Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any sign of LR5 yet?  (Read 7461 times)

PhotoEcosse

Any sign of LR5 yet?
« on: February 15, 2013, 03:03:00 pm »

The fact that Amazon are now punting LR4 at a fraction of its original price does suggest that an upgrade is not far away.

Has anyone seen a Beta or Pre-Release version of LR5 yet?

If so, what new features have been included?
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Any sign of LR5 yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »

Those people who may have would be violating their NDA's to say so...you are asking a question that should not be answered (and thus, should not be asked here since this ain't no rumor site).

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:54 pm »

Those people who may have would be violating their NDA's to say so...you are asking a question that should not be answered (and thus, should not be asked here since this ain't no rumor site).

Here in Washington, we typically translate comments such as this as:

As you are well aware, we are unable to comment on ongoing intelligence operations.

Shortly thereafter, there is usually a big explosion.

It's my understanding that those of us who have popped for an Adobe "Creative Cloud" subscription can expect to be licensed for LR5, or any intermediate incremental point patches, without additional charge.  Lightroom was not initially included in the subscription bundle, but Adobe customer service tells me it is now.  (Since I regularly use a number of other Adobe applications, including Photoshop, Acrobat and Dreamweaver, the subscription was a no-brainer.  YMMV.)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:39 pm »

Any sign of LR5 yet?
yes and many... but w/ Schewe being on duty I can't say more... let us meet well past midnight Chicago time.

dreed

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:26:50 am »

Here in Washington, we typically translate comments such as this as:

As you are well aware, we are unable to comment on ongoing intelligence operations.

Shortly thereafter, there is usually a big explosion.

You're missing the bit where a person that was familiar with the operation spoke on the condition of anonymity and informed me that...

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:12 am »

I wasn't asking for rumours. I was asking for facts, if any were available. NDAs (no apostrophe by the way)? I have beta tested many software releases (including Adobe) and never been asked to sign any undertaking of secrecy.

hjulenissen

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:21:34 am »

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/13/3959868/photoshop-is-a-city-for-everyone-how-adobe-endlessly-rebuilds-its

"Knoll has long since passed the baton; these days he does most of his image processing in his current project, Lightroom. He’s not sentimental about his old city. "Computers have changed dramatically since I did Photoshop 1.0," he says. If Photoshop’s a city, Lightroom’s a clean lot, ready to be built up for today’s users."
Ahh. Brasilia...

So you can't make Photoshop new again. But could you rewrite it?

"We essentially have," answers Thomas Knoll, referring to his own Lightroom, "but it comes out very differently.” It seems unfair that one man should get two Photoshops in one lifetime, but he earns it by being an incredible nerd about all this stuff.

Knoll started the Lightroom project a decade ago while on vacation. Fed up with his camera's file format, he reverse-engineered it. So began Photoshop's Camera RAW plug-in, which now supports hundreds of cameras — most of them still painstakingly reverse-engineered by Adobe.
Not Dave Coffin?

Right now he's working on a better, more sophisticated way to do HDR images, to combat what he calls "the Harry Potter look." He seems unstoppable.
LR5?

-h

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:08:53 am »

I have beta tested many software releases (including Adobe) and never been asked to sign any undertaking of secrecy.

Really?  Things must have changed in the software industry then.  I can't recall any occasion when I wasn't required to sign an NDA prior to becoming a Beta tester—some of which included restrictions on discussing the product even with employees of the manufacturer other than those specified in the agreement (because they were unaware of the feature set or release plan and, as a Beta tester, I was).

I'm not referring to so-called public Betas here, where a company makes time-limited versions available for anyone to download.

Whitney Dunn

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 12:07:32 pm »

I haven't, but a little idle speculation never hurts. Lightroom 2 was released on July 29, 2008 and LR3 beta on October 22, 2009, a gap of 15 months. LR3 was released on June 8, 2010 and LR4 beta January 10, 2012 - 19 months.

You can take a guess at when we might see the first beta of LR5 using that range. 15 months from the LR4 release, March 5, 2012, puts us at June, 2013, and 19 months at October. Of course, if you say the pattern is each beta takes 4 months longer to arrive than the previous one, we'd be looking at 23 months and February, 2014. Personally, I think we'll see it this year.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:41:22 pm »

I wasn't asking for rumours. I was asking for facts, if any were available. NDAs (no apostrophe by the way)? I have beta tested many software releases (including Adobe) and never been asked to sign any undertaking of secrecy.

I happened to find some small bug in C1 once... developers send me a link to download a beta version to test that it was fixed not only w/o any NDA, but even did not ask who I am at all (note that it was a beta version of a new major release, C1 vN+1 - not the major version that was publicly available C1 vN)... granted Adobe has a stricter policy, but if I am not mistaken, I run during my searches for Eric Chan's postings (such a great source of knowledge !), into a topic on this site exactly, couple of years old or so, exactly where mr Schewe went on a rant against somebody who turned out to have a different NDA than mr Schewe and was allowed to post... mr Schewe if I remember correctly was so incensed that (oh my God !) Adobe dared to allow somebody else something more than he was allowed... that was quite a show, wasn't it ?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:47:11 pm by Vladimirovich »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »

Not Dave Coffin?

