Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God's own county  (Read 2469 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
God's own county
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:57:31 pm »

Yorkshire is known (at least it is to Yorkshiremen) as 'God's own county'. Having seen some parts of it, this God character is welcome to it, but the Dales are quite lovely. In this case, a shot near Ingleton, with an appropriate appearance from some crepuscular rays, aka 'God beams'

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: God's own county
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 08:36:58 pm »

Lovely!

On a side note, occurred to me that it must had taken an awful lot of man hours to build those walls, no?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »

Being somewhat of a blithering idiot when it comes to English lore, might I inquire if that is part of Hadrian's wall, or is there any of that left standing?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:49 pm »

Gorgeous shot, Bill!

And my back aches, too, just thinking about building that wall.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »

This brings back memories of crossing the Dales some years back.
I marvelled at those intricate stone walls and the effort and craftmanship that went into building them.
I also remember those beautiful emerald green fields and it occurred to me that those fields were the prior rocky hillsides from which building materials for the walls originate.
The farming term is 'land improvement' - to us it is just damn pretty - just like the picture!

Tony Jay

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:51:27 am »

Being somewhat of a blithering idiot when it comes to English lore, might I inquire if that is part of Hadrian's wall, or is there any of that left standing?

There are quite a few parts of Hadrian's Wall still standing but Ingleton is about 100 miles south. There are thousands of miles of dry stone walls all over England, and beautiful works of art they are.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:36:11 am »

Not only England but Scotland and Ireland. If my ageing memory is correct it was the Irish who were the first builders and so many so far from roads that were used to carry the rocks. I think Bill was one of the first to help build them? ;D A nice image Bill and makes you think about spring and winter begone.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:44:20 am »

Fantastic shot, Bill. I can picture you standing there waiting for the light to be perfect. It is.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:10:40 am »

Lovely!

On a side note, occurred to me that it must had taken an awful lot of man hours to build those walls, no?

It's an art. They're drystone walls, no mortar. Superb things.

stamper

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:30:04 am »

Or as we say in Scotland ..... a dryestane dyke.  :)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 03:05:58 pm »

I think this is a lovely image with great potential. The composition is great, and the "God rays" make the image. That being said, I'd like to see a little more "snap" in the foreground. It'd be easy to overdo (as I often do!), but I think it would increase visual appeal, at least to me. Hope this is helpful.

LoisWakeman

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »

Chris - drystone walls are a feature of several areas in England - each has a different appearance according to the country rock (e.g. limestone or gritstone in Yorkshire, granite boulders in Cornwall, zig-zag slate in parts of Cornwall and Devon). They are thought to have been made over a prolonged period by clearing fieldstones and putting them to good use. Many are sadly neglected now. In my part of the country, Devon banks are the norm: stone and rubble banks, with earth, turf, and usually a topping of hedgerow shrubs.

Hadrian's Wall is a somewhat more massive structure, using the Whin Sill outcrop as its foundation for some part. It is alive and well (worth visiting).

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 05:05:17 pm »

Speaking about drystone walls... I just finished watching "Island at War," a fictional Channel Island story from WWII. Building such a wall, and commenting about how they are built, played an important part in several episodes.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »

... I'd like to see a little more "snap" in the foreground. It'd be easy to overdo (as I often do!), but I think it would increase visual appeal, at least to me. Hope this is helpful.

OK, here goes ... whaddya think?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 05:21:20 pm »

OK, here goes ... whaddya think?

Excellent! I was reluctant to download and give an example, but the new version fits with what I was thinking. Hope that was OK.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 05:58:28 pm »

I think the change to the foreground is an improvement - thanks for the suggestion, and thanks everyone else for the encouraging comments.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »

Lovely!

According to my father (a font of all knowledge) dry stone walling was predominantly built during the Napoleonic wars, [snip] I got all boring and maudlin there, so I have edited this post and snipped it out  :)

Stone walls in the UK really are extensive and beautiful, how they were put there and for what ever reason doesn't really matter. The best I have seen in the UKI is in North Yorkshire near and around Malham Cove - well worth a visit.

Very nice shot Bill – I don’t think it is God rays in the UK, don’t we call them Jacobs Ladders or something?

…and I will not take the opportunity to talk about snow or the lack of it  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:10:10 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »

... I don’t think it is God rays in the UK, don’t we call them Jacobs Ladders or something?

They're crepuscular rays as far as I'm concerned, but God rays otherwise. Not being particularly well-versed in Judeo-Christian myth, I've no idea who Jacob was. He obviously had a ladder; was he a window cleaner or something?  ;)

BTW, we had snow today

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »

They're crepuscular rays as far as I'm concerned, but God rays otherwise. Not being particularly well-versed in Judeo-Christian myth, I've no idea who Jacob was. He obviously had a ladder; was he a window cleaner or something?  ;)

BTW, we had snow today

:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up