Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing, ICC profile Mac os x 10.8 photoshop CS6 problem.  (Read 36746 times)

julienlanoo

Installing, ICC profile Mac os x 10.8 photoshop CS6 problem.
« on: December 25, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »

Hi guys, i've made a QTR profile for BW printing ( just to test),
Now when i install it like before in the /Library/colorsync/profiles folder, Photoshop can't find it,
Any tips ?..

greets
ju

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Re: Installing, ICC profile Mac os x 10.8 photoshop CS6 problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »

I don't know why that location is not working for you, but I put my profiles in:

/Users/youruserid/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

and that works for me.

julienlanoo

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 05:36:28 pm »

On mac os x 10.8? mountain Lion ? ..

I've put them there to ..
I've actually tried every Profiles folder i could find, ..
But no way, that any app can find them..
mhm i would like to test the QTR printing solution, but i can't get the profiles to work :(

julienlanoo

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 04:28:43 am »

it's on Mountain Lion os X 10.8 and QTR 2.7 ( the latest),
Printing to a 3800,
Custom profile made with a Colormunki..

greets
ju

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:29:38 am »

I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.2, but that folder has worked for me for years.

I'm assuming it's a *.icc file you're trying to install? If you just double-click the file in Finder does ColorSync Utility run and open a window like this?

Sorry, don't know what else to check.

julienlanoo

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:41:22 am »

Yes.. it does
( profile is attached),

strange, because when i make a color profile with the Colormunki software the profile is in the same folder, and does appear in PS CS6 ..

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:09:23 am »

Hi Julie, I am running Snow Leopard but it shouldn't matter, here is what I did. I downloaded your profile from the image you provided. I installed it in my user folder/library/colorsync/profiles and then opened PS. At first it did not show up, just like you had expressed. I then opened the file in colorsync and
went under the "desc" which is the name and took out the underscore, and now it is visible in PS. I can see it soft proofing and can pick it from the
print window. In Mountain Lion the user library is hidden so if you are putting your profiles there you have to unhide it first. Otherwise, it should also
work if you put it in the colorsync folder. I've attached the changed name file. Hope it helps.

julienlanoo

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 09:23:16 am »

AHA!, Problem almost solved :) :p

- System user folder is already unhidden, as i clean up a lot in there to make things smoother..

- Now it's showing in Photoshop CS5.5 that's a good thing!!, so problem is partially solved :)

- PS CS6 doesn't show it yet, i'll try to soft proof it, or to apply the profile in photoshop it self and then print with "document - profile"..

lets experiment :)

na goodman

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 09:26:46 am »

Hmmmmm, I have CS5 on my laptop which is what I am on right now. I'll go try it on my desktop which is running CS6.

julienlanoo

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 09:29:58 am »

Thanks! a lot, you've solved already, a big problem :) hehe

I wonder if i should start using the QTR print tool, as i don't realy see the use of it, as PS has a relatively good print tool ..

mhm

na goodman

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:35:22 am »

Glad it worked. I can also see it in CS6 on my desktop. I think the Print Tool thing you'll have to decide for yourself. Between PS, and Lightroom
there are options.

markwilliam

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:15:09 pm »

Greetings. I have a similar problem, so I add it to this thread before starting a new one.

I just paid to have a profile made by a professional profile-making company for a printer/paper combination. Once I saved it to Boot/Library/Colorsync/Profiles , it became visible in a Finder window of the Profiles folder. (Mac OS X 10.7.5) But it is not visible from inside Photoshop CS5 when I try to use the profile. It's also not visible to the ColorSync Utility. The person who made it is baffled. We have double-checked many possible sources of the problem, making sure we do not misunderstand one another. I have tried renaming it to end with .icc . I have tried many things, but nothing works so far. I am no expert when it comes to .icc profiles, but I have installed many of them and used many of them in Photoshop (this week, even) with no trouble at all before now. So I'm not a total newbie. But I'm baffled, too. So I come to you in the hope that you can help.

