Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9890 doesnt print when photoshop determines color  (Read 1519 times)

ncphotograd

Epson 9890 doesnt print when photoshop determines color
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:10:24 pm »

Im printing on a Macbook Pro with 10.8.2 with photoshop CS5.  I convert my images to the correct paper profile before i print. I make a custom page size to fit the image and it looks correct in print preview.  I am printing through a USB connection.  I contacted epson for support and they treated me like a tool with idiotic responses so Im hoping someone here could help! The printer only prints the image when in the print dialog box it says under Color handling --> Printer manages colors:

Some images print correctly or at around 95% color accuracy.  Others print with an amber tone.

Under this drop down:
Photoshop manages colors:

The printer head jostles a bit and then it feeds the paper through at the length at which it would have printed and then says its done.  I tried printing a short print and a 60" print and it advanced the paper to the appropriate length.  The printer wouldnt allow me to 'rewind' the roll as it thought the print job was done so i had to hit the reload button and manually rewind it every time.

Two weeks ago in upgraded to 10.8 and prior to that it was printing just fine(in photoshop manages color).  I immediately deleted all drivers and reinstalled the new ones for my updated operating system.  Initially i tried to update the firmware on the printer as well.  I waited for 30 min and having never done this before i left and came back a few hours later.  It said it was still working on it so I shut down the printer and cancelled it.  Ive printed at 8 bit and 16 bit, Custom paper size and preloaded paper size, checked for a photoshop update(none), updated epson(2 days ago after using 10.8), tried to install firmware but failed and still it wont communicate properly when trying to allow photoshop to manage colors. If there are any other images you would like to see of the menus that may help, let me know. If you can think of another third party software to print with that will help me get this done asap feel free to post it.

Image 1: Printer with settings for Printer Manages Color
Image 2: Photoshop manages color
Image 3: Photoshop manages color but after the initial print menu.

Thanks for your help!

-nathan

ncphotograd

Re: Epson 9890 doesnt print when photoshop determines color
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »

I read through another thread that had a somewhat related issue but did not fix my problem.  I right clicked in the add or remove printer box in System preferences and wiped out all my printers.  I then deleted every epson printer folder i could find.  I downloaded the drivers again to print and the same issue has continued.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:42 am »

Try trashing your Photoshop prefs...the image you are printing is pretty big and 5.0.x had issues printing large images on Mac (not Windows). Once you PS prefs are hosed you can no longer print. As far as I know, this was fixed in PS CS5.5 & CS6.x.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 02:42:55 pm »

I convert my images to the correct paper profile before i print.

You "convert" your images?  This is done automatically by the printer driver.  Your dialog boxes indicate your files are in a printer space, they should be in a working space.  If you "convert" to a printer space, then let photoshop manage colors and apply the printer profile, you have then double profiled.  You don't need to do anything at all to the image or space before printing.  If you are trying to evaluate what it will look like, converting it won't help, you need to use soft proofing tools to do that.

Issues like this can be related to getting the dimensions backward in the custom paper setup dialog.  I didn't see a screen shot of that.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:59:08 pm by Wayne Fox »

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:49:03 pm »

A few things, but I don’t know how related they are to your problem:

I don’t know why you have Roll Paper (Banner) selected, just plain Roll Paper is the normal setting. The Banner setting is for when you have several images lined up for printing and want to save paper by having no gap between them. (Perhaps the printer is awaiting another print and this is part of your ‘rewind’ problem.)

As Jeff pointed out, that is a pretty large image file size, do you have enough memory to support it (have you printed that size before).

And while it isn’t related, if you are going to uprez, then you may as well go to 360 ppi. There is nothing magical about 300 ppi.

And I agree with Wayne, you shouldn’t be converting to profile. You are already having Photoshop apply the profile in the print dialog.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up