Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the perfect landscape photography support vehicle?  (Read 72152 times)

telyt

Re: What is the perfect landscape photography support vehicle?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2013, 08:30:39 pm »

My ideal vehicle is no longer made, a VW Syncro:

Mine too.  Alas, parts are getting hard to find.  My solution for now is a used 4x4 Dodge Dakota with an A. R. E. topper.  The A. R. E. topper is very secure, the Dakota is US Forest Service green and the price was less than my favorite lens.  The green color commands some respect in the places I typically use the truck  ;)

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 01:48:25 am »

BMW R1200GS Adventure motorcycle.   ;D 

Actually, it is far from perfect, but it sure makes the trip out there more fun.  I ride it when I can. 

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 03:21:26 pm »

Watched the latest Top Gear show last night; partly worth watching if you can get beyond the greying juveniles, and you'll see an interesting new Range Rover. It's rather expensive, but it beat an Army vehicle designed for driverless driving across some military zone in the States.

Just an idea.

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2013, 03:46:13 pm »

Watched the latest Top Gear show last night; partly worth watching if you can get beyond the greying juveniles, and you'll see an interesting new Range Rover.

It is a good looking vehicle but unless it is used on the tarmac or just for sand driving it is very limited as as offroad vehicle.
The wheel and rim design means that the distance from the road surface of the tyre to the rim is far too small for useful offroad work.
One will continually be smashing up tyes and rims.

Tony Jay

TMARK

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »

BMW R1200GS Adventure motorcycle.   ;D 

Actually, it is far from perfect, but it sure makes the trip out there more fun.  I ride it when I can. 

Just remember to turn off the ABS when you leave a hardball road. I didn't last times I rode one and effectively had no breaks down a long track in the Sierra Madres. 

I think an F800GS is a smarter move. The 1200GS is to me too big. I with they made an 800 airhead.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2013, 06:31:28 pm »

I think an F800GS is a smarter move. The 1200GS is to me too big. I with they made an 800 airhead.

They did make an 800 airhead.  In fact, it was the original GS.  I owned the R100GS and always wished for the 800. Smoother and without the dreaded Valeo starter.

The Suzuki V-Strom currently fills all my tick-boxes.  Huge flat-topped tank for long range and space for a tank bag for the cameras.  Excellent rear rack, too.

How many times have you seen a perfect image while driving, only to find that there's absolutely nowhere to pull off the road?  A motorcycle on board solves this perfectly.

That'd be a landscape photography support vehicle support vehicle. : )

telyt

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 06:40:52 pm »

... new Range Rover. It's rather expensive...

Rather expensive??? How about idiotically expensive?  If these are selling, PT Barnum was right.

TMARK

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:59 pm »

They did make an 800 airhead.  In fact, it was the original GS.  I owned the R100GS and always wished for the 800. Smoother and without the dreaded Valeo starter.

The Suzuki V-Strom currently fills all my tick-boxes.  Huge flat-topped tank for long range and space for a tank bag for the cameras.  Excellent rear rack, too.

How many times have you seen a perfect image while driving, only to find that there's absolutely nowhere to pull off the road?  A motorcycle on board solves this perfectly.

That'd be a landscape photography support vehicle support vehicle. : )

The V-Strom is really nice. I'm a street guy otherwise I would have a V-Strom. BMW should make a smaller airhead. 1200 is just not necessary. The R1200R is a great bike with a too big engine for city riding.  I have a Monster 796 and a few old Moto Guzzis. The bike I like best is a 2009 Moto Guzzi V750 Classic. It has some mods, but is pretty stock. Most fun to ride in the city.

And yes, pulling over to shoot a frame on a bike is awesome. I do his all the time. I'll see these old industrial sites and find. Narrow spot to stick the bike.

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:08 am »

When I'm traveling, I find motels to be the answer, even if I have to get up early or stay out late. If you're not fussy, you could spend half a year in motels for the cost of $10,000 in mods or upgrades to a stock vehicle, and you would be paying the motel costs over a space (probably) of years, rather than up front.

