Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vendor Questions (How to hang photos?)  (Read 2163 times)

JTW

Vendor Questions (How to hang photos?)
« on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:38 pm »

Hey guys,
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this, so forgive me if this is a repeat question, or feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'm slowly attempting to get into the vendor thing at street fairs, etc. I've only done one so far. It was a music festival and I had a 10x10 tent set up and everything worked pretty well. Hung wire on three sides of the tent and hung matted photos on the wire, no problems.

I'm looking to do an inside thing in the next couple months and am curious how in the world to display/hang photos? I'll have two 6 foot tables and a roughly 12x14 area. I have a big easel but other than that...?? What's the best way to hang photos?

Something fairly lightweight and inexpensive would be ideal. I've got a small car with a bike rack, so I could use that for transporting it, unless it was something that folded...

Thanks for any help or tips!

Jill

http://jillwussowphotography.com/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:30:33 pm by JTW »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Vendor Questions (How to hang photos?)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:47 am »

First, welcome to the forum!

I use a display medium called Pro Panels. http://www.propanels.com

There is also a variety of media available from a number of sources but which is made wire frame that looks similar to chicken wire, but the wire is about ΒΌ inch or so thick and typically made of aluminum. Some cover this with fabric.

Be aware that a lot of shows require that the display materials used in a booth are certified as fire retardant or obviously non-flammable.

Both of the examples above require a pick-up truck or similar to transport.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Vendor Questions (How to hang photos?)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:46:02 pm »

For bike-rack compatible applications, you could tape together 4, 1/2 inch foam core panels to make a large square monolith.  If your artwork is light enough, use pushpins for support.  The panels come 4 x 8 foot, would advise cutting them down to about 80 to 84 inches high.  Depending on your bike rack, you could also cut them in half so you had 40 x 48 sections, bring more tape.  Use lotsa bungee cords for transport, those things are kites!

If you want to go upscale, sew together a big fabric sock that fits over the whole thing.  Use Pic N' Save closeout bed sheets.  Have seen this approach a few times, it doesn't look too bad.  But as Justan points out, it won't please the fire marshall, although I have never seen anybody shut down for those reasons.

PS, that setup is way too light to use outside in the slightest wind!

Or you could use "U" folded foam core sheets on top of your tables.  Just like at a science fair.

Other than that, just put a big tent inside your space.

Or find somebody who will rent or loan their ProPanel setup, transportation included.

Or put together a big frame of 2x2 lumber, use string as you did with your original tent.  With long screws and wing nuts placed in pre-drilled holes it might be not too aggravating to set up and tear down.

But honestly, if you're gonna do shows, sooner rather than later you will need a nice display booth, which unfortunately will require a pickup truck or preferably a van to transport.  ProPanels are the first choice for indoor shows, but the wire panels can stand up to outdoor winds much better.  And the big white cubicle tents are nice too until the first tornado or 100 mph thunderstorm downdraft shows up.

Google "display panels" in Image mode for some good ideas.  A zig-zag setup with taped-together foam core panels is another lightweight possibility.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:57:44 pm by bill t. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up