Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Behind the scenes photographer, copying your shots  (Read 5381 times)

Graham Mitchell

Behind the scenes photographer, copying your shots
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:19:37 pm »

Has anyone had this happen to them? I did a shoot for a magazine recently and they had a behind-the-scenes photographer on the location, which was ok by me. I saw the photos later there and there wasn't a single BTS shot there at all. The photographer had been behind my back shooting the girls over my shoulder, and of course how now filled her folio with the same images. Has anyone had this happen to them? I was furious. (This was a natural light shoot so they didn't need to trigger any flash).

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Behind the scenes photographer, copying your shots
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:00:27 am »

Has never happened to me, but I shoot landscapes.   At the last wedding I attended there were never less than two or three bozos hovering behind the official photographer with their super-zoom cameras at the ready, especially during the obligatory ensemble shots.  I felt genuinely sorry for the guy.

Gel

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 03:29:35 am »

Copying your shots is not behind the scenes.

Taking shots of the MUA's with the models, side shots of them with you in the frame are behind the scenes.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 10:03:07 am »

Wonder if the mag was paying her? and if so, how they feel about her BTS shots.
I would seriously have a talk with the photographer to let her know how unprofessional and unethical it is to use those images in her portfolio.

You are right to be furious.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »

Damned right to be furious; it's straight theft of your creativity and the models', but if the models had asked the other photographer to shoot as you worked, then maybe a word with them is in order too...

If you know the magazine well, perhaps you can ask them the score? If not, better forget it and if you get more work from them, put your foot down at the next shoot if it looks like it's a trick about to be repeated. Don't shoot your own foot first, however right you are.

Rob C

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »

"Has anyone had this happen to them? I did a shoot for a magazine recently and they had a behind-the-scenes photographer on the location..."
First off: who is "they"?

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 10:42:09 am »

Has anyone had this happen to them? I did a shoot for a magazine recently and they had a behind-the-scenes photographer on the location, which was ok by me. I saw the photos later there and there wasn't a single BTS shot there at all. The photographer had been behind my back shooting the girls over my shoulder, and of course how now filled her folio with the same images. Has anyone had this happen to them? I was furious. (This was a natural light shoot so they didn't need to trigger any flash).

Yes.

I did a shoot for a magazine where they were featuring a designer. The designer hired a person to shoot images while I did the shoot for the magazine.

Didn't really bother me, the person shooting didn't seem too familiar with her gear and was obviously just there to cover the shoot for the subjects interest. In my case no harm done. Cameras are everywhere these days, every time I shoot in the public domain someone with a camera happens along.

In your case, it sounds bad but it also sounds like there is more to the story?

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:09 pm »

I watched a video once of a couple photographing a wedding.  If the photographer wasn't "in the photo" while posing/prepping, the assistant was.  When it was time to take the shot the assistant jumped out of the way, the photographer rattled off a few shots and one or the other of them jumped backed in to prep for the next pose. It was almost impossible for anyone else to get 'the shot' without one of them in it. It was beautiful to watch! lol

If I'm photographing anything where there are other shooters, before I take my shot, I turn around and ask them, politely, to please put their cameras down and wait until I have my shots for the client and then I'll let them shoot.  Of course, after I'm done shooting I'm moving on to the next shot anyway. 
Mike Guilbault

Dansk

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:52:44 am »

Ha I commented on this here about five or six years ago I cant recall now. On my sets its me or the other option/s, not both.

Hire the right guy for the job or gtfo

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »

It's very important to take control of the scene.  Did you hire the model?  Did you pay the location fee?  Who was the other photographer?  Did you ask?  Was it the magazine publishers daughter?  Did you ask her/him to stop?  

Lately a lot people on my sets have been using iPhones to take shots.  I allow them to do it, but I ask them to not post to social media sites.  And I tell them if the images show up on social media sites, the magazine will not use the images...

Beautiful work!!!

Thank you,
jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:52 pm »

Did this photographer have a model release? Seems to me the easiest way to force them to take down such images advertising their business.

Roberto Frieri

• www.robertofrieri.net
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:21 pm »

Did this photographer have a model release? Seems to me the easiest way to force them to take down such images advertising their business.
I agree with Ben.

Gareth ONeill

• Gareth O'Neill Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 04:52:30 pm »

I have been in studios where taking any pics without the clients consent was a big no-no, even with the paid photog's gear.

I'm pretty sure that either this extra photographer breached you contract, the magazine's, or both of your contracts are not explicit enough about situations like this.

Very unprofessional on the "bonus" photographers part.
Pages: [1]   Go Up