Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 147   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Recent Professional Works 2  (Read 1205571 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2013, 04:29:19 am »

I think there is another possibility: it becomes an "impressive piece of architecture" at night, precisely because of  the "pleasing palette" of its lighting?

That would fly if we actually saw the colors as they are reproduced here. As much as I would like that: by choice seeing stripes of light as opposed to cars driving, or consciously adjusting whitebalance so I see orange, I can't do either. I also find it hard to comprehend that the glow of the evening sky is less saturated than the artificial lights in the scene before me. I don't have a problem with it as an artistic representation, but surely this isn't even close to daily reality.

(In fact, i think in practice this will give me the shivers. Junky-deterrent-blue pretty much always does.)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

chrismuc

Re: Recent Professional Works 2
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2013, 06:11:15 am »

@ joe
... a little photoshoping of the left upper corner reduces the distortion effect of circular objects in that area
:-)
chris

Chris Livsey

« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2013, 08:41:01 am »

I think if I was going to that trouble I wound have taken out those utility wires in the window  ;)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:06 am »

To be honest, the distortion does not bother me.  It is a product of perspective, as Chris stated earlier.  Not to mention that now with the sconce "fixed," the sink just does not look right, and the sink would be much harder to "fix."   The wires in the window were removed later on.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:45:41 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Livsey

« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2013, 02:27:05 pm »

The wires in the window were removed later on.  

Thank you, I feel better now  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #465 on: June 09, 2013, 05:55:19 am »

For SecondFocus aka Ian Sitren.

Thought of you as I was thinking of W. Eugene Smith, so maybe this makes you both content!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:39:20 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #466 on: June 09, 2013, 11:28:28 am »

Rob, dare I suggest that the title is as good, if not better, as the image? ;)

Rob C

« Reply #467 on: June 09, 2013, 11:37:09 am »

Rob, dare I suggest that the title is as good, if not better, as the image? ;)

It's just what I see every morning in the mirror after my shower. Okay, there's lots of condensation about, just like in the BMW 850, and I could be a little bit mistaken... let's just think of it as a digital dream, then?

Thanks for the kind thought!

;-)

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #468 on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:34 am »

That would fly if we actually saw the colors as they are reproduced here. As much as I would like that: by choice seeing stripes of light as opposed to cars driving, or consciously adjusting whitebalance so I see orange, I can't do either. I also find it hard to comprehend that the glow of the evening sky is less saturated than the artificial lights in the scene before me. I don't have a problem with it as an artistic representation, but surely this isn't even close to daily reality.

(In fact, i think in practice this will give me the shivers. Junky-deterrent-blue pretty much always does.)

White balance was set for daylight. The "look" of this image is virtually identical to using a saturated daylight transparency film for twilights which I did for 25 years before digital. I have probably had close to a hundred magazine covers with such dramatic color twilights-I am known for it frankly-clients ask me for it. So while you are entitled to your opinion (of course), it flies in the face of my 35 years experience in the architectural photography marketplace.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #469 on: June 09, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »

White balance was set for daylight. ... it flies in the face of my 35 years experience in the architectural photography marketplace.

What's your point? I already used all the superlatives required to express my appreciation for the result, but if you're now trying to argue with me that my eyes would perceive artificial light without adaptation, then you really are being unnecessarily argumentative.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #470 on: June 09, 2013, 01:15:13 pm »

Oscar, I think what we are talking about here is there is a "natural" way of how we perceive things and there is a "cultural" way. Take for instance your example of "seeing stripes of light as opposed to cars driving." We've all seen so many pictures of those "stripes of light" in photographs, that we have become conditioned to accept them as "normal." The same goes with the orange glow of incandescent lights. If we are inside a room lit by it, we do not notice it as orange. However, go outside into the dark night and look back at the windows and you will see that light as orange. Culturally, we have also been conditioned to see daylight-balanced film deliver those oranges, and got used to it as "normal." To the point that if Kirk balanced it back to white, I would slap him silly ;D

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #471 on: June 09, 2013, 03:59:50 pm »

