressed send on my remark about the red dot I regretted it, but chose to leave it in the hope it was received as meant, a tiny point that just caught my eye and the photographer may have missed but may also have decided to leave.
I was shown a wedding book/album at work from one of our young members of staffs wedding. I said it was wonderful, I really meant the wedding and not the work in which nearly every frame could have been improved by some minor adjustments in post, or cropping and straightening.  In short it was far from what I would expect from a paid professional but there was no way I would ever say so we see so much great work here we think it is the norm.

bcooter

« Reply #2414 on: December 10, 2016, 07:04:59 pm »

he said. “Digital for me stays exactly like film was before. The quality of the image is different, but......

From Peter Lindbergh's website.

Rob C

I think it depends on what era of digital and film you're talking about and the client's you're shooting for.

Today I agree somewhat with Mr. Lindberg, especially in large production because you have too many people standing around the monitor when tethering and some comments can break the continuity you're building with the talent.

But early on in digital I had a different opinion.  The Canon 1ds to me was a revelation as it shot to a film quality image, needed lighting and didn't tether that well, so you could shoot to a card, then while you continued to work, the AD/clients/Managers could review a large part of the session.

I honestly found that way of working more like film because you had to craft the shot, not relying on "we'll fix it in post".  Actually I became more intimate with the image on the 1ds more than film because I knew the processing lab (us) I knew where I wanted to take the look (us) and I knew it was there, in focus and covered.

I believe our work improved because we could get the basic idea in the can, show it, get it approved and have time to experiment and shoot different options.   With film, you had to somewhat overshoot, because nobody really knew if it was there until they saw it a day later from the lab.

Also at that time even good labs were all over the place in keeping their lines straight as they weren't running the volume of film they did in the past, especially transparency film. 

Today, we work at a furious pace.  We try to shoot like film, but if it's faster to take a wrinkle out in post, or a smudge on a wall, than do it on set, we shoot and do it later.   

Now with high iso cameras, I agree they look less like film, maybe because we do less with lighting, more later and to me many of them are way too smooth, even with raw they start way too un film like, so they take some effort to get the precooked colour and smoothness out of them.

With the 1ds, to produce web galleries, for a 3 day shoot we could make decent web galleries in 5 or 6 hours.  Now for everyday shooting it's at least a day or two to make galleries, because we post process to a level that in the moving film industry would call 1 light dailies.

Actually with the 1ds we shot to make the jpegs look as good as possible so out of camera, we just used them.  Later on when we moved to medium format you had to produce jpegs and the post work was heavier. 

These two images were with the 1ds.    The top image is obviously lit, but the post work is at a minimum.   There is some skin clean up, some coloration changes,  but it was shot like we shot film.  If it didn't look right on the electronic polaroid,(back of the camera) we made it look right before we started the session.

The second image (also with the 1ds) was at Lake Como Italy and it was in available darkness around 400 to 600  iso.   We used fill cards to balance it, but it was the end of the day and medium (today) iso was fine. Since it was at the end of the day/early evening we hadn't planned it but the location matched the wardrobe, it was too cool not to try.

Today we also shoot a much higher volume, regardless of the creative brief, genre, or style.

Maybe that's why I like the Leica S2.    It requires light, or a tripod, or more than just pushing the button.  If it has grain, it has grain, life goes on.  Also the tethering isn't instant, if you overshoot the buffer a little the images come in slower which is fine because it lets a client see a session rather than every frame ths millisecond after you shoot it, which lowers the image by committee (hopefully).

Though this last shot didn't have 20 clients and shot with my leica S2, I probably didn't shoot more than 20 frames on this session, maybe less.  If it was full blown commerce, it would have been a lot more frames and a lot more discussion.

But things have changed.   A friend of mine worked for Guy Bourdin in his later years and hand Guy rolls of uncut film.   Guy would start with a roll and if he liked the 10th frame, he would just mark it and not look at the rest of the session, because he didn't overthink what he was after and if he like it  . . . he liked it.

I doubt you could do that today.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 07:08:06 pm by bcooter »

minicoop1985

« Reply #2415 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:45 am »

It's more of a proof of concept than it is professional per se, but it's learning to do something for professional use.

Focus Stacking by Michael Long, on Flickr

Also, while this isn't SHOT with a medium format camera, I'd still like to wish you all a merry Christmas or winter solstice or whatever. Hasselblad makes it MF related, I hope.

Give the gift of Hasselblad by Michael Long, on Flickr
Michael Long
Hasselblad H3D 39, Canon 5D mark II

Rob C

« Reply #2416 on: December 12, 2016, 09:59:53 am »

"But things have changed.   A friend of mine worked for Guy Bourdin in his later years and hand Guy rolls of uncut film.   Guy would start with a roll and if he liked the 10th frame, he would just mark it and not look at the rest of the session, because he didn't overthink what he was after and if he like it  . . . he liked it.

