Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H3D 30mp V Nikon D800E  (Read 34017 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Hasselblad H3D 30mp V Nikon D800E
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:54:40 am »

Which one would produce better 40x60 prints?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Hasselblad H3D 30mp V Nikon D800E
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:44:17 pm »

This question is lacking sufficient background information for relevant/useful replies. Suffice it to say they can both make great large prints and they can both make awful large prints.

What kind of subject matter?
What kind of shooting style?
On tripod or hand held?
What kind of lens (wide/long/normal)? For that matter, on the H body or on a tech camera body?
etc etc etc

Far better, IMO, to tell us about what you want to do, how you would like to do it (i.e. shooting style) and then ask what the advantages and disadvantages of each system would be for you. There are (IMO) many applications where a digital back will produce a significantly nicer file for printing, and there are plenty of applications where the D800 would be a better tool.

If ALL you care about is print quality at 40x60 then the only meaningful way to answer this question is for YOU to go shoot both in a scenario similar to the one you intend to use it in, and then for YOU to print it (or have it printed) and for YOU to view and compare.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:50:41 pm by Doug Peterson »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:52:16 pm »

Rent both and shoot them side by side and discover which one works for you best to produce the type of prints you do.

Since I'm used to shooting with a Nikon D800 and shoot at the edge of light, I could probably print a better 40x60 with it than if you gave me an H3D and had me do the same thing.

However, in the studio with the H3D and good lighting, I'd might get better IQ with it over the D800.

Each is unique and each fills a different niche and only you can decide which will be the better tool.

It all boils down to the vision and craft of the photographer which will give you the best IQ. In capable hands, each tool is capable of great results.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:52:13 pm »

depends on the printer
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

NickCroken

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:47 pm »

I shot a ton with an aptus 65 so it had similar image quality to the h3d30.  In broad daylight at base ISO or under studio conditions but when the light faded the aptus was put back in the bag and the d800e shined.  Couple with top notch glass the d800e is continually blowing my mind.  I sold my hasselblad/aptus setup because I found myself using the d800e on more commercial jobs. 

Now, when you factor in the look of larger format glass you have a different problem.  This is something that I do miss a bit. 

What are you shooting and printing?  If you're shooting with the lenses stopped down and at infinity you won't really need to worry about the look of the medium format glass.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:02 pm »

I do nature photography on a tripod. It is looking like the Nikon is the camera for me until the Foveon comes out in a full frame version.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »

I do nature photography on a tripod. It is looking like the Nikon is the camera for me until the Foveon comes out in a full frame version.

What leads you to that conclusion?

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:48 pm »

Take a look at this article:

http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

This is a comparison between an IQ180 with more that twice the MP count of the H3D 30 and a larger sensor area.
The lens used on the IQ 180 was a tech cameras lens so it is better than the Hasselblad equivalent due to fewer design constraints.

At 30×20 inches, you can see subtle but clear differences between the IQ180 and the D800E.
Not all of them weighted in favour of the medium format camera, though.
For instance, the D800E produced much more pleasing shadow areas on the prints of the photographs produced to test dynamic range.

Resolution and detail of the IQ180 prints was better than that of the D800E prints – but not massively.
Again, the difference was there, but it wasn’t huge. Certainly not €30,000 huge.

And we were stunned just how close the D800E ran the IQ180 when the files were printed at 60×40 inches, which is bigger than many dining room tables.

Put simply, Nikon has produced a phenomenal camera.

Medium format camera manufacturers have cause for concern.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »

Hi,

I tried to do some kind of drill down regarding MF compared to full frame DSLRs. The article has been checked by several person who has been there and done that (two of them owning both Nikon D800E and Phase One IQ 180) and also by Tim Parkin. It is not based on own experience but on samples, measurements and sample data. All images were used by the permission of the authors.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/71-mf-digital-myths-or-facts

I don't think you find anything sensational.

Personally, I would probably go the Nikon way. You can buy a D800 and a few top of the line Zeiss lenses for the fraction of the cost of  an MFDB.

