Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's still shooting film?  (Read 44275 times)

FredBGG

Re: Who's still shooting film?
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »

A friend of mine recently did a road trip along Route 66
and took an old Leica he bought at a yard sale.... his pictures came out really well.
Funny thing is he only took up photography a couple of weeks before going.
He shot Velvia because he bought a slide projector at the same yard sale.

16 year old kid. He also geo tagged all his shots with his cell phone. Oh these young hipsters... they have it all figured out.

TMARK

« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »

I like the drone of Velvet Underground when I process film. It's meditative in a way.

I reserve swamp pop for scanning!

Fred, that's almost as bad as smoking whilst you print!

I used to work in a darkroom of five of us, and all smoked. The poor girl who did the spotting used to get overtime. Cruel stuff or cool, depending on whether she needed the money.

The Polish chick has a nice video - the first one - and as for the last link to Burnside, I'm a sucker for blues.
But none of it, for me, is for working. For that, I prefer swamp pop rock or straight Chuck Berry. Music that's emotion and not message-based is better when your head has to be someplace else.

It's like driving: I often wonder if I even noticed the lights, but I guess I did or I wouldn't be writing this. When working, I seldom know which song I just heard, but am quite aware of the one playing.

Isn't photography something else?

http://youtu.be/3jLn1_shQXQ

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »

I like the drone of Velvet Underground when I process film. It's meditative in a way.

I reserve swamp pop for scanning!

klrzfm.com is having to alternate my time slots with jazzradio.com which offers a wide range of jazz styles. It's also free, and that's encouraging! The guy who runs a local bar always has great music on, and when I thought to ask, turned out it was from jazzradio.com! I do wish they still had jukeboxes, though; there was something wonderfully sexy in the deep bass throb of a beautiful Bal Ami. Or maybe it was just the normal feeling of being young. Who can remember? Stupid Cupid, Sixteen Candles, Heartbreak Hotel, Rock Around The Clock, Long Tall Sally, Kokomo... them wuz the days.

I'll probably be doing some more scanning over the holidays - thank goodness my scanner wasn't broken, just being temperamental some weeks ago; I had imagined all my old trannies were now useless to me. Maybe that was an early visit from Santa?

;-)

Season's best to you .

Rob C

JV

« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2012, 07:54:08 PM »

Oh these young hipsters... they have it all figured out.

Talking about hipsters, there was an article on Lomography in the Financial Times of July 2012.
According to that article Lomography sold 500,000 cameras and 2,000,000 rolls of film in 2011.  They have an annual growth rate of 30%.
I am not sure how significant this is in the whole scheme of things but the numbers struck me as being quite high...

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »

I had stopped in to the Lomography store in Los Angeles a few months back. It was the middle of the week and the end of the afternoon. The place was quite busy and people were definitely buying cameras and spending money.

Talking about hipsters, there was an article on Lomography in the Financial Times of July 2012.
According to that article Lomography sold 500,000 cameras and 2,000,000 rolls of film in 2011.  They have an annual growth rate of 30%.
I am not sure how significant this is in the whole scheme of things but the numbers struck me as being quite high...
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

VisualLifeLine

« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2012, 02:09:03 AM »

I think the mai