Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flexcolor color profile problem  (Read 6780 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Flexcolor color profile problem
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

Hi

I try to develop some roll film images which are scanned on an Imacon. In my Flexcolor software, ProPhoto is chosen as default output profile. Also, ProPhoto is chosen as the default RGB working space in my pixel editor, PhotoLine. When I open the developed TIF in PhotoLine, the image is way out greenish. Photoshop says there is no profile, but regardless if I choose ProPhoto or No Profile, the result is the same: as greenish as PhotoLine, and the saturation boosted on top of that. Only Preview gets it right.

Looks like Flexcolor writes the profile in a way that neither PL nor PS can read. But why can Preview?

The screen shot shows a section of the image, left to right: 3f in Flexcolor, TIF in PhotoLine, Photoshop, Preview.

Hoping to be enlightened - Hening.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Flexcolor color profile problem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:33:35 pm »

Also, ProPhoto is chosen as the default RGB working space in my pixel editor, PhotoLine. When I open the developed TIF in PhotoLine, the image is way out greenish. Photoshop says there is no profile, but regardless if I choose ProPhoto or No Profile, the result is the same: as greenish as PhotoLine

That they both match leads me to trust that preview.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »

So do I - but how do I teach PL or PS to read that profile? Or Flexcolor to write it right? I can hardly use Preview as my editor...

Kind regards - Hening

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »

So do I - but how do I teach PL or PS to read that profile? Or Flexcolor to write it right? I can hardly use Preview as my editor...

Those two seem to behave correctly, the other's I suspect have an issue somewhere else. Since I have no access to FlexColor, not sure. I wouldn't trust Preview over Photoshop! It could be a V4 profile somewhere in the loop although Photoshop should have no issues with them.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »

Thank you for your replies, Andrew. So I misunderstood the first one - I read preview as Preview. But what do you mean that PS is correct? The image does not look like the adjusted raw - that's not correct to me. So you mean FC writes the profile in a wrong way, and PS reads that wrong profile right?

Good light - and right colors...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:36:17 pm »

Photoshop and the other application seem to be behaving as expected despite the way the color looks. At least in terms of defining ProPhoto numbers with an embedded profile (or the assumption of ProPhoto based on your color settings for untagged documents).

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »

I have figured out a thing or two, but then...

1-FC neglects the choice of profile in Flexcolor/Prefs/Output Profiles/RGB Default as well as the same choice in File/Setup/Color Sync.
Instead, it displays the image in the monitor profile. NOT the profile which is actually loaded (according to ColorEyes) and to which the monitor is calibrated - but the default monitor profile that resides in Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.
FC seems to output an untagged TIF (missing profile dialog in PS).

2-If I assign the profile mentioned, both PhotoLine and Photoshop display something that is not too far from the original, but not as close as Preview. PL is closer, then PS. Looks like assigning the monitor profile is what Preview does automatically.

3-Now I tried to put the default display profiles in a folder I called Displays Disabled; then put my own profile in the Displays folder. It turns out this is not possible - the default profiles are automatically re-built.

And now Flexcolor crashes, as soon as I double-click a thumbnail to open the image; also after I have purged the Displays folder from my own profile, re-started the Mac, re-installed Flex Color and deleted the file dk.imacon.flexcolor.plist. Another pref file, FlexColor Frame Preferences.xml, was not automatically re-built after re-installing, so I put it back in the prefs folder.

So operation successful, but patient dead - can anybody help please??

Sigh ! Hening

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »

Well I have discovered the ColorPerfect (former ColorNeg) plug-in for Photoshop and PhotoLine, and it looks promising. Colors look indeed very clear.
Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 02:39:43 pm by Hening Bettermann »

Pat O'Connor

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:57:06 am »

Hello Henning, just wondering how you have found the Colorperfect and Imacon/Flexcolor combination? The main reason I ask is because of the issue raised in this link, i.e. it's impossible to get a 'workable' raw scan using the Imacon. (ps I have found the combination better than not having it!)
http://www.flickr.com/groups/colorperfect/discuss/72157631991212409/
regards
Pat

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

Hi Pat,

thanks for the Flickr link.
I am talking about scanned 3f files from *positive* transparencies. I don't have an Imacon myself, I had them scanned in by a service, digitalcopy24.de.
At this time, I'm struggling with the user surface of ColorPerfect. (or bugs - I'm not yet sure what's what...)
As said I can not make the Flexcolor software work any more, so I can no longer make comparisons. But from the 1 image I tried in both, I remember that the colors in ColorPerfect were much clearer than in Flexcolor. And much clearer than in PhotoLine alone. But I have not yet tried to assign the Flexcolor profile as input profile in PhotoLine.

So that's the state of the art here...

Kind regards - Hening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up