Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: EZ Glide Applicator Liquid Laminating System  (Read 11646 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
EZ Glide Applicator Liquid Laminating System
« on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:54 am »

Anyone using the EZ Glide Applicator Liquid Laminating System? It looks like a good alternative to rolling/spraying to me but I would worry about the inks out of my Canon 8100 smearing.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: EZ Glide Applicator Liquid Laminating System
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:55:08 pm »

Isn't it designed for solvent/eco solvent prints?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:57:19 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:39:57 pm »

It works well on canvas from aqueous ink printers. Call Ike Harris and/or send him a sample and I bet he'll run one of your prints for you. He is a great guy and very cooperative with questions about his products.
Randy Carone

na goodman

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:41:00 pm »

It's designed for inkjet prints. But, like Randy said call Ike Harris, extremely nice to work with. Over the years I have sent him samples of the product I was going to use his adhesives or laminate on and he would run a sample for me to make sure it would work.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:15:56 pm by na goodman »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »

Has anybody used an EZ Glide with prints from a Canon iPF8300/8400/9400?

Mike Sellers

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:57:43 pm »

I wonder what canvas and Canon 8000 series inks would be least likely to run/smear with this liquid laminator?

matthjones

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »

I use one with x100 series inks, Breathing color canvases and mainly UK sourced coatings. Works fine, and I much prefer stretching these compared to the HVLP sprayed ones I used to do. You get a surface finish closer to the rolled canvas than sprayed.

It does work best where you have several prints all with the same coating, and it it does require more setup room than spraying. You also need somewhere to hang the prints whilst drying, as the back is wet they stick to surfaces.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »

Hi,
What UK sourced coatings are you talking about? Not the ones recommended by the manufacturer?

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »

I just spoke with Breathing Color about using the EZ Glide with their Lyve and Timeless combo.  They don't recommend it because the roller on the EZ Glide doesn't put enough pressure onto the canvas and the coverage isn't even.

They recommended using the spray method with Wagner or similar.

I ordered the EZ Glide already, I guess I'll try it out, it'll go onto Ebay if it doesn't work out.

bill t.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:48:25 pm »

Glamour II has much better leveling and spreading characteristics than Timeless.  Would be my first try on the EZ Glide, perhaps diluted as much as 1:1 with water.

In any case, would appreciate hearing how your experiments work out.

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:21 pm »

Early results with the EZ Glide are promising.  I tried Lyve Canvas and Elegance Velvet with undiluted satin Timeless coating.
I managed to spill a quart of coating while filling and draining the thing, there's not much room to tilt before it overflows.

Running the Lyve through, there's noticeable streaking, due to the coating rod being slightly textured.  Both sides of the canvas get coated but the rubber strip does a very good job removing the excess from the back.

I had better luck with the Elegance Velvet, a rag type paper, which was surprising.  No streaks, just a nice thick even layer of coating.  Maybe the paper is absorbing the coating better.

I will run some more test prints when I have time next week, maybe adding some water to the Timeless to thin it slightly.

ternst

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:10 am »

Are those bits of lint/dirt on the roller that are transferred to the print in your photos? It would be great if this system would work with diluted Glamour II, although I normally spray mine warmed up a bit, and I wonder how that could be done with such a large tank, or if that were really needed?

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 10:01:33 am »

The lint/dried coating bits were left over after I did a quick cleaning.  There were no bits transferred to the prints.
The second Lyve print that I ran through came out very well, no streaks.  I think I need to work on technique, pulling it through slowly and parallel to my table.

I normally use the Wagner sprayer, but this method seems less messy/wasteful (once I stop spilling all over the floor).

The EZ Glide requires at least 3/4 of a gallon of coating bring it up to the fill line, but you drain it back into the bucket when done.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 08:08:20 am »

Now what are your impressions of this machine? Can you recommend it? What coating are you using?

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:09:03 am »

I had a chance to coat some more prints over the weekend.  After diluting the BC Timeless by about 5% and pulling the canvas through really slowly, I'm pretty happy with the result.
No streaks.  I did get some minor bubbles on some of the prints, because I shook the pail of Timeless to mix it.  The bubbles stick to the coating rod then onto the print.  This is operator error.  If I stir the varnish next time, it should leave no bubbles.

Draining and cleanup is a bit of a drag.  It takes about 30 minutes of passive draining.  I lift up one end to let the varnish pool into the drain tube, lifting it higher as the level gets low.
Then I take it to the backyard to hose it off.  Some of the varnish dries on the non-operating portions of the unit, I'll need to disassemble (very easy) and scour it off eventually.

The EZ Glide is great of doing large amounts of prints, I only did 3-5 at a time, so it would have been faster just to spray it.  When I print higher volume, the EZ Glide will definitely be a time saver.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 12:53:08 pm »

If you are just doing a few prints, learn to spray, roll, etc., since the EZ Glide takes time to set-up, learn to use properly and then clean up.

I used it for a 600+ large-format canvas project and would coat 30-50 images at a time. I used the Fredrix 777 printed on the Epson 9900 and used ClearShield, Type C aqueous coating with 20% added distilled water to thin it a bit for better coating. Did it in the garage above my studio in both winter and summer.

You need a table to put it on and probably a second table or two to put the coated canvas to prep it for hanging.

Watching the film from Daige helps in how this thing works. For me, it was much better and efficient than trying to spray that many large canvases, up to 40x60. A few did need a second coat and once cry, it was just a matter of running them though the EZ Glide a second time.

I forgot to add, to keep the hanging images from curling, I used wooden dowels at the top and bottom and cloths pins. Cheap and easy works.

A photo of the set-up is attached (I hope!)

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

bill t.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 01:24:32 pm »

Thanks for that, Larry.  The EZ Glide looks like a good option for those of us without a decent spray booth who need to coat a lot of canvas during cold weather.  The trades-off is overspray for cleanup time.  May give that a try come next October.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 01:26:08 pm by bill t. »

MarcTetreault

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:16 am »

Did anybody try the EZ Glide Applicator with Canon iPF8400 Lucia EX?

On my "waterproof" films, I know I need to avoid too much time in water based varnish or scrub the printing, or it will displace the aqueous ink billow. Correcttion: EZ Glide Applicator DOES NOT laminates on both sides in one pass. The squeegee cleans the back side, so the pressure sensititive adhesive still works as stated by their video.

Thanks,
Marc
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:40:03 pm by MarcTetreault »

abeofRD

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 01:38:10 pm »

While on this subject, did anyone seen or tried the new Elite Coater from Drytac http://www.drytac.com/elitecoater.html looks very similar to the one discussed but motorized.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 12:02:43 pm »

Has anyone called for a price?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up