Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surprised Art Wolfe does not do his own post and print- how much is enough  (Read 33783 times)

Rob C

Re: Surprised Art Wolfe does not do his own post and print- how much is enough
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »

Cindy Sherman ??  Or Bunny Yeager?  LOL

Walter, how could you? Bunny used a Rolleiflex and, quite often, swimsuits.

(I think she was friends with Peter Gowland.)

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:15:43 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 05:21:39 pm »

Anyone who was anyone used a Rolleiflex back then Rob,

Except the aforementioned Peter Gowland who used it as a principle behind his mammoth Gowlandflex.

(I was fortunate enough to have met Peter Gowland and his wife in about 1967 when they were over here.  At the age I was then it was like a one-one with a deity.}

I wonder if PG actually did his own prints?  Maybe on his own adaptation of a Durst Laborator 138.

LOL

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:21 pm »

I used one too (Rollei) around the end of that decade; I wish I still had it. At least I'd have got more shots of that darned car today.

He, PG, was one of the best; one of his models drove me crazy with photographic lust, nothing carnal at all, just wishful, camera shootin' thinking. She was also a Playmate at one time, and if I can find a link I'll give you her name. She was divine. Diane Webber! Got it!

I never met him but I did exchange some E-mail with his widow. I think he also used a 'blad with a 250mm: I'm sure I remember a portrait of someone somewhere where he states that, but I saw so many pics back then... he, along with Don Ornitz, Peter Basch, Francis Giacobetti, Mario Casilli and Pompeo Posar were my gurus in the girls field, but the fashion thing sported a different set of gods altogether for me. I don't include Sam-the-man Haskins in the first list; somehow, for me at least, he rises above all of it. Funny, but women have always been the greatest things in my life. From mother thru wife and over to models, they always did more for my soul and morale than anything else of which I can think. Women...  Imagine! One of them with a Ferrari and she wants to give me the keys! I did say imagine, didn't I?

Walter, you really were in the presence.

Rob C

P.S. Pucker Up, Buttercup! Just hearing that on klrzfm; how can anyone resist such talent, especially 'round midnight? Hey, don't get me wrong - it's just the song that grabs me like that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:35:19 pm by Rob C »

Iluvmycam

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

Not much is needed it seems. Maybe just a sig? Lots of artists have factories that produce art under their name nd they jsut overseee it. Watch ART:21 on PBS.

I saw a vid on Cindy Sherman. She puts on lots of makeup, makes a funny face. Shoots a pix of herself in front of a green screen. Then she sends it in to get PP and has them add a background and print it for her. She gets $3 or $4 million for it...and she failed intro to photography class in college!

In my own case. I do it all (Shoot, PP & Print.) I have very good work and am routinely rejected for even giving my work away for free.

That is our world...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:51:38 pm by iluvmycam »

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

Rob, you should give writing lessons. I could not have said it better.

Agree. Appears that the OP has done a 180 on his original thoughts.

My 2¢:
  • Photography lends itself to specialization. Really, the skills are so different at the different stages. Left brain, right brain, etc.
  • But most photographers who are capable of ending up with an good-to-excellent print are significantly better at one stage than the others, and their work can suffer if they insist on doing it all.
  • Or they may enjoy one stage over another ... such as a passion for printing, and the actual shutter activation and pp are necessary evils to have something to print
  • Art Wolfe's wiki entry indicated he was doing serious p.p. for a book back in 1994. I suspect he was, and may still be, a master at pp.
  • However, I do find myself in partial agreement with the OP ... all other things being equal, I might be more impressed by an excellent image if it was taken, pp'ed, and printed by the same individual, compared to the image done in stages by different people.
  • My impression is that Alain Broit would be in the category of having almost 100% responsibility for the prints he sells. That's impressive, and has been a major motivatior for me to read his books and articles.
  • I think the OP is completely justified to enjoy an image much more if it's the work of one person, start to finish. And be willing to pay more for it. But his OP came across, to me, as a projection that what he values should be the norm.
  • About the best advice I ever received was just five words: "Not everyone is like you."   ... and that's a good thing  :)
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com

For my two penneth.

I must admit I too was a little disappointed to hear on the LLVJ 20, Art saying that he didn't PP his own work, printing and framing is an another issue and I have no problem with that. But the artistic and creative process I thought, demanded the hand and the eye of the artist all the way through until the work is complete and ready for printing. I mean how can it be entirely his vision and his vision alone, if he doesn't fully know what the image is going to turn out like, until someone shows him the final result and what they have made of it? But for all that, his images are truly amazing and that's what really counts in the end I suppose and after all, he is the one who saw the original potential, even if he doesn’t see it through to completion.

It's just a bit like the feeling I would get if I went to see a 'live' band or singer, only to realise they are lip-syncing to their own record playing in the background, it isn't what I would want or expect, I would be disappointed.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up