I attach the file, just in case you are able to diagnose the problem by downloading it and having a look.

Many thanks,

Mark

elolaugesen

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:57 pm »

check the last three letters of the profile.    it says icm       not icc

cheers elo

correction..   even the change to icc does not make it show in my CS6
only time I have ever seen this
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:29:15 pm by elolaugesen »

markwilliam

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 03:57:32 pm »

Hi elo. Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I noticed that it ends with .icm. I also tried changing it to .icc. And I called this to the attention of the company worker who made the profile for me, and he replied with this:

".icc and .icm work the same regardless of the operating system. I have never heard of this happening. I've made profiles here on my work PC for my MAC at home and they always work fine. I installed the profile on my work PC and it shows up in the list of possible profiles. At this point I have no more ideas, I will credit you back the $"

Also, I pointed this out:

"By the way, when I double-click the file you sent in a Finder window, I get this error message from ColorSync:
(see screen shot, below)
Which would seem to indicate that it is not a valid profile. No?
I wonder: do you think the hyphens in the name could be a problem?"

to which he replied:

"actually all your profiles should say the same thing. They are usually files you can't open."

to which I replied:

"Actually all my profiles except the one you made open up in the ColorSync Utility with windows like those shown in the screenshot I attach below. Seriously: I have just now opened up two dozen others, by various makers, just now. They all open in ColorSync, all except yours. And they are all around 1.5 MB in size. From Moab, from Epson, from Adorama, etc. I really think there is something wrong with the profile you made for me."

(The profile this company made for me is only 532 bytes in file size. Doesn't that seem too small?)

Cheers,

Mark

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:27 pm »

That profile (UltPremLust-1440-2200-IJAcustom) is hosed somehow. ColorThink Pro can't open it. Nor can the ColorSync utility. Corrupted or something, it's totally NG on this end (OS X 10.8.3).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »

The profile is hosed...the downloaded size is 1.0KB, most table based profiles would be in the 500-800KB range while a custom profile written out with more accurate, larger tables would be 1.5-3MB size. Even a matrix profile like sRGB would be 4KB. At 1.0KB, it's clearly missing something.

As far as .icc vs. .icm, it doesn't matter...either extension will work cross platform assuming the profile is valid. The one you got is clearly not valid if ColorSync Utility can even see it let alone repair it.

markwilliam

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »

Holy Crap. Now I'm getting personalized help from Andrew Rodney and Jeff Schewe? I am sincerely and humbly thankful for your help, guys. I have learned so much elsewhere from your words and ideas--in books, in software, in manuals, in magazines, online all over, in forums, and so on. And of course I benefit from the work you've done (I'm a happy PixelGenius customer, and, of course, a happy Photoshop customer).

Anyway, I don't mean to put down the company worker who made the profile for me: he has been a real gentleman, generous with his time and help in following up on this problem. And he seems to have solved it now. (I attach his latest effort, a new version of the same profile from the same targets). This version shows up in Photoshop, and I'm trying some prints with it now.

Many thanks to this forum and its excellent senior members,

Mark

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 05:49:03 pm »

That profile is "good" (I can open it). Usually a good idea to zip this kind of document when sending. Built using the old MonacoPROFILER software.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

markwilliam

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 11:26:57 pm »

Thank you, A.R. I appreciate it. --Mark

traugott

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:45 pm »

Hi guys, i've made a QTR profile for BW printing ( just to test),
Now when i install it like before in the /Library/colorsync/profiles folder, Photoshop can't find it,
Any tips ?..

greets
ju

I had a similar problem with ICC profiles from Dry Creek Photo. In the end, I found this solution: Open the profile in the ColorSync utility. Click on line 1, 'descr'. This will reveal the internal or ASCII file name. If this is discrepant in any way from the file name, change the ASCII name so it is identical to the file name. Save and close the profile. Reboot your computer and see if Photoshop can now see the profile. It worked for me. I hope it works for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up