Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon ImagePrograf 6100 printing blotchy black ink only - halp!  (Read 7982 times)

Bullfrog

canon ImagePrograf 6100 printing blotchy black ink only - halp!
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:29 am »

Hello

I have a 6100 24" Canon wide format printer.  I have been printing without problems until today.  The problem is only with an image with an intense area of black - it prints fine across the entire width of the canvas except for some small blotches of uneven ink which leap frog across the canvas in an almost straight line running about 1/4 across the page.  (I'm printing 24" wide canvas)

I set the cleaning routine to clean the heads , then replaced the maitenance cartrige (error message came on) then cleaned again.

I printed another 24 " wide canvas which is predominantly white with no problems.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Bullfrog

Re: canon ImagePrograf 6100 printing blotchy black ink only - halp!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:49:55 pm »

Continuing update for anyone who wants to chip in.

The lines/streaks or "blobs" are vertical.  I ran both cleaning routines (A) and (B) and the nozzle check.  The print out of nozzle check appeared fine - no faint areas and no streaks or blobs.  In spite of this, I would print another image - and it would have the same problem - almost always in the same vertical position which is about 4 or 5 inches from the left side of the 24" role.

Then I ran the printer alignment routine - it did another print out - again, nothing to my eye visibly wrong.  All bands were completed and printed without issue.

After wasting almost 7 meters of paper, and goodness knows how much ink (through cleaning) - I changed the paper to enhanced velvet.

And printed an image with a predominantly white background. 

This time the printer splattered tiny amounts of black ink in the same vertical position (admitting it was much less and barely perceptible and only on the very top (ie at the beginning of the print job) - in spite of the fact there is no black background or requirement for black ink in that area of the image.

So, today I called Canon and will have a technician come out.  While they won't say for sure without looking at the machine, based on my description, he said it could be the drum...and worst case the printer heads. 

???
 Based on all the research I have done on line in the last 3 days, nothing suggests a print head problem and I have no idea what a drum problem is,  so any opinions, comments or thoughts are welcome.

Regardless, I will update this thread if for no other reason to let others who own this printer of the outcome for informational purposes.
Thanks

Landscapes

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:54:29 pm »

By any chance... is this at all like the problem I had???  See in this post..

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/view/FAQ/56930716

As you can see, nobody replied.  It still happens, luckily quite rarely no.  The good thing is that when I print on canvas, the area affected gets covered by tape.  Also, I just noticed a bit in the last week where the color was green, not blue like all the other times.  It is clearly just one color channel, but now another one.  It is so infrequent now though that I don't worry about it.  I assume it could perhaps be a seal issue, where maybe the printhead isn't totally sealed against the lines feeding into it, so the slightest loss of suction can case a bit of ink to spill out??  I would love to look at the printhead but fear I will mess it up more if I poke around too much. 

It is very frustrating when it ruins a print, but thankfully it happens quite rarely now.

Bullfrog

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:38 am »

Hi KP
wow when you said blobs you really meant it.  :o

No unfortunately I cannot say it looks the same but after thinking on it I've decided to try replacing the Matt Black ink cartridge which needs replacement anyway now since I've consumed ink through cleaning and test printing several black images.

I am going to tell Canon to hold off coming until I try cartridge replacement and also, test to see if it improves the more I print becuase the last print I did on velvet was almost perfect.  

Your point about the seal leaking seems to make sense - while I"m not technical it must be something like that because black ink was appearing on a white print.  

I also need to correct an earlier statement - after viewing the nozzle check print out in better light I see the same small "spatter" of black ink on the Left nozzle which is being "splattered" lightly over top of the print out in a localized cluster in the top left quadrant as opposed to randomly all over the page.

Its unfortunately ruined all my 24" prints and I think the only possible salvage would be to print < 20" canvases.  

Thanks anyway,
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:34:14 am by Bullfrog »

Bullfrog

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

I replaced the matt black ink cartridge and printed the same white background image at maximum dpi (highest printer quality setting) and its perfect
 ;)

Incredibly (and somewhat annoying) the maintenance cartridge is at 60% and I only replaced it Saturday and did (I think ) about 2 or 3 cleanings. 

I hope this is the end of it and will have to try printing more this week to be sure.

Anyway, for anyone interested, I found this help /troubleshooting info for HP printers very informative even though I have a canon printer - it gave me some good ideas - far more than the Canon help offered (When I called Canon for support- they offered no help, tips, or ideas and only asked if I wanted to pay for a technician)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c01758227&product=3883002

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:53:56 am »

I think I had a similar problem on my 6100 just over a year ago. My local dealer in Southampton came out and had a look and needed to clean the area around the pump assembly (i think that is what it was), the area where the heads park was a bit gummed up.  The printer had done about four years of quite hard work by this time.  I had already replaced the printheads a year or so before as they are just treated like consumables and have a limited life.  About four months after the service I traded the printer in for a 6300 which is great.  The dealer charged about £100 for the work by the way.

Jim

Bullfrog

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:07:01 pm »

Thanks Jim.  I was away 8 months last year and the printer pretty much stayed on  - and dormant.  That probably didn't help the printer heads with lack of use.

So, I have mixed feelings about it, its certainly expensive to feed ink but I've grown accustomed to having it.

Anyway - I'm not prepared to invest $1600 CDN for 2 new print heads (current pricing) when I could lease a new 6300 or 6400 printer for about $150 month  - so if and when that happens, maybe I will turn it into a doorstop.
You sound like your printer was subjected to much heavier use.  I am hoping to get at least 2 more years.

The dealer charge here in Canada (Ontario) is $160/hour. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up