Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files exported from Aperture, sent via Dropbox, files reduced in size  (Read 7715 times)

Roscolo

First, I do not use Aperture, nor have I ever used Aperture. But I have a customer I print for who sent me some files via Dropbox. He uses Aperture 3. I use Dropbox all the time and have never had a problem with folks sending original files at the original size, not compressed.

So, this customer sent me 6 files or so, and I received them zipped together in Dropbox. I have no idea what he did or what settings he used, just that the original file sizes were like 80-135 mb each, but the files I received after they were unzipped were more like 8-20mb each.

I'm trying to help the guy, but it's a program I am 100% not familiar with. Maybe some export setting in Aperture? Maybe some upload setting in Dropbox?

My advice to him was to work on his files individually in his software, safe each one as a TIFF, then upload each file individually to Dropbox (not a folder full of images). Or better yet, just bring me a disk or flash drive.

Still, if there something obvious to look for, I would like to point him in the right direction without spending too much time learning about a program I'll never use.

Thanks

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
Re: Files exported from Aperture, sent via Dropbox, files reduced in size
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:24:53 pm »

If he's using File -> Export to get the files out of Aperture, then he needs to go into Preferences and set the format he wants them exported as. The zipping isn't done by Aperture, though, so you'd have to ask how he accomplished that.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Files exported from Aperture, sent via Dropbox, files reduced in size
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:07:33 pm »

Tell him/her to export using the File Export Preset "Original Size" and the file format you want, and to confirm that the Preset selected is, in fact, still set to "Original Size" (the name of the Preset is for humans to group a set of parameters; Aperture reads the parameters, not the name).  He/She can export straight to his/her Dropbox folder.  Since you are experiencing some difficulty, I would simply bypass zipping the files until you are receiving the files you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up