Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have I still got a good price?  (Read 3381 times)

mitchino

Have I still got a good price?
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »

I have bought a used H4D-50 with 35-90 lens and a few accessories from a small dealer in Portugal. Paid £9,500 inc delivery. Camera arrived this week, it's in as new condition with 7000 clicks. Very pleased! However, when checking through the paperwork, I notice that there is a release note for an H3Dii-50. Then I checked what firmware was installed - R365, and I read online that an upgraded H3Dii-50 does not get the extra LCD resolution/real estate that this firmware provided. After taking a pic, the LCD on my unit displays info bars top and bottom. So I think I've bought an upgraded H3Dii-50 rather than a genuine H4D-50.

What I want to know is - have I still paid a good price for the kit, or have I paid too much? I have a 30 day warranty/right to return for a full refund.

I notice this on the Hasselblad UK website:

H4D-50 customers, who have upgraded from the H3DII-50 and H3DII-50MS, can have their camera further upgraded with a new digital shell unit including new electronics and display for MRSP 1.990€ excl. VAT. This offer is valid until March 31, 2012.

If I haven't paid a silly price - is this further upgrade worth it? And is it still available?

jerome_m

Re: Have I still got a good price?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »

I have bought a used H4D-50 with 35-90 lens and a few accessories from a small dealer in Portugal. Paid £9,500 inc delivery.

So, you are the person who bought that camera on eBay... I had an eye on it, but was not really sure I could trust that dealer. Frankly, I think that the price is pretty good, considering what lens you got with the camera. If you don't like it, send me a note!  ;D

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:31 pm »

Just contact the manufacturer, give them the serial number and they should be able to give you all the info and your options
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

For starters the seller should have been upfront with that info.

yes, I still think you had a good price. When you would buy a second hand H4D50 from the ProCentre in London you would pay 9995GBP (11.800€) excluding VAT which you might not be charged if you can provide a VAT number outside the UK. In that case you will only have the body and not the lens.

You paid 9.500€ for body plus a lens that usually sells for 2.500 to 3000euros minimum. You might say you have bought the body for appr. 6.500€. You only have a lesser screen AFAIK.

Than again, the seller should have disclosed the info.

Josef Isayo

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »

I did the firmware LCD upgrade on my H4D-40 and saw no difference in resolution.

mitchino

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:36:53 pm »

Comforting to know I haven't horribly overspent.

you are the person who bought that camera on eBay

It is me! I spent a long time sussing out the dealer and the legitimacy of the deal, though in my ignorance I didn't know you could upgrade an H3Dii-50 to an H4D-50. I know he should have disclosed the info, but I should have asked. God knows I asked every other question I could think of.

If you don't like it, send me a note!

For sure if I decide it's not for me!

Just contact the manufacturer, give them the serial number and they should be able to give you all the info and your options

I've been in touch with the head of servicing at Hasselblad UK, who has also held my hand throughout the process of buying this camera. I have to say, I have never experienced this level of service before. Not from any manufacturer of any goods I've ever owned. The charger only came with a euro two pin plug. Hasselblad are sending me a UK plug free of charge on Monday. It already feels like I'm part of a family.

When you would buy a second hand H4D50 from the ProCentre in London you would pay 9995GBP

Indeed, and commonly their kit has been well used, and looks it. The kit I've bought is in showroom condition, not a mark, almost scared to use it!

I did the firmware LCD upgrade on my H4D-40 and saw no difference in resolution.

I don't think it gives you more resolution, it just gets rid of the menu bars top and bottom, so the image fills the whole screen.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 12:10:51 am »

Hasselblad has had great customer service, parts, and repair programs at least in my experience. 
Rolleiflex USA

stevebri

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:30:59 am »

Keep it.

Get out there and use it....lots...!

Just think for a moment, would Salgado, Bresson, Avedon, Baiey, Testino, Meisel worry about the bars on the screen... Well Meisel would.... But the rest would be out there, using the camera, learning it's nuances and having fun....

It is a deal, and I'm glad you got it, now take some cracking shots and show us...!

S

jerome_m

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:31:26 am »

I have bought a used H4D-50 with 35-90 lens and a few accessories from a small dealer in Portugal. Paid £9,500 inc delivery. Camera arrived this week, it's in as new condition with 7000 clicks. Very pleased! However, when checking through the paperwork, I notice that there is a release note for an H3Dii-50. Then I checked what firmware was installed - R365, and I read online that an upgraded H3Dii-50 does not get the extra LCD resolution/real estate that this firmware provided. After taking a pic, the LCD on my unit displays info bars top and bottom. So I think I've bought an upgraded H3Dii-50 rather than a genuine H4D-50.

There is another way to find out. According to http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h4d-50.aspx, the upgraded version does not have the electronic spirit level. So just check whether you can use the electronic spirit level to know which version you have.

mitchino

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:25 am »

@ stvebri: Get out there and use it....lots...!

You're right - shouldn't sweat the small stuff. I just had a slight worry that I'd been duped a tiny bit. However...

@ Jerome_m: the upgraded version does not have the electronic spirit level

I checked and I have the spirit level - and I am able to review images without menu bars top and bottom. So I think I have a genuine H4D-50 back, or a fully upgraded H3D-50. Yipee!
Pages: [1]   Go Up