Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: used i1photo pro vs munki  (Read 1710 times)

smjphoto

used i1photo pro vs munki
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:28:15 pm »

Im considering purchasing a 4 year old i1photo pro kit or a color munki. Ive used canned profiles for printing in the past w epson papers. I have an old DTP94B w color eyes to use for monitor proofing (eizo ce240w). Ive moved to canon 8300 and am trying new papers. I was planning on buying custom profiles, but am starting to believe it makes sense to have more flexibility in house w my own setup to profile the papers. At this point I don't think I can justify spending over $1000 for this.

I'm asking for help because I find it hard (confusing) to figure out all the relevant product names and software without having used any of them. I don't want to buy used and then have to buy new licenses, software updates, etc. I want to use it on a mac os 10.7 and would expect to update in the future. It says it comes w Eye-One Match 3 software and Profile Editor (software upgrade). I'm unfamiliar w these.

So my questions are :
1) is an older i1 photo pro a better solution than a munki for <$600?
2) what software do I need to do printer profiling?
3) are there licensing  issues I need to be aware of?
4) are there os 10.7 and 10.8 issues?
5)does the photo pro usually come w the color checker?
6)any other considerations I'm missing?

thanks to all. this board is an amazing resource!
Stuart

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: used i1photo pro vs munki
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »

So my questions are :
1) is an older i1 photo pro a better solution than a munki for <$600?
2) what software do I need to do printer profiling?
3) are there licensing  issues I need to be aware of?
4) are there os 10.7 and 10.8 issues?
5)does the photo pro usually come w the color checker?
6)any other considerations I'm missing?

1. The older i1Photo may be a bit easier to use in scan mode, you 'll have more options in terms of the targets used depending on the software. What is nice is many products, including the new i1P from X-rite of course, support this device. ColorMunki is kind of locked to that software. So you will have more options with the i1Pro.

2. What comes with it? The kit comes hardware+some software, at the very least RGB.

3. Based on question 2 & 3 I'd ask where's this coming from and are you getting the license to the software or is someone just trying to sell you the hardware alone?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

smjphoto

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 05:27:46 pm »

thanks for the quick response.
It comes w/ Eye-One Match 3 software and Profile Editor (software upgrade). I'm unfamiliar w these.
I don't see any reference to "i1 Profiler". My assumption is eye one match 3 is an older program that predates profiler, but I'm only guessing.

Further research seems that the match 3 software requires rosetta to work w 10.6. I think it was then replaced w i1 profiler which looks to me like a $600 upgrade. If so, the costs really reduce the attractiveness of this option. can anyone confirm this is the correct?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:34:32 pm »

thanks for the quick response.
It comes w/ Eye-One Match 3 software and Profile Editor (software upgrade). I'm unfamiliar w these.
I don't see any reference to "i1 Profiler". My assumption is eye one match 3 is an older program that predates profiler, but I'm only guessing.

Further research seems that the match 3 software requires rosetta to work w 10.6. I think it was then replaced w i1 profiler which looks to me like a $600 upgrade. If so, the costs really reduce the attractiveness of this option. can anyone confirm this is the correct?

i1Profiler replaces Eye-One Match 3 software and a lot more. I'd first check system usage of this product on whatever OS you're using as it is a tad old. You might also see about an upgrade to i1Profiler software only which I would assume is possible with the sale but I'd check with X-Rite. Now you have the latest and greatest software from X-rite that supports that instrument. IF you can run Match, it will do the job pretty well but it isn't using the new color engine in i1P which is an improvement. You could play with Eye-One Match 3 awhile and maybe then upgrade?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up