Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Straps  (Read 24075 times)

dwswager

Re: Camera Straps
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 10:26:06 am »

Last year i used OP|Tech strap with L-plated Sony a900 and some MF gear.
Very comfortable (they claim weight reduction by factor of two - too optimistic of course) and with 5-buck parts easily converted regular strap to a sliding similar to Black Rapid - and without touching tripod screw. And you can wear camera under backpack straps and quickly buckle on and off your camera.

I'm not sure why people are all worried about the tripod hole, unless you have a consumer grade camera and are swinging a 70-200 f/2.8.  But of course, it should be in the tripod mount of the lens, not the camera.  Most stories of tripod socket damage come from user incompetence or at lease carelessness.  You can over-tighten the screw and since there isn't much area on it it is possible to pull the tripod socket out because of the compressible grommet.

As I have a L-plate on my camera at all times, I either screw into the l-plate or put a small Arca Clamp on it and clamp to the L-plate.  Of course, the L-Plate is screwed into the camera tripod socket.  But the heaviest thing it is supporting is the 24-70mm f/2.8.  Anything bigger (heavier) has a tripod mount.

I cringe when I'm somewhere and someone is cantilevering a 80-400mm or 70-200mm f/2.8 off the camera body mounted on a $40 tripod.  In a fair world, they would forfeit their equipment to someone that would treat it properly.  There is a tripod mount on there for a reason.

AFairley

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 11:09:13 am »

Hey Dwswager,

I've been looking for a good quick release strap for ages.  Could you upload a couple of pictures of how you've 'FIXED' the domke?

Many thanks.
Andrew

Best quick release strap for me is a strap with stainless steel McGizmo 20mm Nano Clips on the end.  No dangles and no plastic.  

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:16:31 am by AFairley »

dwswager

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »

Best quick release strap for me is a strap with stainless steel McGizmo 20mm Nano Clips on the end.  No dangles and no plastic.  

Where do you buy them?  Amazon has them listed here McGizmo Nano 20mm Clip, but they are 'currently unavailable'.

dwswager

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 07:32:55 pm »

Oh, apparently Nikon approves tripod mounting screw attachment for straps in general and Black Rapid specifically!

Nikon Black Rapid branded strap  (Looks like the sport) - $89.95

AFairley

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 10:50:33 am »

Where do you buy them?  Amazon has them listed here McGizmo Nano 20mm Clip, but they are 'currently unavailable'.

Lighthound.com

dwswager

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up