Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How The Heck Do I??  (Read 8411 times)

Kevin Gallagher

How The Heck Do I??
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

Copy pictures from several "projects" into a new project?  I'm sure it's avery simple process, perhaps too simple for my ex-pc mind :) Using 3.4.3

Thanks!! Kevin in CT

We're having a real bad day here  :'(
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

JDar

Re: How The Heck Do I??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:45 am »

Are you after copy and paste without moving? Copy and paste into another project is done with Option-select then drag into the new spot in your library.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »

Thanks JD!! I can now stop beating my head against the wall  ;)
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:58 pm »

With a Mac, it's always worth trying a drag & drop - just in case it works. It often does.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

Hi Bill, I was doing the D&D but it was moving them from one the original folder to the other. The addition of the Option key did the trick :)

How's the search for the new Mac coming?

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:39 pm »

Copying an Image from one Project to another (you can't put Images in Folders; Folders hold only Albums and Projects) you will create a new Original file, and you will end up with two originals and some difficulty down the road with versioning.  The generally accepted workflow is to store your Images in Projects (horribly misnamed, btw -- imho the single worst interface decision in Aperture), and use Albums for doing work.  Any Image can be any number of Albums.  It simply 'shows' there, but 'lives' in a Project.  You remove Images from Albums (and they stay in your Library).  You delete Images from Projects (and they are moved to the Trash, which when emptied removes them from your Library).

You can drag an Image from any Project into any Album, and it stays in the Project.  You can move any Image into any Project by dragging (and it is removed from the originating Project).  And you can copy Images from one Project to another (as you've discovered), but doing so is mostly ill-advised.

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

Wow, this has been bugging me for a while. Thanks for the explanation. I have to admit I did no more than skim the manual from Apple before diving in, but this bit should have been explained in bold letters up front.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »

You can walk up Mt. Aperture in jogging shoes, but you need to clear the moat of change that surrounds it.  Put more directly, the learning curve is gentle, but it is not attached to anything anyone is used to.  The paradigm for a loss-less workflow is nothing like the paradigm for file management and manipulation that we now use without thought.

I have written a concise guide for those getting started with Aperture. The program confused the hell out of me, so I thought it worthwhile to build a small bridge for those trying to make the same leap.  It is now a User Tip on Apple's Aperture forum.

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »

Aperture was built for versioning in mind, as opposed to duplicating master files. When you have an image selected, try Option + V to create a new version.

Keep in mind that a version is not a copy of a file, just a set of instructions. This saves a lot of space over time.
Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up