Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Mother's Garden #1  (Read 1325 times)

Mjollnir

My Mother's Garden #1
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:39 pm »

My first outing with the Panasonic/Leica Summilux 25mm 1.4   This was just done as sort of a lens study out of a series of five really different shots from my mother's garden up near Carmel, CA.

I had the Panny 20mm/1.7 for about a year, playing around with it as a landscape lens, and found that while nicely sharp, it's AF was terrible, esp. in low(er) light, and the purple/blue fringing it exhibited drove me nuts.

THIS lens, however, surpasses all my expectations and is far, far better than the 20mm in terms of overall sharpness, micro-contrast, isolation and color reproduction.  There's just this odd 'depth' for lack of a better word. 

My Mother's Garden #1 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: My Mother's Garden #1
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:11:22 pm »

Brilliant colors!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Mjollnir

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:42 pm »

Brilliant colors!

Thanks!  That's what struck me, as well, as soon as I got into PP with this lens's exposures.  The 20mm, while sharp, was somehow more (for lack of a better word) clinical or sterile, and I often had to gently 'force' the colors to get the shot where I wanted it.

This lens and I are going to have a long, long relationship.

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:10:45 am »

Brilliant colors!

When I discovered this photo, I only saw colors first. They are rich and warm. The place feels cozy.
Francois

Mjollnir

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:17 pm »

When I discovered this photo, I only saw colors first. They are rich and warm. The place feels cozy.

Thanks!  That means a lot to me, as that's what I was going for, as soon as I understood what this lens can do.

francois

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 03:47:39 am »

Thanks!  That means a lot to me, as that's what I was going for, as soon as I understood what this lens can do.

It's not too often that we succeed to convey the spirit of a placeā€¦ but you did extremely well.
Francois

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:47:22 am »

There's so much going on here it's hard to stop looking at it. I think it has a story to it, and it also has an abstract quality because of the perfectly diffused b'g with all those odd shaped colorful items. One can get some insight into the owner of this garden through the photograph. The color is pleasing and there is no wasted space, and no unkind lighting anywhere. You worked yourself into just the right position for the camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up