Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another z3100 Driver/Firmware Issue  (Read 2523 times)

zippski

Another z3100 Driver/Firmware Issue
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

Hi everyone.  My first post on the printer forum.  I've owned a 24" z3100 (standard, non GL/PS version) for nearly four years and it has worked flawlessly until lately.  I did the dreaded drive belt replacement today.  I'm in the Niagara Falls Ontario area, and used a firm called Synergy IT Solutions in Mississauga to replace the belt.  They do amazing on-site service! The belt was in and out in four hours @ $130.00 per hour. Printer is humming along like new.

Anyway, being smart (NOT), I decided to update the printer utility, which I eventually found on the equally deaded HP , uhmmm, 'website' as of October 30/12.  Big mistake.  The updated utility will find the printer and does all the ink checks and the job accounting etc, but it will no longer communicate with HP proactive support.  The update icon just spins endlessly, and the utility eventually locks up and has to be shut down by ending the process in taskmaster screen mode (I'm running 32bit Win7). 

Anyway, my question is this: The website says it has to be used with the newest driver, only some of which were also upgraded on October 31/12.  I've downloaded another  60mb driver file.  My concern is that there are only two driver options, an older one for the z3100GL and a newer one for the z3100ps.  I no longer see the standard driver option.  Will the newer z3100ps driver work?

HP driver website is here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3204977&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3204970&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4062

Or should I just blow out the new utility and try to reinstall the old one?  I think I can locate it on my second drive somewhere. 

Leigh Daboll       

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Another z3100 Driver/Firmware Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:55:14 am »

Do not use PS firmware or driver for a plain Z3100. What exactly should be used is something I have to check, I did update the firmware of my plain 44" Z3100 more than a year ago and must have the files. There should be differences between 24" and 44" models so it may help you either. Latest driver running on Windows Vista 64 and no issues with printing but for HP Utility calibration/profiling I use an old Windows XP32 box as from Vista the connection is often not there, ink levels work though.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

zippski

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:19:38 am »

Thanks!  I managed to locate and reintall the saved old driver, and it works again.  One problem I've always had is the painfully slow driver connection when printing through  Photoshop (my default print program).  That's what I had hoped the new driver would fix. 

Leigh Daboll

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:51:44 pm »

Likewise, it was prefect under Vista32, but bad under Vista 64 and horrible under Win7 64.  I don't even use the utility anymore, and am regulated to only printing perfectly using CS5, not 6.  The driver hangs on CS6 for some reason.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 06:21:41 am »

Printing from Qimage Ultimate here. The Zs are not fast but that combination is fast enough for me right now. Qimage was always fast enough updated for the latest Windows versions.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

gfsymon

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:16:28 pm »

One problem I've always had is the painfully slow driver connection when printing through  Photoshop (my default print program). 

Leigh Daboll

I don't use Photoshop, but I have no speed problems using ethernet. I've been using my z3100 since 10.4 and have always remained up-to-date with the OS versions.  I'm running it happily today under 10.8.2.  It's fast over gigabit ethernet.  IMVHO USB is not a great way to feed an LF printer.

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:30:10 pm »

I was having a lot of problems with the plain z3100 driver on windows 7 doing insane things and also hanging up. I finally deleted everything and started all over downloading the latest driver and latest firmware for my HP PC and now it is working super fast and clean with no glitches at all. Its actually even a little faster than my Mac driver now. It's been working perfectly for 6 months now. Q Image good too.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up