Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display and Two External Monitors ?  (Read 15989 times)

Joe Blackwood

I am considering the purchase of the 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. 

If you have purchased the MacBook Pro with Retina Display are you happy with your purchase? 
Since your are pretty much locked in with your initial configuration does anyone have any regrets or recommendations on configuration. 

Will the 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display easily support Two External NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27 Monitors?

I have enjoyed working with two monitors in the past, but nothing as high end as the NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27. 

Would one NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27 monitor paired with the actual Retina Display of the 15 inch MacBook Pro be a better combination?

Does anyone know off hand if the new 2012 Mac Mini will support Two External NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK 27 Monitors?

Thanks much....

jeremypayne

Re: 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display and Two External Monitors ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

It is an awesome little machine ... and I have decided to use it as my primary monitor. 

I don't really need anything more than the built-in screen.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:08:32 pm »

FWIW - my MBP retina easily drives a 30" Cinema Display and a 27" ThunderBolt Display. It uses both TB ports - but the TB display acts as a great hub for additional TB/FW etc. Then there's the HDMI output that allows display on a 50" Panasonic TV as well. Where do you look first??  ;D

My guess is that you will have no problems other than additional connectivity if you do not have a TB display with all its extra ports, since you will be using both TB outputs with DVI adapters (?)

No regrets at all - but I did get it fully configured since it is difficult to upgrade. When I am working with two big monitors, I keep the MBP closed but you can use its display as well...

Used as above, I find this little gizmo really useful and keeps the desk tidy (less untidy!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:18:14 pm by Chris Sanderson »

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

Joe

I have had the RMBP since June 12th with the following specs:

Processor 2.6 GHz I7
Memory 16GB
512 Flash Memory

Please note if you do not upgrade from 8 to 16GB ram when purchasing you will be out of luck for increasing Ram as it is part of the mother board.

Had an issue with the USB 3 not being recognized. Was only connecting as USB 2. However I had posted this issue via the Apple Forum and actually Apple picked up on it and I received a phone call from Apple. They worked with me to resolve this issue and after a number tests the problem was resolved. Apple even followed up a couple times to make sure the problem was resolved.

Since then I have purchased an IOGEAR's SuperSpeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub which works great. It allows me to have 4 USB 3 drives connected. Also picked up a Kingston USB 3 Media Reader which also works great. Also have the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter which allowed me to use the NitroAV 8 Port Hub for my Firewire 800 Drives. Have four of those connected as of now. All mount and work just fine.

Now I am coming from a MacBook Pro 2.66 (June 2009) 8GB DDR Ram so this is a hug upgrade for when it comes to speed.

The only items I have on my system in most cases are just the software (programs) I keep all images on external hard drives. Currently I use both Aperture 3.4.3 and Lightroom 4.3RC. I did have a WD Thunderbolt Duo drive, however I returned it and for the time being just using the USB 3 external hard drives. One of them I have is the Seagate Backup Plus 3TB. I am getting an average of 125 Read/Write for speed. Have an external Apple 24" Cinema Display also connected.

Aperture is already optimized for the RMBP and Lightroom 4.3RC is optimized for the RMBP.

One thing for sure the RMBP does not come cheap especially if you add the extra ram and larger flash memory. However for me it was well worth it.

Stu

popnfresh

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:14 am »

The Retina MBP will indeed drive two external Thunderbolt or DVI monitors (with adapters).
https://discussions.apple.com/message/18622848#18622848
Pages: [1]   Go Up