I don't have a problem with it as an artistic representation, but surely this isn't even close to daily reality.
or consciously adjusting whitebalance so I see orange

Well I guess my point is who cares if it is close to daily reality? I don't. These are not courtroom evidence but a kind of promotional photography. You brought up these points and I am just explaining my thinking and methodology. No argument intended-just answering your question highlighted above and the one implied in the second quote where you were dead wrong.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:24:23 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2013, 12:23:55 pm »

Well, it's NeoCon... the world's biggest commercial furniture expo and I am absolutely drained.  We've put in about 8 days or work so far (in 7 actual days) and produced some work that I'm really happy with at Herman Miller and a couple other showrooms.

We were working around construction, installation and styling the whole time.  The space just outside of every composition is a mess of workers, furniture and props EVERYWHERE.  I have ingested more caffeine in the last week than I care to admit and have filled up nearly a TB worth of Hard drive space.  The images, while not quite straight out of camera only had time for about 15 minutes of retouching each before they had to be turned around for the monday morning web launch.

More at the blog...

CB

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »

Well, it's NeoCon... the world's biggest commercial furniture expo and I am absolutely drained.  We've put in about 8 days or work so far (in 7 actual days) and produced some work that I'm really happy with at Herman Miller and a couple other showrooms.

We were working around construction, installation and styling the whole time.  The space just outside of every composition is a mess of workers, furniture and props EVERYWHERE.  I have ingested more caffeine in the last week than I care to admit and have filled up nearly a TB worth of Hard drive space.  The images, while not quite straight out of camera only had time for about 15 minutes of retouching each before they had to be turned around for the monday morning web launch.

More at the blog...

CB

Clean and elegant as usual. Well done!
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:48 pm »

Well, it's NeoCon... the world's biggest commercial furniture expo and I am absolutely drained.  We've put in about 8 days or work so far (in 7 actual days) and produced some work that I'm really happy with at Herman Miller and a couple other showrooms.

We were working around construction, installation and styling the whole time.  The space just outside of every composition is a mess of workers, furniture and props EVERYWHERE.  I have ingested more caffeine in the last week than I care to admit and have filled up nearly a TB worth of Hard drive space.  The images, while not quite straight out of camera only had time for about 15 minutes of retouching each before they had to be turned around for the monday morning web launch.

More at the blog...

CB

Nice images as usual Chris.

Many years ago I shot in the Shaw Walker display, following a crew shooting motion.  The grip from the motion crew placed a tota-light too near a sprinkler head.  Needless to say the shooting stopped :)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:07:54 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Rob C

« Reply #475 on: June 12, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »

Chris, excuse me if I'm mistaken, but am I looking at a bathroom?

I'm sure I detect a toothbrush in a mug, but I'm completely thrown by the screens and chairs. Please tell me I'm mistaken.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2013, 01:58:50 pm »

I'm sure I detect a toothbrush in a mug, but I'm completely thrown by the screens and chairs. Please tell me I'm mistaken.

Rob C
I think that's a pencil (or two) in a cup, not a toothbrush.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #477 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:36 pm »

Rob C

Looks like a very comfy toilet, but the plumbing looks kind of small :)
Craig Lamson Photo

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2013, 03:46:57 pm »

More at the blog...

CB

Well balanced and proportioned compositions as always - what an energetic and fun environment to be a part of.
Thanks for sharing here and on your blog.

Andrew

Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2013, 05:37:53 pm »

Nice images as usual Chris.

Many years ago I shot in the Shaw Walker display, following a crew shooting motion.  The grip from the motion crew placed a tota-light too near a sprinkler head.  Needless to say the shooting stopped :)

I was shooting an IBM sales facility in Lubbock TX back in the day. I was shooting the demo room with dozens of computers set up and running. My client, the architect, tripped over my 1000W halogen light on a stand (bouncing light off the ceiling) but he caught it before it hit the ground. He then set it back up again but directly beneath a sprinkler head. I was under the dark cloth concentrating on the composition..................
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 147   Go Up