I doubt you could do that today.

IMO

BC"

Hi BC,

Looking at your fashion pictures there is no doubt that a very distinct sense of your personal style always comes through!

The girl in the second shot, with the red gloves, I think I have seen her in your work before; she always makes me wonder if she is Linda Evangelista, or just that somebody in makeup has done a damned good job drawing in the mouth!

I know he's not exactly your very favourite cup of tea, but I watched a Bailey video the other day, and he touched on that very thing about editing your own work, and how much you offer the client. In brief, he said that in the early years he would offer contact sheets, then as most editors couldn't really read them, he made selected blow-ups and gave them those. He said that eventually he realised that it was nuts to think that an editor knew more about what you wanted to do than you did, so he stopped giving selections, but gave only the shots he wanted to have them use. This was in relationship with Vogue magazine. But then, he has had a long and strange relationship with the magazines: he remarked to the effect that the staff were all his mates, but the management was difficult... If legend - and his own reports - are to be believed, he turned Vogue offers down right at the start of his rise because he didn't like the contract. That took balls, or very smart East-London street sense! Most folks I know would have been eating out of their hands. Maybe the difference registered then, and does so today, reaffirming the point about doing stuff for peanuts just to gain entry to a client: you can never get over being thought of as a monkey.

He has also said that he refuses to do some 'star' shots because he just won't tolerate having PR, managers, agents, the entire industry messing up his life and wanting to keep copyright themselves. He says it's just too much bother.

Some world he inhabits!

Rob C

Chris Livsey

« Reply #2417 on: December 12, 2016, 11:26:28 am »

I know he's not exactly your very favourite cup of tea, but I watched a Bailey video the other day,

Some world he inhabits!

Rob C

Rob this goes back to the comments on the button pushers, who in the great British public, I'm sorry this is UK centric, could name any photographer these days?
Patrick Lichfield, Beaton in the day maybe but Bailey!! Who else was parodied on TV ads, and being Bailey appeared in them, can't see that happening again!!

"Bailey's East End" for me shows what a great eye he has regardless of "fashion" and "portrait" - the payer gigs.
Does he shoot digital? Well a London dealer sold a Leica Monochrome recently with provenance of his sole ownership, it was pretty well used.

Rob C

« Reply #2418 on: December 12, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »

Rob this goes back to the comments on the button pushers, who in the great British public, I'm sorry this is UK centric, could name any photographer these days?
Patrick Lichfield, Beaton in the day maybe but Bailey!! Who else was parodied on TV ads, and being Bailey appeared in them, can't see that happening again!!

"Bailey's East End" for me shows what a great eye he has regardless of "fashion" and "portrait" - the payer gigs.
Does he shoot digital? Well a London dealer sold a Leica Monochrome recently with provenance of his sole ownership, it was pretty well used.

Chris,

You are probably right about the current lack of public awareness of great photograhers in the UK. I rather think that the only reason any became commonly known was due to the fashion scene in London, and music; the snappers were on the coat-tails. Page 3 made Beverley Goodway a household name too, in some circles. Lichfield had Unipart calendars to popularise him. Photography, the medium, was never of general public interest beyond the camera club people. In the 50s, when I was still in school and hoping to become a fashion photographer, nobody I knew personally had the slightest idea how one became a photographer. Even with all the reading I had done, I was as much in the dark as the rest of them. My eventual entrance was made when I was able to transfer from my engineering apprenticeship into the company's photo-unit. Sure, that was industrial, but it was a start: I was in and getting a regular wage packet - of peanuts, it must be admitted. ;-)

The first link below is the one where I think Bailey talks about the Vogue situation (I say think, because there are so many of them in my mind they merge too well!). He also mentions digital as being a tool, nothing more and nothing less; the next one is a collection of some nice work of his, and the last one is of John Swannell, his one-time assistant who travelled the world with him in his heyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucd8WD3FM0U#t=5.5660634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCh2S0Hf_WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EBi_M8mSa0

Rob

Transposure

• Transposure Creative
« Reply #2419 on: December 12, 2016, 05:07:44 pm »

Rob,
As I am very interested in the historical fashion photography topic, I wanted to add this video pertaining to Bailey.  He "consults" on a friend's remake of one of his iconic images.  I found it interesting.  If you haven't seen it, I hope you do too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuoTMHBnrxw

The interesting thing I find, however, is when he compares the 1960's shot next to his remake at the end, I find the remake lacking.  The original had a certain je ne sais quoi.  From the arch of the model's back, to the whimsical, mischievousness of her expression to the more comfortable and "at ease" pose.  Bailey's original stands head and shoulders above the remake.  If I were to take on a challenge like that, I would put my own spin on it and probably would have short lit it right off the bat.  But, hey, that's just me...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:14:44 pm by Transposure »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 147   Go Up