Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jessica Eaton's Beautiful Photography  (Read 8213 times)

Isaac

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Jessica Eaton's Beautiful Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:17 pm »

Lovely. I Like it.

marvpelkey

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »

Not sure I would call it "stunning" as has been done in the link, but I do like some of the images.

Marv

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:53:14 am »

Another fascinating link - thanks Isaac. Beautiful, yes, often. Photography? Well, they are apparently made in a camera using film, so, end of story? The contrary argument would be based on the fact that they don't appear to depict objects  in the external world but rather use a camera as a tool in what is essentially a printmaking process. Does it matter? No, mostly - yes only in the sense that accurate classification has some value in a curatorial context, or for eligibility to enter competitions.
Ken Cameron

Gulag

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:37:44 pm »

I'd love to share how Edward Hopper defines art here.

"Great art is the outward expression of an inner life in the artist, and this inner life will result in his personal vision of the world. No amount of skillful invention can replace the essential element of imagination. One of the weaknesses of much abstract painting is the attempt to substitute the inventions of the intellect for a pristine imaginative conception. The inner life of a human being is a vast and varied realm and does not concern itself alone with stimulating arrangements of color, form, and design. The term “life” as used in art is something not to be held in contempt, for it implies all of existence, and the province of art is to react to it and not to shun it. Painting will have to deal more fully and less obliquely with life and nature’s phenomena before it can again become great."

-- Edward Hopper, 1959
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »

... The inner life of a human being is a vast and varied realm and does not concern itself alone with stimulating arrangements of color, form, and design....

Now, contrast Hopper with Socrates:

"I will try to speak of the beauty of shapes... straight lines and curves and the shapes made of them... They are not beautiful for any particular reason or purpose, as other things are, but are eternally, and by their very nature, beautiful, and give a pleasure of their own quite free from the itch of desire: and in this way colors can give a similar pleasure..."

Iluvmycam

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 06:23:35 pm »

Interesting. Nothing I would want for free. I like street or doc photos.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:12:00 am »

Just found the thread - wish I hadn't.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up