Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering to Canon 5D iii on Mac  (Read 8118 times)

kodakdog

Tethering to Canon 5D iii on Mac
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:11:50 pm »

Hi all,
Am I correct in that I cannot (and could not) tether C1 to my 5D III without doing the workaround of switching out some of the C1 files for Canon Utility files?
Before the workaround, I could not tether to either C1 6.4.3 or C1 7.0.2 on either Mac OS 10.7.5 or 10.8.2.
After the workaround all is fine, just a little slow.
Has anyone done any speed tests, on a Mac, on which is the best combination, OS 10.7.5 vs 10.8.2 with which C1, again for the 5D mark iii?
Thanks!

kodakdog

Re: Tethering to Canon 5D iii on Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »

I ran a few tests on both C1 6.4.3 and C1 7.0.2 on both a Canon 5D mark2 and mark3.
The camera shot the same scene, all settings remained the same.
I shot raw images.
I started the timer when I started shooting and stopped it when the last image snapped into focus.
I quit and restarted the software between each test.
I did each test twice.
I ran the test on my MacBook Pro, OS 10.7.5, 2.66Ghz, Core 2 Duo, 4 GB ram.
I found that C1 7.0.2 was much slower and the processing times were a little inconsistent.

I first shot 15 exposures, one second between each capture:
Mark 2: C1 6 - 34sec/34s     C1 7 - 1:11/1:34
Mark 3: C1 6 - 37s/36s        C1 7 - 2:01/1:12

I next shot 30 exposures, two seconds between each capture:
Mark 2: C1 6 - 1:05/1:04     C1 7 - 2:26/3:12
Mark 3: C1 6 - 1:13/1:14     C1 7 - 1:57/3:01

I don't think I'll be updating my OS to 10.8.2 until next week when I return from location and have time to play with it.

Rodd

• Drummond House Professional Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:45:00 pm »

G'Day,

Just to add, I think I've read somewhere that the C1 7.0 and on are much faster than the previous versions it's just that the OS hasn't release the programs potential because of the 32 bit verses the 64 bit challenge. I'm sure some one will correct me on this but yes it's much slower at the moment until they catch up.

Horrible problems on the tethered shoot side BUT simply the best raw converter out there....

Cheers...... Rodd

kodakdog

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »

update to previous tests.........
I installed CO 7 onto my iMac i7 2.93 12GB ram
As long as you wait for the file to upload, it seemed fine.  As soon as I started shooting at one exposure per second, it would crash at either the 5th exposure or the 9th exposure.
I then installed CO 6 with the work-around, the capture was much faster but it repeatedly crashed at the 11th exposure.
I then installed the Canon EOS Utility and now it would crash at the 5th exposure.
Not sure what to do next, I suppose I'll install the Canon DPP with the Canon Utility and shoot to that......

kodakdog

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:59:25 pm »

update.....
I installed the Canon DPP software and ran the same test.

It took 28 seconds before the last frame snapped into focus.

I was able to use CO 7 for three tests before it crashed.

the 15 exposure test, one every second, took 48, then 62 seconds, then it crashed on the third attempt.
the 30 exposure test, one every two seconds, took 2:17s, then crashed on the second attempt.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:22:13 pm »

I've been tinkering as well. Right now I have another 3rd party app handling the tethering - http://www.ononesoftware.com/downloads/#other
 DSLR Camera Remote Server - It's supposed to be used and controlled with an IOS device (you pay for the IOS app, not the OSX tether server part) but it works just fine tethering into C1 7.0.2 (OSX 10.8.2) without the IOS app. The downsides are that you cannot control camera settings (shutter / ISO etc), set the filename or live view, but it seems rock solid if you just want tethering. I've been trying to break it but can't. Shooting with a nikon d800 I can do multiple shots before the buffer backs up but it does not crash, give it a few seconds to clear and start shooting again. I setup a new session and then tell the app to shoot into the capture folder of that session. I also turn off all camera tethering features in C1.

AlbinoUnicorn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »

Make sure Camera is the first thing in line of the USB Tree.

http://albinounicorn.wordpress.com/

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:45:04 pm »

For some reason I can't find any info on how to save to the card on the camera (5D3) at the same time as being tethered to the my Macbook Pro, which I can do when using the Canon Eos Utility. I'm doing a lot of shoots where I need to switch between tethered and un-tethered and at the moment I can't seem to find a way to have the original file name that's generated by the camera when tethered and importing to C1Pro.

I hope what I'm asking makes sense. I currently have a camera up a 3m stand ready to shoot a hotel foyer and would love to have an answer soon  ;)

Cheers, Derryck.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:20:34 pm »

You cannot do both with C1. You'll have to shoot via EOS Utility (or another 3rd party tether app) into the Capture folder of your C1 session. Remember to turn off the C1 camera support in C1 preferences and restart C1.

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 06:23:34 am »

Thanks Nik,

really appreciate the response. I was starting to think that's what I was going to have to do. Also good tip regarding turning off C1 camera support.

stevesanacore

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:14:27 am »

It is a major omission on the part of Capture One that you can't save the images to the internal card as well as the tethered computer. I worked that way with Canon capture and Lightroom for years. It gives me a great workflow and backup system to have the images in both places. Now that i'm shooting with Nikon and Capture one part of the time, I've lost that option. Capture One does a great job of raw conversion and processing options - but I find it much less intuitive and more complicated to use than Lightroom. I was shocked the first time I used a Phase back that it didn't offer that option. 
We don't know what we don't know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up