Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto Pro heads vs Pro 7b heads  (Read 7990 times)

The View

Profoto Pro heads vs Pro 7b heads
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:57:44 am »

I'm currently putting a set of Profoto equipment together, 1 or 2 Pro 7b and 2 or 3 heads.

So far I was focused on the 7b heads. But they are only compatible with the Pro b-2 and the Pro 7b - all of which are as of now discontinued packs.

What do you think? Should I go for Pro heads right away?

I have shot with Pro heads and love the light they give. I never shot with Pro-b heads.

Are they at all comparable in light quality?

I mean a Pro head is rated at a maximum of 2400 watt seconds and probably has a different kind of flash tube in it. It would also fire at a fraction of its maximum power versus the 7b that would get closer to its maximum of 1200 ws. Not sure if this matters and if the light is of a different quality when a flash tube fires at 20% of its max output or at 80%.

I know about the the Pro heads having a more powerful modeling light, a fan that kicks in at a certain temperature, and that they are compatible with all packs (not just the b packs).

Any comment about the differences of these two heads welcome.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

K.C.

Re: Profoto Pro heads vs Pro 7b heads
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 04:25:37 am »

Are they at all comparable in light quality?

Yes.

The View

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:10:30 pm »

Actually, it's even the same flash tube.

The only difference is that the 7B flash is not compatible with non-battery powered packs, has a 1200 ws max output, and no fan.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

figure1a

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:56:36 am »

Pro Heads and 7B Heads use the same flash tube so no difference there.

Putting a Pro Head on a 7B pack will get you exact same results as using a 7B head. The only difference is you can't use a 7B head on a 6, 7A, or 8A pack, no fan, and a 7B head is slightly smaller/lighter than a Pro Head.

If you haven't bought a 7B yet, here's some good ones:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/nine-volt/m.html?item=390525285294&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aed1ef3ae&_sop=16
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:03:48 am by figure1a »

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:49 pm »

Putting a Pro Head on a 7B pack will get you exact same results as using a 7B head.

But the fan in the regular Pro head will kill the battery quickly and then you'll realize why they make the 7B head.

Used packs are plentiful as few need that kind of power and the newer versions of the pack are much improved for those who do.

The View

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:01 pm »

I went with the Pro-b head, actually three of them. I decided against buying the used and went for new ones.

I'm actually quite glad there's no fan, and I don't miss the strong modeling light.

They key for me was the great light quality I had experienced with the pro heads, and it's literally the same head minus fan and stronger modeling lamp. And it's a pound lighter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up