Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it Possible to Move Publishing Services?  (Read 2857 times)

Alistair

Is it Possible to Move Publishing Services?
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:50:28 pm »

Hi, I have moved my catalogue and files to a new computer, However the Publishing Services and their related Smart Collections and the FTP service settings have not come across. Are they not part of the Catalogue? Is there any way to copy or move them across?
Thanks and Regards
Alistair
Alistair

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Is it Possible to Move Publishing Services?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:12:27 pm »

Have you really moved the catalogue? The lrcat file? Usually a lot of the publish service info like smart collections is indeed stored inside the catalogue file, but stuff like FTP presets will be stored in the application data folder (on your old computer, go into Preferences, Presets, Show LR Presets folder). You can move these presets across to the corresponding place on the new computer.

Alistair

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:17:10 pm »

Have you really moved the catalogue? The lrcat file? Usually a lot of the publish service info like smart collections is indeed stored inside the catalogue file, but stuff like FTP presets will be stored in the application data folder (on your old computer, go into Preferences, Presets, Show LR Presets folder). You can move these presets across to the corresponding place on the new computer.

John, I think I did move it - or at least the equivalent. I copied it and then imported from it to the new machine. I will look for the presets. Thanks and regards, Alistair
Alistair

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:26:07 pm »

Look for the catalogue file, Alistair. It is usually called "Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat" and you can simply move the file and the similarly-named previews folder "Lightroom 4 Catalog Previews.lrdata" that's in the same folder. Move these across and open this catalogue on the new machine.

You should never have to re-import any of your pictures to this catalogue, but you may find you've moved your picture folders into a different location to the old machine - eg they were in My Pictures and now their folder is on a separate drive. This would result in folders having question marks in LR, indicating LR can't find them and telling you to right click and choose "Update Folder Location".

Take your time + make sure you're properly backed up

John

Alistair

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:51:43 pm »

Ok, I understand John but I have moved to a different machine altogether so I cannot just move the file. That is why I went down the route I did. Everything is backed up so I can easily revert if there is a better way of doing it. However everything has come across alright except for the publishing services. I need these too as my website is in Lightroom.
Alistair

Alistair

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:48:29 pm »

That has been very helpful thanks John. I have found all those in the presets folders and they are now reinstated in the new machine. I just need now to find the published services. I am wondering now whether they are amongst the flotsam and jetsam that I did not bother re-importing. I will check. THanks again for your help.
Alistair
Alistair

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »

Focus on finding the old computer's Lightroom catalogue file. Apart from this migration, going forward it's critical that you understand what it is, and have it backed up - it contains all your LR work.

I wonder, have you copied over the publish service plugins? Which ones are they?

John

Alistair

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 05:31:58 pm »

Focus on finding the old computer's Lightroom catalogue file. Apart from this migration, going forward it's critical that you understand what it is, and have it backed up - it contains all your LR work.

I wonder, have you copied over the publish service plugins? Which ones are they?

John

Good point John. That is probably where they are hiding. I picked up the Web Galleries and Web Templates from the Presets folder but not the published services. But as you say, they are probably in the plugin manager. The plugin is WSPP from Photographers Toolbox. http://photographers-toolbox.com/products/impact_wspp.php
Thanks again for your help.
Alistair
Alistair

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:36:06 pm »

It's possible to run plugins from any folder. So where did you put it? In the presets folders? In a subfolder called "modules"? The easiest way is to go to the old machine, then into Plugin Manager, and you should see the folder path. There's even a show in explorer/finder button.

jrsforums

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 05:39:19 pm »

While most tutorials focus (rightfully) on the catalog file, there are others that are also important to move or recreate your Lightroom environment.

These are in the (Win7) folder:  C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe. The key folders are: CameraRaw, LensCorrection, and Lightroom.

The is a great plugin at the Photographer's Toolbox http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/mdawson/tpglrbackup/ which will automatically backup these files for you...along with backing up and compressing the catalog file.  I place these all together on a different disk from where the originals are.

BTW...the previews file is a nice to ave, but not critical.  It can always be rebuilt.

In addition, I keep all the optional presets in an 'LR-presets' folder on C:, where they are loaded and updated.  This makes for ease of movement.  They can always be reacquired, but this makes it easy.

John
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up