Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO posted a score of 89 for the Sony a99.  (Read 2049 times)

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
DXO posted a score of 89 for the Sony a99.
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:23:50 pm »

What that actually means is that the a99 is the fifth best overall camera ever tested by DXO. Most of the "points counted off" were for the "sports" calculation which measure high ISO capability. It still handily beats anything from Canon and has one of the three highest dynamic ranges of any camera at the business end of the ISO scale.  More to a camera than its DXO sensor score but nice to know that Sony did very well. I already knew the camera was good, I shot with it all last week...

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Re: DXO posted a score of 89 for the Sony a99.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:14 pm »

It's a great camera also.
I've been shooting with it since October and the idea was to give it back after the press release in Dubai but I kept it and still have it, main reasons were the image quality and believe it or not the EVF, first few days I did not like it but slowly it grew on me and now I love it.

On my site www.frankdoorhof.com you can read several reviews parts on the camera, which you actually see change in certain areas as time progressed.

BrianSmith

• Celebrity Portrait Photographer Brian Smith
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »

Not surprised at all, but it's a nice validation of what I've seen with my eyes...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:05:14 pm »

Hi,

The SLT design drops about 0.5 EV in high ISO capability because some of the light is linked off for focusing.

I essentially see very little difference in image quality between my Alpha 900 and my Alpha 99SLT at low ISO. The Alpha 99 is much better at high ISO.

The Alpha 99 probably has an advantage in low ISO DR, but I have not been able to confirm it in any of my pictures, yet.

Best regards
Erik

What that actually means is that the a99 is the fifth best overall camera ever tested by DXO. Most of the "points counted off" were for the "sports" calculation which measure high ISO capability. It still handily beats anything from Canon and has one of the three highest dynamic ranges of any camera at the business end of the ISO scale.  More to a camera than its DXO sensor score but nice to know that Sony did very well. I already knew the camera was good, I shot with it all last week...
Erik Kaffehr

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »

Not surprising since sony is definitely the leader in sensor design.  Aren't all of those top 5 sensors except one from Sony?
Pages: [1]   Go Up