Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is better than the canon eos 1ds mark3???  (Read 2568 times)

stacibeth

what is better than the canon eos 1ds mark3???
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:46:22 pm »

I have been shooting with the Canon eos 1ds mark 3 for awhile now and I love it! But I recently got my b&h catalog in the mail and they don't even list it/sell or market it online anymore. Which makes me question, is it still the best or has canon come out with a newer version to replace it? Just curious on what everyone thinks and if I am now behind the game?

thanks for all posts

Sheldon N

Re: what is better than the canon eos 1ds mark3???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:49:51 pm »

The replacement is the Canon 1D X. It's slightly lower resolution at 18 megapixels instead of 21 and image quality is fairly similar at iSO 100. However, in almost every other respect it's a much superior camera, faster, more responsive, amazing high ISO, more full featured.  If you're a studio shooter no need to worry about upgrading, however if you shoot action/events/location/etc, it's well worth a look. I upgraded from the 1Ds III to the 1D X and am very glad I made the switch (although it's an expensive upgrade).
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:07:34 pm »

The qualitative Canon replacement for the 1Ds Mark III is not the 1D X (a camera I love BTW). It is the 5D Mark III.

However you asked "What is better than the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III?" The honest answer to that question is either a Nikon D3x or D800 or D800E.

K.C.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 12:37:42 am »

The replacement hasn't been announced yet.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:46 am »

The 1ds3 is still a great camera and my workhorse.  Would I like a 1Dx - yes.  Can I really justify it for the work I do - no.  If you have the need of the improvements go for it, but otherwise your existing camera will probably keep going for a while longer.  The industry is geared up to make us feel dissatisfied with what we have and I sometimes think it would be better not to read gear reviews etc.  I have two GH2's which are great - but now they have gone and brought out a GH3 - damn!

Jim

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:33:58 am »

I've been shooting with 1ds3's since they came out and have also wondering what next.
Will also admit that I hadn't seriously considered the 1Dx because of it's slight drop in resolution while everything from Nikon
seems to be doubling..

Anyway, for the last few days I've had a loan 1Dx and would agree it's a big step forward over it's ageing parent.
The high ISO performance is awesome and while I would limit low light shooting to around 1000 ISO on the 1DS3, the X is still
kicking it well above 3200..

Very impressed.. :)

stevesanacore

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »

Biggest issue is AF. On the 1DX and the 5D Mark 3, the AF works much better. If you are shooting people or action, it's a smart upgrade.
We don't know what we don't know.

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:13:27 am »

Nikon D800.

I have shot with Canons and medium format digital, as well as larger MF film and 8x10.
I used Canon for many years starting with the 1ds. While I liked the cameras and the stellar reliability
I just got tired of waiting for dynamic range improvements.
The D800 made a big jump in dynamic range as well as res and general image quality
that not only did I stop using my Canons, but I also pretty much stopped using
my Phase One MF cameras that I soon sold with no regrets at all. Actually quite
happy to get rid of the crappy Phase one bodies. The D800 has better dynamic range than
my MF back.

Now I shoot pretty much only with the D800 for digital and shoot 6x8cm and 8x10 film.

The D800 does not quite have the beefy body of the various 1Ds bodies I have had.
Pages: [1]   Go Up