If you go for an MFDB, it may be worthwhile to visit one of the leading dealers like DT or CI, they can help you if things don't work out as expected.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »

If you do nature photography, the Nikon sure is a lot lighter to carry around.

jerome_m

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:24:30 pm »

You can buy a D800 and a few top of the line Zeiss lenses for the fraction of the cost of  an MFDB.

The O.P. asked about the H3D-31. I would think that the price will not be higher than a D800 with Zeiss glass.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:16 pm »

If you do nature photography, the Nikon sure is a lot lighter to carry around.

Depends

A digital back on a compact tech camera like the RC400/Factumwith three Schneider wides (e.g. 24XL/35XL/47XL) is around the same weight as a Nikon D800 with three Nikon or Zeiss wide-angle primes or PC lenses. It also packs in the same approximate area.

Naturally an SLR medium format system with three wide angle SLR lenses will be a good bit larger/heavier than both.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:42:54 pm by Doug Peterson »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 05:42:00 pm »

Hi,

Have you checked any price list?

It's about a camera, an MFDB and several lenses. I don't really think you can buy a decent MFDB below 5000$, than you need the body, say 3000$ and a few lenses at 3000$ each. Some of that stuff would be used.

Zeiss lenses are not that expensive, and some of the Nikon lenses are really excellent, too.

Best regards
Erik

The O.P. asked about the H3D-31. I would think that the price will not be higher than a D800 with Zeiss glass.
Erik Kaffehr

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »

Hey Doug--- in this link, http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

um, I thought the Schneider 35XL was one of those lenses that really isn't the best choice with the IQ180 (that was back in the times of C1 Pro6)??? ... and even with the greatly improved C1 Pro 7, the Schneider 35XL isn't a great lens with the IQ180...  I thought that was pretty much the consensus among technical camera users.

I would think the Rodenstocks would have been a much better choice, but I think that's also part of the difficulty in attempting any comparison as there is always some variable that skews the results in some manner despite good faith best efforts....

Of course, it's simply best to just buy both camera systems and enjoy the best of both worlds.   ;D

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »

Isn't the Schneider 35 that was used considered to be a very poor match to the IQ180 ?

The lens used on the IQ 180 was a tech cameras lens so it is better than the Hasselblad equivalent due to fewer design constraints.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 06:21:38 pm »

How much is the Factum?

lance_schad

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »

How much is the Factum?

The Arca-Swiss Factum is $4,390.

The Schneider 35XL is not the best choice for the IQ180. Many people use it, but it is not optimal for use with movements on the IQ180.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

FredBGG

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 06:41:10 pm »

Isn't the Schneider 35 that was used considered to be a very poor match to the IQ180 ?

The IQ180 has color cast issues with the XL35, in particular when shifting. Many say they have less color cast issues
with the IQ160 so it's more of a sensor problem.

FredBGG

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »

Hey Doug--- in this link, http://www.circleofconfusion.ie/d800e-vs-phase-one-iq180/

um, I thought the Schneider 35XL was one of those lenses that really isn't the best choice with the IQ180 (that was back in the times of C1 Pro6)??? ... and even with the greatly improved C1 Pro 7, the Schneider 35XL isn't a great lens with the IQ180...  I thought that was pretty much the consensus among technical camera users.

I would think the Rodenstocks would have been a much better choice, but I think that's also part of the difficulty in attempting any comparison as there is always some variable that skews the results in some manner despite good faith best efforts....

Of course, it's simply best to just buy both camera systems and enjoy the best of both worlds.   ;D

Here is a direct Nikon vs 40MP Hasselblad

Full frame

Crops

Photogy did this test and a forum member here did the processing for the side by side photo.

Photogy article here:

http://www.photigy.com/nikon-d800e-test-review-vs-hasselblad-h4d40-35mm-against-medium-format/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:18:43 am by FredBGG »

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:20 pm »

Fred, that's excellently scary
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up