One of the benefits of my old Astro is cost. I only have about $10k into a vehicle with 50k miles on it and it serves very well for a daily driver. The old Astro is cheap and multi talented if nothing else. I have used to spend a night or two out then get a hotel room to refresh in, have a real meal.. Hotel is just never the same as just being there when the sun starts to come up, especially when you're a few hours from civilization.. (-:}
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:14 am »

I was going to put "Pete's Diaper Service" on the side of Frito. Nobody's going to want anything that's in there. :)

That's just too funny. I used to use a diaper bag for my camera gear and one time while I was shopping my car was broken into and the bag was just tossed into the back hatch area. No real damage other than a broken vent window. Diaper bag was good cover for the camera, I still have that old AE-1 Program.

NancyP

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 08:22:11 pm »

Arlon, the diaper bag idea is great. I wonder if it would fool bears as well?

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 10:57:13 am »

Arlon, the diaper bag idea is great. I wonder if it would fool bears as well?

No, I'd bet any bear with an ounce of sense has figured out that diaper bags always have a baggie of cheerios and some "animal" crackers in them!

Disposable diapers wrap nicely around your lenses too. You clould leave the bag and a few of your prized lenses properly wrapped anywhere and nobody in the world would touch them... (-:}
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:59:32 am by arlon »

tjbates

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:05 pm »

This chap seems to have the right idea. Maybe it's not for everyone?
http://georgesteinmetz.com/about/flying

NancyP

SwissRoomBox "Home On Board" tiny motor home - video
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2013, 08:16:41 pm »

Well, this was an amusing little video.
http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/optv/gear/accessories/swissroombox-home-on-board-world-innovation.html
Somehow, the old-fashioned tent seems so much easier.

Roman Racela

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2013, 09:45:46 pm »

I used to take my 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan everywhere and even took it to Patriarch Grove in the White Mountains in the Eastern Sierras. Hahaha.

I was beating up the Infiniti so I finally bought a used 1998 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 in year 2000 with 170,000 plus miles for $3,500. Now it has about 310,000 plus miles and still running strong. It's been everywhere in the Western U.S. and has served me well. I'm starting to see some leaks so I might retire or sell it for $2,500 this year. lol :)  I just go car camping in it when I don't feel like setting up a tent. The downside it that it only get's 18 miles per gallon of fuel so long drives get a bit pricey.

If I don't need a 4X4 vehicle I would buy a VW Jetta wagon with a TDI motor or Audi A3 wagon with TDI motor (I think AWD option is available).  Both gets close to 40 miles per gallon of diesel fuel. This may be the perfect photography support vehicle for me...a good combination of utility and fuel economy. I can put a Yakima or Thule roof-mounted hard shell cargo box so I can use the rear seats and truck and sleeping area if I need to resort to car camping.

telyt

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:06 am »

If I don't need a 4X4 vehicle I would buy a VW Jetta wagon with a TDI motor or Audi A3 wagon with TDI motor (I think AWD option is available).  Both gets close to 40 miles per gallon of diesel fuel. This may be the perfect photography support vehicle for me...a good combination of utility and fuel economy. I can put a Yakima or Thule roof-mounted hard shell cargo box so I can use the rear seats and truck and sleeping area if I need to resort to car camping.

I believe AWD is not an option with TDI  :( OTOH my Jetta Sport Wagon TDI gets about 50 mpg in highway driving. Ground clearance isn't one of its strengths.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2013, 01:06:21 am »

My perfect vehicle would be a 4x4 pickup ( like a Tacoma ) with a 4 Wheel Camper on top. Absolutely perfect for one person, works well for 2 if they get along well! Goes most anywhere with civilized comforts when you arrive.

Roman Racela

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 04:11:00 am »

I just went to the VW and Audi websites and you are correct. No AWD option on the TDI motors. Bummer! 30mpg on the AWD Audi A3 isn't that bad though. I may have to go to an Audi dealer and check out this car. But 50 mpg on your Jetta Sport Wagon TDI? Wow!!! That's crazy amazing. Who needs a Hybrid when you're getting that on a deisel motor?

I believe AWD is not an option with TDI  :( OTOH my Jetta Sport Wagon TDI gets about 50 mpg in highway driving. Ground clearance isn't one of its strengths.

tsjanik

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2013, 07:38:25 am »

I got similar mileage with a TDI Passat wagon I rented for two weeks.  The mileage was so good that at first I thought the car might have a defective fuel gauge!
But no AWD as noted; if only the VW syncro camper would return as a TDI version.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up