Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP1/DP2 Merrill batteries  (Read 12476 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Sigma DP1/DP2 Merrill batteries
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:02:56 pm »

Has anyone had any luck getting extra batteries for this camera ? I'm planning on taking it to cuba in december and would like to take about 7 or so batteries. There was mention that some Ricoh batteries work but I don't remember if I read that on this site or another one. Any tips ? I would prefer to get some batteries I don't need to cut into shape in order to make them fit.

Pete_G

Re: Sigma DP1/DP2 Merrill batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:34:22 pm »

These have been mentioned and bought by folks on the dpreview forum. I've ordered some but no received them yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-Digital/dp/B004BPQSOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349276442&sr=1-1&keywords=wasabi+db-65

rickk

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:18:04 am »

Still waiting for Sigma to fulfill an order for more batteries. DP2M users have mentioned on other sites that the Ricoh DB-65 ($45) is identical to the Sigma BP-41, so I ordered a couple of those.

Keep your Sigma batteries warm. On my DP2M's first use at temps well below freezing, the battery gave up after 7 (yep, only seven) exposures. Since that experience, I've kept the camera under my coat and the battery in my watch pocket (finally found a use for that pocket). Obviously, it isn't a means for quick reactions, but inserting the warm battery added only a few seconds to the whole set-up on a tripod anyhow. The warm camera and battery change raised the number of exposures at 20F/-6C above 30. That whole routine reminded me of using the Kodak 14n in the cold with several large batteries in pockets. At least the Sigma batteries are tiny and much more comfortable to carry -- if only they were available.

Regards,  Rick

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:53 pm »

Still waiting for Sigma to fulfill an order for more batteries. DP2M users have mentioned on other sites that the Ricoh DB-65 ($45) is identical to the Sigma BP-41, so I ordered a couple of those.

Keep your Sigma batteries warm. On my DP2M's first use at temps well below freezing, the battery gave up after 7 (yep, only seven) exposures. Since that experience, I've kept the camera under my coat and the battery in my watch pocket (finally found a use for that pocket). Obviously, it isn't a means for quick reactions, but inserting the warm battery added only a few seconds to the whole set-up on a tripod anyhow. The warm camera and battery change raised the number of exposures at 20F/-6C above 30. That whole routine reminded me of using the Kodak 14n in the cold with several large batteries in pockets. At least the Sigma batteries are tiny and much more comfortable to carry -- if only they were available.

Regards,  Rick

Here is another option for extended shooting in cold weather.  This is the Anker Astro 3 10000 mAh USB re-chargeable battery pack powering the DP1M via the Sigma SAC-5 adapter with a StarTech USB2TYPEH to DC 5V 3 ft connector cable.  Battery pack is slightly bigger than an iPhone (which it can also re-charge) and slips easily into a jacket or pants pocket.  Nice feature is that if you have the camera set to power down at a preset time interval, then the battery pack will also shut off at the same time.

Carl

Pete_G

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:58:27 am »

I've finally received 4 new batteries for my DP2M. They are Wasabi BTR-BH125C-JWP. I got them as part of two kits which comprise 1 x mains charger, 1 x car adapter, 2 x Batteries. From Blue Nook in the USA via Amazon. The kits were about USD 22 each.

The batteries have the correct, slightly larger, notch which allows them to fit into the camera properly. They are minutely bigger than the Sigma batteries so the fit is snug and they don't drop out quite as easily but a simple tag made of Duck Tape allows easy removal. Haven't charged them or used them yet but they are supposed to have Japanese cells in them so I don't foresee problems.

...Oh, and they are 1400mAh as opposed to the Sigma's 1250mAh, so maybe there's a few more "shots" in them...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:01:10 pm by Pete_G »

rickk

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 03:26:38 pm »

The Ricoh DB-65 batteries arrived on Monday and seem identical to the Sigma batteries, except for the labeling. They charged just fine in the Sigma charger, and one has powered the camera thru about 60 exposures so far. They are significantly more expensive than the Wasabi batteries that Pete mentioned and about the same price as the Sigma batts (if and when available).

Regards,  Rick

rickk

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:46 am »

Sigma BP-41 batteries ordered from sigmaphoto.com about three weeks ago arrived yesterday and seem to be back in stock on Sigma's website. Good news considering their limited life at winter temperatures.

Rick

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:44:03 pm »

Hello Scho :)

Can you give us the average number of shoots you can get out of a full Anker 3 charge ?

Thank you very much (I was studying this option too).
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

NancyP

Sigma DP1/DP2 Merrill batteries in stock now
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 03:01:30 pm »

I got my backordered 2 batteries yesterday, for a total of 4, adequate as long as I keep the reserve batteries in my shirt pocket.

garykaifong

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 02:58:48 am »

May I ask how your experience with the setup so far?  Any issue with switching on the DPM?  Any issue with continuous shooting?  Any issue with card read & write?

I've tried a similar setup which I got from Taobao:

An OEM SAC-5:  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.Q2sKos&id=19390360833

A portable battery:  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.Nfti2z&id=18057056012

But the result was no good.  The DPM can be switched on and shot.  But sometimes, I experienced a sudden power off.  Also, sometimes problem with SD read & write, i.e. images being written to the SD were corrupted.

So I decided to return the products to the seller.

I'm wondering if you have experienced the same for your setup.

Appreciate your advice and thanks in advance.

Gary

bmacw

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:06:08 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up