Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which version  (Read 795 times)

armand

• Photos
which version
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:37:05 pm »

the original color with 2 bw interpretations

RedwoodGuy

Re: which version
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

the original color with 2 bw interpretations
This is a very pleasing and interesting photograph. I was taken with it immediately, for it's simplicity and clarity of view. A bit moody, a bit mysterious. Water is an ever-fascinating subject, and this one is no exception. The color treatments are such a big part of the artist's intention that I won't dare say which you should use, other than say, use what you feel was your expression.

The green moss provides a simple and uncomplicated focal point of the photograph. And the water is rendered in an honest way and not overtly romanticized by slow motion. There's beautiful light play in the photograph, and after all, that's what it's about. The framing is excellent. There's enough, but not too much content and there are no distracting elements.

I the the technical aspects are spot on. It's getting close to being too dark, and care will have to be take in printing this, but as it shows on my screen, I think the exposure is very believable for this picture.  Very nice.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »

I tend to agree with RG. The mossy green provides a great focal point that helps me with the almost too dark tones. But I think the "almost" creates a very interesting tension. Moodiness. Honestly, I find the BW conversions somewhat too flat and too dark, respectively. But that's just me. No offense.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:11:01 pm »

I agree, Armand. The color's essential because there's nothing much else of interest there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:51:16 pm »

I do these things myself from time to time. It's something that I will stipulate makes a lot of sense to you, and I get a vague sensation that it should make sense to me. There's interesting things.. in there.. somewhere. I like a lot of the features of this photograph, I like deep shadows, I like textures and water.

It simply doesn't come together more. There's no there, there, and it stubbornly refuses to be anything but a random assemblage of stuff in a not particularly appealing arrangement. I can completely imagine myself framing this thing with micrometric precision, not THERE but... THERE! As I say, I do these things from time to time, but I think they end up being intensely personal, and more tied up with you being there at that time than you imagine.

I don't know why the feel so right to me, and such utter failures to everyone else. The gulf there is a mystery to me.

It's there, though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up