Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad Wifi + Cellular or not?  (Read 34317 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
iPad Wifi + Cellular or not?
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:27:21 pm »

I getting ready to purchase an iPad and trying to decide on whether to get just the Wifi version or the one with Cellular Data capability as well.

Any pros/cons?
Mike Guilbault

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: iPad Wifi + Cellular or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:37:25 pm »

Uh...do you intend to use the iPad where you don't have WiFi? If so, get the cellular data version, if not, don't bother. What is your use needs?

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:45:26 pm »

Well, first of all, I've never had an iPad so I'm not sure where I'll be using it.  I'm involved with a few organizations where I need to make presentations, take notes and such.  Sometimes, the meetings are held where there is no Wifi.  I was thinking i could set up my iPhone with a Personal Hotspot - but that might be more trouble than just getting the cell/data version of the iPad to begin with.  It may 'only' be $130 more... but if I dont' have to spend it...

Guess I'm looking to see if anyone that didn't get it, regrets it.  Seems that most people I've talked to are only using it around Wifi so thought I'd check out a wider audience here.
Mike Guilbault

K.C.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:03:58 am »

I bought the original iPad with the cellular option and it proved to be useful when traveling a lot. However it was really just a luxury that I eventually got tired of paying for. Once I canceled the cell data plan I never missed having it.

AT&T is offering a $100 discount on an iPad if you commit to a 2 year data plan.

Don't forget that it can be pretty slow on cellular. You might want to try a comparison between the two connections.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:32:02 am »

Well, first of all, I've never had an iPad so I'm not sure where I'll be using it.

That's what you need to determine...where are ya gonna use it? If you get 3G it's gonna be slow. If you have WiFi, it'll be the speed of the WiFi. If you don't have WiFi, then it's gonna suck. What do you need/expect?

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:47:38 am »

I bought one with both last month. I don't regret it. If you have the money, go for it. Even if you don't use 3G, you could slip in a 2G SIM for emergencies. You can have it default to wi-fi whenever available.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

mac_paolo

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:51:40 am »

If you plan to leave home with iPad I think you have to have a valid reason not to get the Cellular one, IMHO.
Always got the 3G/4G/LTE version and never regretted the choice I made.

elolaugesen

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:04:40 am »

Watch out for the iPhone/hotspot idea    does not work with all plans/carriers  unless you pay, pay, pay.......

I the uk      I got a pay as you go sim....   costs £10  a month   up to 1 gb per month  3g. 

If you do not use the 1gb that month it is gone. If you need more pay for more.     thus minimum cost.    I use wifi most of the time..

elo

chez

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 09:12:51 am »

If you plan to leave home with iPad I think you have to have a valid reason not to get the Cellular one, IMHO.
Always got the 3G/4G/LTE version and never regretted the choice I made.

I travel with mine and only have the WiFi version and have never regretted not getting the cellular option. With so many wifi hotspots around and more coming online everyday, you are never without a wifi access around the corner.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:07 am »

I travel with mine and only have the WiFi version and have never regretted not getting the cellular option. With so many wifi hotspots around and more coming online everyday, you are never without a wifi access around the corner.

If I need to connect just for myself then I can see using only the Wifi.  However, I may often be in situations where I'm in a meeting and can't control the location. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'm going to hold out for the cellular data model.  I can always 'not' use it or pay for extra data plan, but if I don't have it, the only way is to buy a new iPad. 
Mike Guilbault

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02:53 am »

I have an iPhone and an iPad. The iPhone has broadband, a “personal hotspot,” and the service plan I pay for supports unlimited access to the internet. I’ve used the hotspot on my iPhone off and on for well over a year.

I just bought the iPad last week and it has wifi.

My plan was to use the iPad mostly for art show sales along with the Square system for CC processing. The iPad would use the Personal Hotspot on my iphone.

Last weekend, I was getting ready for my first show and updated the ios on both platforms to version 6. This was a Big Mistake. Evidently there is a problem with the personal hotspot, and while my iPad was able to find any number of wifi routers or “hotspots” in Apple parlance, it could not find the hotspot in my iPhone without having to do a bunch of time consuming tasks. This is with the iPhone being mere inches away from the iPad.

I did some reading on the web and at Apple’s support site, and according to many notes there is, *surprise* a problem that causes the Apple hotspot to not work properly with ios 6. There is no fix at this time other than to screw with the settings and hope that by doing so the problem will be resolved. Of course even when I was able to resolve the problem, as soon as the ipad went to sleep I had to repeat the dance. This was Very Frustrating and something that is intolerable during a show. In the end I was not able to use the ipad due to this.

I’m unimpressed enough to rate this a 5 star slap in the face by Apple.

I ended up installing using the Square system on my iPhone, and it worked fine. The iPad was rendered completely useless due to being phuched by Apple in this manner.

The lesson of this little rant is that if reliability is important to you, get cell service for your iPad.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 10:27:39 pm »

Thanks Justan
Mike Guilbault

mac_paolo

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:46:50 am »

Hotspots? Do you have hotspots on mountains, countryside, seaside, roads or other less populated areas? I definitely don't spend my whole life within concrete boxes. :)
Does the OP?

SunnyUK

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 08:30:11 am »

I've got the non-cellular iPad. Seeing that I have a phone with unlimited data and tethering, it's not a big problem - just tether the 'pad to the phone. Easy way to save £100 (which was the price difference here in the UK when I purchased)

mac_paolo

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:52 am »

I've got the non-cellular iPad. Seeing that I have a phone with unlimited data and tethering, it's not a big problem - just tether the 'pad to the phone. Easy way to save £100 (which was the price difference here in the UK when I purchased)
The provider I have on my iPhone (H3G) has a smaller data coverage, it relies on the main italian provider (TIM) for phone calls. iPhone tethering may not work where H3G is out of coverage.
On my iPad I have data plan alone with the main provider.

Tethering will drain battery faster. An iPad may tether without any issue, an iPhone, while tethering, may last a lot less.

MrSmith

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:31:26 am »

i just tether with my iPhone. it was a no brainer decision when i'm only paying £10 a month for my phone plan with unlimited internet.
the only reason to get a sim for the iPad is if you are a heavy user and likely to hit the fair usage limit on your phone.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:58 am »

There is a big reason to buy a 3G iPad.
It has GPS 
the WIFI model has not... and they do not tell you
So If you like use it for maps - you can download offline maps ( apps) and use the GPS without having to be close to WIFI or a 3G network
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

SunnyUK

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:43:28 pm »

The provider I have on my iPhone (H3G) has a smaller data coverage, it relies on the main italian provider (TIM) for phone calls. iPhone tethering may not work where H3G is out of coverage.
On my iPad I have data plan alone with the main provider.

Tethering will drain battery faster. An iPad may tether without any issue, an iPhone, while tethering, may last a lot less.

Great. So you have an example of where it was worthwhile getting a 3G iPad. I had an example of where it wasn't. Seeing that our usage scenarios are different, this does not make one of us right and the other wrong.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »

I bought the original iPad with 3G. Being able to use Google Maps or The Photographer's Ephemeris or other location-based apps pretty much anywhere with a large screen is pretty terrific. When I first bought the iPad I did not have an iPhone and kept the iPad 3G service most months. Now I use it only when traveling, and sign up for a month at a time ($25).
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

mac_paolo

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07:44 am »

Great. So you have an example of where it was worthwhile getting a 3G iPad. I had an example of where it wasn't. Seeing that our usage scenarios are different, this does not make one of us right and the other wrong.
Huh? Did I say so?!? Stay calm…  ::)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up