Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up Sizing with C1 v7  (Read 2311 times)

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
Up Sizing with C1 v7
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:50:11 pm »

Does the new process engine in C1 v7 have any superiority over up-sizing the image files than version 6?  Are there benefits to doing step-wise increases in up-sizing?  And lastly, is there an upper extreme of how much you can up-size before negative effects?  Happy Holidays everybody, by the way......  Cheers!
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

Ronald NZ Tan

Re: Up Sizing with C1 v7
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »

Hi Kevin,

When you are starting with RAW files from your DSLR or RAW DNG (containing the RAW mosaic data), you cannot go wrong in trying to extrapolate in CaptureONE PRO. I almost always upsize to 120-130% of my RAWs from Canon 30D, 7D, and the Nikon D40X. The real test is when you print the extrapolated files. I have an image photographed using Nikon D40X and its native NEF is 3872 X 2592. I extrapolated using PhaseONE CaptureONE PRO to: 7700 X 4333!

I printed the extrapolated image at 30 X 20 inches and you know what?! I was positively surprised at how great it looked from a 10 MP file! I also added my output sharpening methods.

My advice is: go ahead and extrapolated to about 120-130% of your file's original size and don't forget to apply output sharpening and you will be amazed at the high-quality file output from CaptureONE PRO.

Cheers,

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:02:13 am »

Does the new process engine in C1 v7 have any superiority over up-sizing the image files than version 6?  Are there benefits to doing step-wise increases in up-sizing?  And lastly, is there an upper extreme of how much you can up-size before negative effects?  Happy Holidays everybody, by the way......  Cheers!

Hi Kevin,

Based on my analysis, there is nothing magical about the upsampling of Capture One Pro V7, just the convenience of not having to deal with it in another application. In fact, even (!) Photoshop CS6's BiCubic Smoother performs a little better in avoiding artifacts, and produces a slightly higher MTF (an MTF50 at almost 9% higher spatial frequency, at the 250% upsampling which I tested using the slanted edge method).

The exact effect on a real image of course depends on the image content as well. Capture One produces a bit more halo at sharp edges, which may look interesting on some subjects, but halos are artifacts I'd rather avoid in a generic procedure with no specific controls to mitigate the effect. The halos are not extreme, but I prefer to do my own output sharpening when the best results are required, and halos just get in the way of that.

For the best output I still prefer a dedicated upsampling application/plugin such as Photozoom Pro, which is a great companion for the Raw conversion quality of COv7.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:54:37 am »

Great info.  Thanks very much.  Will check out the Photozoom ap.
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up