Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Down

Author Topic: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....  (Read 332534 times)

Allen Bourgeois

Re: LEICA M MONOCHROM : keep sharing pictures, guys, ....
« Reply #620 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »

The single flower with the tangle behind it is beautiful. Such tones and excellent composition.

Thanks Mike.

The MM is really special when it comes to B&W. It is truly the only digital B&W I have warmed up to. There is just so much info in the mid and low range.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #621 on: October 19, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #622 on: October 22, 2016, 06:07:44 pm »

Telecaster

« Reply #623 on: October 23, 2016, 03:38:36 pm »

Oooh, this one is a gem! Well seen, Allen.  :D

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #624 on: October 24, 2016, 04:56:24 am »

Oooh, this one is a gem! Well seen, Allen.  :D

-Dave-

Indeed, great timing and, I hope, patience rather than luck!

Also, some very nice mid-range tonality in it for a change... Makes me feel at ease, complete. Don't you just love some women?

;-)

Rob

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #625 on: October 24, 2016, 09:36:03 am »

Thanks guys.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #626 on: October 24, 2016, 11:20:46 am »

Thanks guys.

Rob my serious work lately has been about timing. Last exhibit was Spontaneous Relationships and I had 13 of those images and an article published in Viewfinder Magazine last quarter.

Sometimes I will wait in a place where i think it's going to happen and sometimes I see it when I am walking by but it is a constant pre occupation with me. Working on seeing it and then having the ability to capture it in the moment. If I don't get out for a while the timing is off at first. I think Bresson said it is a developed instinct and I think that sums it up pretty well.

The MM files are pretty flat out of camera. There is just so much info in the mid tones and shadows. The end look is usually the way the files have been processed and I would suggest trying an MM if you haven't and looking at actual prints instead of 80KB compressed jpgs on a web site.

Here's just a few of them most have been in already posted in this thread so sorry for repeating them but it does help to some of them in one place.

Rob C

« Reply #627 on: October 25, 2016, 05:18:01 am »

Allen,

Thank you for posting the collection of shots; there are some really interesting catches in there. I guess all outdoor photography comes down to a mixture of the planned and the serendipitous, with the balance varying with the photographer.

I'm not so sure about the 'use it or lose it' aspect, though, because I think if you have it, then it doesn't desert you; if anything, I think that the excitement grows when you find yourself back in action, and only with excitement is there enthusiasm, without which there's nothing, photographically speaking. But then, we both had/have photography as a living, so the attitude is possibly a bit more developed in us than in someone who just does it when the mood takes hold, so maybe more of an instant switch on/switch off mode resides within, with very little delay due to mental electronics!

I'd suggest that something you have going for you is geography, and hoping not to disturb an entire nest of PC wasps, here goes: you live in a country where there are many black people. To a white guy in another society, these people offer a sense of difference, the unknown, and also a possible - if imaginary - threat, making their capture on camera rather more exciting than catching just another white guy or woman. Another LuLa photographer, Seamus, over on the 'Critiques' side of this site's life, has recently posted some pics of black men in Barcelona. The sense of tension, distrust and implied threat is very powerful; those same shots, populated by whites, would still be strong, but for me, not half as much. As with commercial work, casting is key.

I can only admire folks who can put themselves in these situations because they want the picture, and not for money.

Thanks again,

Rob C

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #628 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:06 pm »

Thanks Rob for the comments. I think that timing is something I know I need to work on. If I haven't been on the streets in a while my timing is off. It would be like a batter in baseball not hitting for a while, he can clearly see the ball it's the timing of the swing might be a bit off. And it's something the greats constantly worked to keep their edge.

The reason I love the streets so much is it is so unpredictable. You turn right and nothing happens. You turn left and potential images are everywhere. My pro work is usually controlled and is almost always a collaboration between myself and other visual professionals (art directors, graphic designers, account managers etc). It's ultimately the clients work and if I don't exceed expectations consistently I don't feed the family. And I am grateful for that work because it is the base that allows everything else. But in the end it's not mine.

My personal work is all mine. I create for me. If others like it that's great but that's not what drives my vision. I enjoy exhibiting and have no pressure to sell because my commercial work pays the bills. I do sell work on occasion but it would never be enough to give my family a standard of living that they deserve.

I think that Meyerowitz sums it up better than I ever could in this trailer of a really good movie BTW.
Just click on the arrow.
http://www.traileraddict.com/everybody-street/trailer
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:46:38 am by Allen Bourgeois »

BrianVS

« Reply #629 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:45 am »

Tiny Dancer.

Soldiers of Suburbia by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

9cm F4 Collapsible Elmar.

Drummer Girl.

Soldiers of Suburbia by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #630 on: November 08, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »

Just back from a week of R&R in Key West. Second one is from our balcony.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #631 on: November 10, 2016, 07:37:46 pm »

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #632 on: November 10, 2016, 07:39:56 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #633 on: November 11, 2016, 11:59:07 am »

Key West. It sticks in my memory because it was the only time I ever saw my wife fall down in a faint. She scared the hell out of me. The humidity was a killer, and exactly the same thing happened to our model in Singapore: she fainted off a rock, but, by the grace of the photo-gods, I was right beside her and managed to catch her. Which was quite nice...

I guess that's the problem with the coast in those latitudes: heat and humidity.

Rob

P.S.

I've never thought adult males suit shorts; yes, I am obliged to travel that route too, in summer.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:43:26 pm by Rob C »

BrianVS

« Reply #634 on: November 13, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »

Veterans Day, 2016 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

C-Sonnar 50/1.5 at F4, Orange Filter, custom processing software to add Gamma curve and convert 14-bit to 16-bits/pixel.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #635 on: November 15, 2016, 08:26:29 am »

Key West. It sticks in my memory because it was the only time I ever saw my wife fall down in a faint. She scared the hell out of me. The humidity was a killer, and exactly the same thing happened to our model in Singapore: she fainted off a rock, but, by the grace of the photo-gods, I was right beside her and managed to catch her. Which was quite nice...

I guess that's the problem with the coast in those latitudes: heat and humidity.

Rob

P.S.

I've never thought adult males suit shorts; yes, I am obliged to travel that route too, in summer.

Hi Rob,
This year the weather was AMAZING. Sunny 78-82 almost everyday and not as humid as it usual is. Last year was 90s and humid.

Check out this power suit.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #636 on: November 15, 2016, 08:28:52 am »

C-Sonnar 50/1.5 at F4, Orange Filter, custom processing software to add Gamma curve and convert 14-bit to 16-bits/pixel.

Semper Fi thanks for posting that Brian.

Telecaster

« Reply #637 on: November 15, 2016, 12:45:55 pm »

Check out this power suit.

;D  ;D  :o

Brilliant!

-Dave-

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #638 on: November 15, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »

Thanks Dave.

Allen Bourgeois

« Reply #639 on: November 16, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »

A couple more from our balcony in Key West

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Up