Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passage Through Time  (Read 1809 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Passage Through Time
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

Shown here is Lower Oneonta Falls, an intimate waterfall at the end of Oneonta Gorge, on the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge. Oneonta Gorge seems like a landscape off another planet. It's a narrow gorge reminiscent of the slot canyons of the American Southwest, but in the middle of a lush temperate rain forest, with walls clad in moss and ferns, dripping with moisture. While hiking up the gorge, my mind was first struck by the similarity to a slot canyon, but then began to ponder the different ways they were created. The slot canyons of the Southwest form when rain water drains through existing sandstone channels, further carving them with every downpour. Oneonta Gorge, however, likely formed as the waterfalls (there are four) eroded their own precipice, marching backwards in time. As I considered this, the trek upstream began to feel like a march forward in time, mimicking the path of the waterfall but at a much faster pace. It's a truly remarkable piece of wilderness, and well worth the tricky trek over logjams and slippery boulders.

Hope you enjoy!

Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Re: Passage Through Time
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:30:00 am »

Other than a blue cast in the water...very nice.
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:15:20 am »

I have to agree, the blue cast is a bit too present. Otherwise, it's a lovely image!
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:15 am »

Nice, especially the the detail of the braiding at the bottom of the falls. I like the colour contrasts.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »

Nice, especially the the detail of the braiding at the bottom of the falls. I like the colour contrasts.

Yes indeed. Nicely judged exposure, blurring the water without losing all detail. It makes me want to see the falls for myself.

Jeremy

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:10:26 am »

I'd also lower the blue saturation, but otherwise very nice.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 04:07:09 am »

Very nice. I like the bluish colour, to me it adds to the "feel" of coldness that comes from the gorge and the falls. I would like to see a bit more from the top of the falls, not sure if possible though.

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »

Thanks guys!  Really appreciate the feedback.  I figured some would think I went overboard on the blue, but I like it the way it is :)
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Larry Heath

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »

Quite gorgeous.

My only suggestion is that the little patch of stones out of the water on the right border of the picture competes a bit for attention. I think I would like to see that area darkened down a tiny bit so that it doesn’t compete with the waterfall.

Later Larry

Kevin B

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »

Very nice!  I like the exposure and the blue cast, and I didn't notice the rocks in the foreground until it was mentioned.  The waterfall and huge moss covered rock were the first thing to get my attention.  It did leave me thinking how it would look if more of the waterfall and moss covered rock, above what was showing, was in the photo.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up