Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: High MP Canon anytime soon?  (Read 220738 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
High MP Canon anytime soon?
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:02:47 pm by KLaban »

MrSmith

Re: High MP Canon anytime soon?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »

Only canon can answer that.
The revisions being made to lenses and their improved sharpness and resolving power would suggest its a when not if.
My guess would be within 2 years  ;D

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:22:45 pm »

The rumor mill says 2014. But who really knows.

There is also talk of new sensor fabrication technology to come on line to improve DR and banding noise etc. Perhaps similar technology to Sony's exmor

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:44:19 pm »

dam... thought I had logged onto DPreview when I saw this thread.....
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:09:29 pm »

DPreview?

Somewhere you hang?

Not likely.... its full of rumour mongering.. here front page didn't even have to search. Plenty of posts there to wade through for anyone so inclined in rumour...
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:27:41 pm »

Hi,

My guess is that it may take some time. Canon is said to build a new (0.18 micron fab). I guess they need better than 0.5 microns to catch Nikon.

Canon could make a higher resolution sensor any day, but it would lag Nikon/Sony sensors even more in low ISO DR than the case is now.

Best regards
Erik

Thread title says it all.

When you look into those crystal balls do you see any hope that Canon will introduce a high MP camera to rival the Nikon D800 anytime soon?
Erik Kaffehr

hjulenissen

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 04:56:55 am »

Thanks to all for your prophecies.

Right, I'm off to join Josh-H on DPreview!

If you are so inclined, you might also like to check out the forums at www.canonrumors.com

-h

stamper

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:03:11 am »

Someone said the other day that this site is not a rumours site and he didn't want it to go that way. I agree. I haven't been on Nikonians for about a year but when I last viewed it the rumours were rife about different lenses/cameras. Hopefully this site won't go that way.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:38:49 am »

Did he post this as a thread with the likelihood that the rumour would multiply out of proportion? Do you honestly think it brightens up a Sunday morning, or any morning?  ;D

stamper

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:06:24 am »

Only you can answer that. The consequences of starting a rumour is that it usually multiplies out of proportion with a mixture of stirring, half truths or outright fibs. You may have had the best of intentions in mind but rumours being rumours they are rarely truthful.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rumour

stamper

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 06:39:45 am »

You are becoming a little bit obtuse now? Look at your first post and you will see the beginnings of a rumour? I think you should move on from this discussion. Others have mentioned the word rumour. I do not wish for this to get out of hand. My initial post was about this site not becoming a place for rumours. 8)

<Exactly what rumour are you accusing me of spreading?>

Unquote

<Nothing quite like a bit of rumour and prophecy to brighten up dreary Sunday.>

Unquote
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:42:51 am by stamper »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: High MP Canon anytime soon? Of course they could...
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 10:44:07 am »

Hi,

Very obviously Canon could make a 46 MP camera by just upscaling the D7 sensor. I don't know why they don't.

Sony, who makes the sensor for the D800 has not released used the 36 MP sensor in the Alpha 99, for untold reasons. I guess that it has things to do with thermal noise, video capability and things like that.

Best regards
Erik

Then perhaps you should stop mentioning them.

All I did - with Michael's post in mind - was to ask for opinion on the likelihood of a new camera anytime soon.

Thanks to those who replied to my question.

Erik Kaffehr

MrSmith

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:52:46 am »

Somebody was starting rumours in the Medium Format Pentax 645 thread. Do the modarators know about this?
 ::)

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 12:42:16 pm »

I love Fleetwood Mac.

Rob C

John Camp

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 04:34:03 pm »

I love Fleetwood Mac.
Rob C

I've never been a fan of either the Fleetwood or the Mac. The Fleetwood was nearly 20 feet long and got like 10 miles per gallon, if that. The Mac is strictly for people who use computers like a toasters -- Windows is much more flexible. And Windows 8 is definitely more interesting than OSX.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 07:11:56 pm »

Rumors are a fun waste of time.  ;)

Now, they are not always innocent though. Considering the significant migration of high end users to Nikon these past few years, Canon has a huge vested interest in making us believe that they are still in the race.

Their all marketing strategy has been based for years on the notion that a majority of pros use their equipment because it is the best. We all agree that Canon still releases excellent lenses and good cameras, but the gap between the marketing theory of being the best and the reality of the cameras they have released vs the competition since the D3 in 2007 is putting this communication strategy at risk. Now it is DR/resolution, it had been high ISO image quality for years before that.

So every single high end shooter deciding to stay on board with Canon another week because of the belief that something is coming soon probably results in tens of indirect sales to the general public further down the road.

LL is mostly irrelevant because it touches such a small fraction of the photographic crowds that is mostly high end anyway. But Josh is right that DPreview is infested with rumors spreaders. There is no reason to belief that some of those rumors are not driven/orchestrated by companies themselves.

In my mind, the peak of rumoring happened a few months ago when false rumors were spread that the DxOmark DR results of the Canon 1Dx were going to equal those of the Nikon D4. The actual results were very far from confirming these rumors, so there is no doubt whatsoever that someone simply invented this story. As Agatha Christie used to ask... "who does beneft from the crime?".  ;D

This is really interesting, because instead of focusing on product releases, that rumor (attack?) focused on one of the perceived root causes of the demise of Canon as a company seen as a leading sensor provider. DxOMark is of course simply exposing facts, but this is not relevant in a communication war. Facts only have impacts if they are known, so it is just as efficient to communicate falsely about the entity communicating the fact (DxOMark) as it is to communicate falsely about the facts themselves (like implying that something better is coming - which is understood by many as "we already have better technology today").

Why is it so important to win this war now? Well, because more and more photographers really are doing their last camera purchase for years to come. And the company winning the camera war hopes to also secure recurring lens revenue for years to come, with the multiplicative effect described above between pros and the mass public.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:24:21 pm by BernardLanguillier »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 01:24:20 am »

Hi,

I don't like big cars.

Regarding operating systems, I have used IBM Mainframes, CDCs, Sun workstations, Silicon Graphics, HP, Linux and Windows since 3.0 and I would say I still prefer the Mac. But, I prefer a computer that works over one that is flexible. I have much more maintenance issues with the PC-s around me than with the three Macs I own.

Best regards
Erik

I've never been a fan of either the Fleetwood or the Mac. The Fleetwood was nearly 20 feet long and got like 10 miles per gallon, if that. The Mac is strictly for people who use computers like a toasters -- Windows is much more flexible. And Windows 8 is definitely more interesting than OSX.
Erik Kaffehr

hjulenissen

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 03:06:46 am »

I have much more maintenance issues with the PC-s around me than with the three Macs I own.
For me it is the other way around. My recent mac needs frequent forced restarts, slows down to a grind at strange times and needs at least as much attention to all kinds of updates as my PCs.

-h

JohnCox123

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:28 pm »

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:01:19 pm by JohnCox123 »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:10 am »

Interesting is not a term I would apply to Windows 8, complete rubbish I think more fitting. You need to spend a lot of time finding out how to turn off all those new features just to make it useable.
At which stage in it's development did someone come up with that swipe idea and why did no one tell them it's junk?
It makes using the computer for work impossible.
Why does the main screen come with mostly links to adverts trying to get you to spend money. If I want a link to an online store, I will pick the store not Microsoft. I will pick who I travel with and which newspaper I want to read as well.
Windows 8 is a very bad joke, you do not spend time tweaking it to how you like it, you spend ages fixing/deleting the new features just so you can use it. It's turned computers into android phones. If all you want to do is tweet, Facebook and spend money it is probably the best around as a tool to work with don't go near it.
Kevin.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up