Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1x photo awards  (Read 3298 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
1x photo awards
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »

marvpelkey

Re: 1x photo awards
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

Been visiting the 1x site for a number of months. Some incredible images, and they continue to amaze, in quite a few categories.

Marv

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:27:54 am »

Never come across that site before; very interesting images and, curiously, they appear to me to have come from almost exactly the same mind. Either very powerful editor(s) or an amazing group of like-minded shooters!

Most impressive work.

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:14:21 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

Such a very welcome surprise to come across such a consistently good collection of images on the internet.

Cheers,

Walter

marvpelkey

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:54 pm »

Rob,

I think the former, more than the latter. I believe the editors have set a pretty high bar for submitted images. They also offer the occasional book with some of their best (the one I bought includes a discussion by the photographers on the capture and processing).

Marv

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »

Just been back to that site.

Two hours later, my ass is numb from the chair, the other tab has gone to sleep where I forgot to change the music... hell, I forgot that it was even playing.

I'm so depressed. What did I do with my time on this planet?

Rob C

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:42 pm »

The same happens to me. Sometimes looking at great pictures for inspiration has just the opposite effect.

marvpelkey

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:32 pm »

Rob,

Off topic (by a large bit I suppose), but have you ever considered doing, or ever done any writing? You seem to have a knack for penning a phrase and your perspective is often quite interesting.

Marv

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:05 pm »

... they appear to me to have come from almost exactly the same mind....

They do... site founders/editors, just a couple of them, if I am not mistaken. Very high, but also very personal standards.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:28:28 pm »

I see our own Bret Edge there.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:08:37 am »

Rob,

Off topic (by a large bit I suppose), but have you ever considered doing, or ever done any writing? You seem to have a knack for penning a phrase and your perspective is often quite interesting.

Marv

Hi Marv,

I did, for while, around the time I was leaving school, but the threat of two obligatory years in the Army or one of the other services was enough to drive me into engineering which, though it held no interest, brought regular deferments from that fate until Nat. Serv. was abolished, and at least let me stay home and see my girlfriend (later my wife) every few days. I sometimes think I chose the wrong option, that two years in and then out would have saved time, but I have to admit that those years in engineering got me into industrial photography and, through that, brought about my eventual meeting with the chap who turned out to be my very best client, and whose calendar productions allowed me to go pretty much anywhere in the world I chose, and whose faith allowed me to have real big-time product with which to encourage other clients to go along with me for their stuff. Producing big calendars was a very expensive business: it takes faith to spend like that with someone for the first time.

As for writing now - I suppose it could be fun, but I am too old to face things like deadlines and would hate that. Just before I opted for the model side of photography, I did go through a phase where I imagined that I'd like to write and photograph for coffee-table travel books, but even then, the reality of publishing was something not usually within the hands of a photographer: it isn't about ego-tripping, which I liked and still like - it's all about return on investment.

Every winter I get captivated by the idea of returning to France in spring and writing about, and also shooting, a series of pictures along the Canal du Midi, and even perhaps right across from the Atlantic to the Med; then, I think about the cost of it all without a commercial sponsor and my resolve evaporates. Unfortunate, because I think I'd still perhaps enjoy the experience but not the bank statement following! I am not the type to travel third-class, camp or do camper vans, so there's not much hope in sight.

But thank you for the compliment; it warms me on a feeezing day!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:12:30 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:34 pm »

Get in line, Marv! I was first:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=63609.msg512398#msg512398 (my post #9)

Where I said:

P.P.S. A note to self: if you ever manage to write something, make sure you get Rob as a ghost writer

To which I should now add one more note to self: make sure you pay him, as he seems bent on acquiring a gun ;D

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:01 pm »

Well, Slobodan, it's not every day that I get a good laugh!

For which exception today, I thank you!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up