Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Night Glow  (Read 5225 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Night Glow
« on: February 23, 2013, 03:42:25 am »

For all the hundreds of miles i travel each year with the the camera, it was such a pleasure to grab this one....on the spur of the moment after heavy snow i headed out 5 mins from my house for a night shoot.

Night Glow by shaun-walby photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Night Glow
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:20:17 am »

That is a lovely shot, Shaun. The lone tree, the walls, the copse on the right and above all, of course, the magical light, all work beautifully. If I have one criticism, it's that there's a little too much featureless snow at the bottom, compared with the sky above the topmost branches. I think the photo would feel better balanced if some were removed.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:11:48 am »

I agree, great image Shaun.
Love the story behind this image too!
In my mind the foreground as it is provides balance for the sky but it may be worthwhile doing the crop and seeing what it looks like as per Jeremy's suggestion.

I am intrigued to know whether the light is from the setting sun or perhaps a settlement over the hill.

Tony Jay

Praki

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:01:22 am »

Beautiful image. Could you give the exposure (many seconds?)
Thanks.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:30:06 am »

Viewed on black in flickr, the snow at the bottom shows much more detail. I think the light source must be a setting sun (still above the horizon, but quite aways down the hill) to provide that much eveness of light. I am quite enthralled with this image. My only niggle is the somewhat oversharpened appearance on the tree (halo) but I believe it is more from jpeg compression than anything else.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

shaunw

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:31:48 am »

Thanks Jeremy Tony and Praki...re the crop yer ill certainly be making several version of it iam currently into the 16:9 ratio/crop...exposure time was 3.2 secs, re the light source for all you romantics sadly it isn't the setting sun.

Thanks for looking comments
shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:34:06 am »

Did you enhance the light with filters. I'm quite interested in your technique.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

dhancock

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:24 am »

Yes, great job composing your shot. I think your horizon (as others have said) could be a little lower, but it is still interesting how it is.

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:49 am »

the light source for all you romantics sadly it isn't the setting sun.

UK Light Pollution Map
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:38:00 pm by Isaac »

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:41 pm »

For all the hundreds of miles i travel each year with the the camera, it was such a pleasure to grab this one....on the spur of the moment after heavy snow i headed out 5 mins from my house for a night shoot.

Very, very nice!

I might even be tempted to go the other way to what people are suggesting and clone out all the background bushes etc on the top of the snow line, making it even more graphical and simple, snow, tree, sky. It is a really good image as it is, but I would defintiely be tempted to hit the 'S' key and give it a try just to see what it looked like.

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 03:29:45 pm »

As I already posted on your Flickr: "Shaun, this one is simply exquisite!"

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 06:28:51 pm »

Very, very nice!

I might even be tempted to go the other way to what people are suggesting and clone out all the background bushes etc on the top of the snow line, making it even more graphical and simple, snow, tree, sky. It is a really good image as it is, but I would defintiely be tempted to hit the 'S' key and give it a try just to see what it looked like.

Dave
Very nice indeed! But I don't want to lose that little clump of bushes. The tree feels as if it's holding a converstaion with them!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »

Very, very nice!

Dave

I agree with Dave.  The simplicity of the sky and foreground with smooth transition of shadow and color juxtaposed with bare tree is the essence of the photo.  In my opinion this photo is great as is, but for me the perfect shot would be the removal of the background hill on the left and the rock on the right.  I could agree to lowering the horizon just a touch to get closer to the 2/3 rule, but that's not too big a factor for me.  Good work!  Still learning to take these photos myself.
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 05:27:48 am »

Wonderful light and hues.

francois

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:51 am »

I'm late but I can only say Bravo… A truly magical image!
Francois

walter.sk

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:18 am »

Great shot!  Compelling composition, exciting use of the light.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 06:39:38 pm »

Beautiful work.  Great light indeed.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

MTGFender

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 08:18:57 am »

2-thumb up!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Pramote

shaunw

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 02:14:15 am »

Chris Daniel, Dave, Slobodan,Eric,Slim,Paulo,Francois,Walter,Mike and MGTFender...thanks for thoughts everyone, apologies for late reply and minimal comments of late...new machine upgrade.

Re how it was made 5d2 with 17-40L and that was that....nil filtration and very little done in PP, re losing the trees in the BG....not for me they add important visual tension and convey range/depth.

Cheers shaun

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up