"We have a good two-way relationship with Dave (Coffin, of dcraw). Sometimes he helps us out. Sometimes we help him out." (c) Eric Chan

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:25 pm »

Knoll started the Lightroom project a decade ago while on vacation. Fed up with his camera's file format, he reverse-engineered it. So began Photoshop's Camera RAW plug-in, which now supports hundreds of cameras — most of them still painstakingly reverse-engineered by Adobe.

Actually, Thomas did NOT start Lightroom (and actually resisted it for a while). LR was started by Mark Hamburg. It took a while for Thomas to buy into LR and work with Mark to combine the ACR/LR raw processing pipeline.

And yes, if you are an actual beta tester of Photoshop or Lightroom, you do sign an NDA as part of the signup for testing. People who break their NDA are ejected from the beta testing–it's happened a few times over the years. I don't know of a case where Adobe sued anybody, but Apple has. Apple is famous for going after people who violate their NDAs...

Any real information regarding LR 5 would be considered proprietary information by Adobe until or unless releases any public info about LR 5.

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 04:49:27 pm »

...couple of years old or so, exactly where mr Schewe went on a rant against somebody who turned out to have a different NDA than mr Schewe and was allowed to post... mr Schewe if I remember correctly was so incensed that (oh my God !) Adobe dared to allow somebody else something more than he was allowed... that was quite a show, wasn't it ?

Your memory is a bit faulty...the problem was that Adobe allowed NAPP users access to the beta and did indeed allow them to post info and screen shots out from underneath their NDAs. The problem was that Adobe didn't bother to inform other beta testers that they had released them from their NDAs. It was quickly figured out and the issue was settled. It was Adobe's fault for not informing the beta testers that they were released from their NDAs...and it was NOT the fault of the NAPP testers who had been released from their NDAs. And yes, I was angry with Adobe for not informing the real beta testers that their NDAs were lifted. Go back and read the thread that TomRock posted...you'll see that I apologized to him once Adobe made it clear he did not violate his NDA.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06:34 pm »

I find this discussion - that I inadvertently started - intriguing if not altogether surprising.

In a democratic (relatively speaking) country such as UK, we maybe have both views and laws that are somewhat different from less democratic countries such as USA. There are even differences in the legal framework between Scotland and England in many respects. What is common to both Scotland and England, however, is the supremacy of the individual over corporate entities. In many areas of the law, individuals cannot "give away their rights" even if they want to, contract defaults must always be positive rather than negative and the Courts will always favour the private citizen over the commercial company so long as no criminal offence has been committed by the individual.

Examples of this are that no "manufacturer's warranty" can give the consumer lesser rights than they have under common law or statute law, no retailer can tell a consumer to "take up a problem with the manufacturer" and statements such as "by downloading this software, you agree...." have no legal force - a consumer would have to positively agree to conditions rather than having them imposed by default (and would then have a statutory cooling-off period to change his mind.)

There are costs, of course. One of the reasons that some types of goods (including cameras) are slightly more expensive in UK is that manufacturers/distributors/retailers have to cost into the retail price the consequences of their customers having substantial legal consumer rights.

Relative to this discussion, the right of the citizen to freedom of speech and freedom of information would always take precedence over any attempted "gagging order" by a corporate entity.

Edit to PS - If you want to see the type of discussion we had about the Beta of LR4 in January 2012, click here
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:11:57 pm by PhotoEcosse »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »

Relative to this discussion, the right of the citizen to freedom of speech and freedom of information would always take precedence over any attempted "gagging order" by a corporate entity.
I think you've got this issue out of context.
If you want to take part in testing confidential pre-production software it seems perfectly reasonable that you agree not to publicly discuss the product. There's no 'freedom of speech' issue as far as I can see. You don't have to test it, it's your choice. For employees it's a perfectly reasonable,  and very common, requirement of their employment that they don't disclose their employer's confidential information.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 12:34:06 pm »

yes and many... but w/ Schewe being on duty I can't say more... let us meet well past midnight Chicago time.

Jeff is just getting warmed up after midnight Chicago time!

Bottom line has always been: Those that know don't talk. Those that don't know talk too much.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:11:27 pm »

Andrew, I always heard it a little different.  "Those that know don't talk. Those that talk don't know."

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 06:12:26 pm »

You guys talk while others download....

LR5 Beta download available on Wikileaks.  :P

Julian was bored out of his mind one morning.......<<<<Some of those that talk know something, they just know too much.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 10:22:31 am »

Ah screw the NDA, here you go.  The beta is awesome and is scheduled for release on 6/21/13 for $199! Woot!

sniper

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:23 am »

Ah screw the NDA, here you go.  The beta is awesome and is scheduled for release on 6/21/13 for $199! Woot!

And when will a version that works be released??    ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up