Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic AG-AC90 Received and Review Underway  (Read 5400 times)

michael

Panasonic AG-AC90 Received and Review Underway
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:52:49 am »

I've just taken delivery of the brand new Panasonic AG-AC90, that company's latest mid-range camcorder. Really new prosumer camcorders don't come along all that frequently, and the AC90 looks like it has quite a bit of new technology in it.

I'll be using it for my own personal video work over the next year or so, along with our two AF100s and GH2s, which Chris and I use to shoot our tutorials and travel videos. (A couple of GH3 will likely take the place of the GH2s once they start to ship).

I plan on doing a full review here in a couple of weeks, but I'll post observations here from time to time as I become familiar with the AC90.

Battery is charging, weather is crummy here in Toronto, but I'll be pleased to answer questions as I get up to speed on the AC90.

Michael

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: Panasonic AG-AC90 Received and Review Underway
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:21:45 am »

Thanks! Just a few thoughts from reading the specs:

How does it compare to the Canon XA10, especially since a lot of features are similar. The Canon has ND filters.
How good is it in low light?
Does it really output 8-bit 4:2:2 via HDMI? The specs for the Component output says it does. What about 60p?
Is there an option for uncompressed or LPCM audio?
How good is the image stabilization? Does it work well with one hand at medium zoom or more?
How good is the LCD in bright light/sunny conditions?
Ergonomics and Menu layout
Is there a wide angle adapter for wider than 30mm (35mm equiv.)?
It has focus peaking - does it work very well? Can you only choose Red or do you have the option of blue/green as well?
Does it have histogram/waveform/vectorscope/zebra options?
How good are the in-built presets? Can WB settings be manually dialed in?
How usable is the image at maximum gain? What's the approximate dynamic range?
Battery life?
The most important: How good is the lens?

My first impression is that it's way too expensive, but a decent 60p compression and excellent low light performance will make it worthwhile.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

michael

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:17:43 am »

I won't be doing a review of the AC90 after all. The unit I received had defective XLR inputs and low light capability wasn't what I was after.

But here are some answers to your questions, when possible.

Thanks! Just a few thoughts from reading the specs:

How does it compare to the Canon XA10, especially since a lot of features are similar. The Canon has ND filters.
- Never used an XA10
How good is it in low light?
- Not great. +30db is clean, but loses resolution
Does it really output 8-bit 4:2:2 via HDMI? The specs for the Component output says it does. What about 60p?
– Yes
Is there an option for uncompressed or LPCM audio?
- Yes
How good is the image stabilization? Does it work well with one hand at medium zoom or more?
- Excellent
How good is the LCD in bright light/sunny conditions?
– Has a bright setting. Very good
Ergonomics and Menu layout
– fine. Typical Panasonic
Is there a wide angle adapter for wider than 30mm (35mm equiv.)?
- Yes
It has focus peaking - does it work very well? Can you only choose Red or do you have the option of blue/green as well?
– Yes, red only
Does it have histogram/waveform/vectorscope/zebra options?
– two seperate settable zebras, histogram, no waveform
How good are the in-built presets? Can WB settings be manually dialed in?
– fine. Not by degree, only major settings and two presets, which can be fine tuned
How usable is the image at maximum gain? What's the approximate dynamic range?
Battery life?
– Very good 3-4 hours
The most important: How good is the lens?
– Lens is good, but no real tests done.

My first impression is that it's way too expensive, but a decent 60p compression and excellent low light performance will make it worthwhile.

- Expensive? No, for what you get a good value if it otherwise meets your needs.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:15 am »

Thanks!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up