Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite 2013 January/February Update  (Read 6950 times)

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
Yosemite 2013 January/February Update
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:52:13 am »

Being based in San Francisco means fairly close proximity to some pretty awesome national parks, with Yosemite only about 165 miles distance. I've gone to Yosemite about 5 times in the past couple months and thought I'd provide a quick update with regards to road conditions, snow, price of accommodation etc.

• Despite chain warnings, you will not need chains anywhere in the park
  • Very low flows for all waterfalls despite warm weather
  • Virtually no cloud coverage for the last couple months, sunny days
  • Highs around 60F, lows around 25F
  • Glacier Point Road closed
  • Tioga Pass still closed

If any interesting weather occurs in the next couple weeks I'll make sure to update this post.

january yosemite sunset: grahamclarkphoto.com/yosemite

If you have any questions let me know!

Graham
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:10:27 am by Graham Clark »
Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com

Praki

Re: Yosemite 2013 January/February Update
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:30 am »

Lovely image and thanks for the info.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:40 am »

I've gone to Yosemite about 5 times in the past couple months

I'm not at all jealous. Really I'm not. Not a bit jealous.

Nice photo BTW

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:49:12 am »

Now if you can just make it snow. The crowds waiting for Horsetail Falls were incredible.  Here is my latest Yosemite image http://www.yosemitecollection.com/photos/content/_DSC2309-Edit_large.html

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:19:10 pm »

awesome images! : )

Roman Racela

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:25:26 am »

I was just there over the weekend and the valley has almost zero snow. If another storm doesn't pass through the area, I imagine no more winter photos in the valley in a couple of weeks.

Here's a pic a took from the weekend.

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 02:27:56 am »

oh no! that's not good : (  nice photograph! I see the snow is receding very quickly.

Graham

dreed

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:30:16 am »

Being based in San Francisco means fairly close proximity to some pretty awesome national parks, with Yosemite only about 165 miles distance. I've gone to Yosemite about 5 times in the past couple months and thought I'd provide a quick update with regards to road conditions, snow, price of accommodation etc.

• Despite chain warnings, you will not need chains anywhere in the park
  • Very low flows for all waterfalls despite warm weather
  • Highs around 60F, lows around 25F
  • Glacier Point Road closed
  • Tioga Pass still closed

Given that you're posting the above, it seems that you're unaware of the information provided by NPS on their website - e.g.:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

And of course this is my favourite link for understanding what it looks like outside there:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »

Given that you're posting the above, it seems that you're unaware of the information provided by NPS on their website - e.g.:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

And of course this is my favourite link for understanding what it looks like outside there:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Hello Dreed,

No trolling please. You don't need chains! NPS says you need chains all the time. I would think some people appreciate that information : )

Graham

dreed

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:08 am »

Hello Dreed,

No trolling please. You don't need chains! NPS says you need chains all the time. I would think some people appreciate that information : )

Graham

Whether or not you need chains depends on the weather, not on a post in a forum.

For example, as I write this the current weather forecast for Yosemite includes a 80% snowfall prediction.

People should always check the Yosemite website and make use of the phone numbers advertised therein if they are unsure of the need for chains.

HSakols

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

Actually you are required by law to carry chains at all times during the winter month.  They sometimes do ask if you have chains at the gate.  By not having chains you just endanger everyone else on the road.  We just had a small storm move through which dropped some snow. Badger Pass which is at about 6500 ft. got about 10 inches.  I plan I skiing some powder tomorrow!

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »

Whether or not you need chains depends on the weather, not on a post in a forum.

For example, as I write this the current weather forecast for Yosemite includes a 80% snowfall prediction.

People should always check the Yosemite website and make use of the phone numbers advertised therein if they are unsure of the need for chains.

Actually it doesn't. Although the website says you do, you won't for the rest of the year.

Graham

dreed

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »

Actually you are required by law to carry chains at all times during the winter month.  They sometimes do ask if you have chains at the gate.  By not having chains you just endanger everyone else on the road.  We just had a small storm move through which dropped some snow. Badger Pass which is at about 6500 ft. got about 10 inches.  I plan I skiing some powder tomorrow!

For others reading this thread, the above quote is the one that you should pay attention to.

Actually it doesn't. Although the website says you do, you won't for the rest of the year.

You do realise that this statement includes November and December, right?

Look, if you want to provide "updates" on the "status" of Yosemite National Park, you should be going up every week during March - August and writing about what plants are blooming, water flow over waterfalls, how much snow has melted, which trails are open, etc.

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:19:38 am »

Hello Dreed,

Graham

Graham I really think that you need to moderate the tone of your posting.
Dreed is at least the second individual that you have accused of being a troll on this forum despite the cogent and factual nature of the information that they are sharing.
When you accused me of being a troll I was so surprised that I actually looked up the definition of word as it pertains to internet usage.
I was not being a troll and neither is Dreed.
You are banding around a highly offensive term and applying it to individuals with whom you disagree.
That does not give you the right to be offensive.

Think about it.

Tony Jay

HSakols

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:55 am »

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 02:54:10 pm »

:o    :'(

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 06:57:54 pm »

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/chains.htm

Particularly the part where it says:

And if I don't put on chains?

You will be subject to a citation (up to $5,000) if you fail to put on chains when required. Further, if you don't have chains with you, you may have to call a tow truck to supply chains for you (this could cost up to a few hundred dollars and is not covered by AAA; the wait can be several hours).

Countless accidents are caused by motorists who lose control because they don't have chains, and many of those drivers have winter driving experience. Don't be responsible for injuring someone, damaging vehicles, or inconveniencing hundreds of other park visitors by causing an accident: use chains when required and drive with caution.

HSakols

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:51:41 pm »

Today the Valley was clear with no chain restrictions, but going up toward Wawona was icy in spots.  Here what today looked like.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

If considering a trip to Yosemite, remember that the snowpack is around 65% of normal. This means early running out of water for the falls. I would expect them to be basically dry by the end of July. On the other hand, it usually means the Tioga Road will open sooner than normal, giving access to the wonderful high country. If planning a trip, best to check on conditions just before you go. As far as the big chain controversy goes, I have been to Yosemite a zillion times in all seasons. I have never needed chains. But I always carried them... To be unprepared is very foolish indeed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up