Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yes Photographers Watch Questions  (Read 4716 times)

Khurram

Yes Photographers Watch Questions
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:49 pm »

I read Michael's review, but wanted to know if there is anyone else who has bought any of the watches and if there is anyone who has ordered from Canada.  Specifically ,some of the questions I had were the following:
  • For those who have ordered from Canada, what was the shipping method and how much was the shipping and brokerage.  It look like the watch is shipped via UPS and I've had horrible experiences getting screwed over for brokerage costs by them, even though there is no duty other then GST.
    How accurate are the sunrise/sunset times for various locations.
    If a location is not on the city database, is there a way to still get information on sunrise/sunset and moon cycles (I checked the list and it doesn't look like places like Page, Sedona, or Moab are listed in the database.
    How durable is the watch?  It's listed as 10ATM, is water resistant enough for swimming?

----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Yes Photographers Watch Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »

I cant answer most of your questions as I have not ordered this watch and dont have one. But, I do know from my many years SCUBA diving that if a watch is listed as 10ATM for its water resistance it is more than safe to swim with. ATM refers to Atmospheres of pressure. At sea level you are under 1ATM of pressure. 10 ATM of pressure is a depth of 90 metres. See HERE

Be aware that many watches state their water resistance in Feet or meters. This is an irrelevant measurement. Since having a shower with your watch is equivalent to around 2ATM or 10 feet under water due to the pressure exerted by the water. ATM is a much better and more correct measurement for a watches water resistance.

With a watch with an ATM of 10 you can safely swim with it and are very unlikely to encounter any problems. 90 metres is well below the recommended safe depth for standard SCUBA. You would need a deep sea diving rig to hit 90 metres or suffer serious Nitrogen Narcosis on standard compressed air. In other words, you will likely not live, but your watch will be fine.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:24:50 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »

Thanks Josh!  when I asked the vendor about whether the watch would be okay for swimming he said it should be okay, but don't press any of the buttons while in the water, so it made be a bit skeptical.
----

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:51:25 pm »

I have one of these watches.  While it is an interesting addition to my collection, and it is fun to follow the amount of daylight versus night time, moon phase, etc. it is not nearly as useful for serious photography as is The Photographer's Ephemeris app. for an iPhone or other device.   

Much easier to "project" for future locations and dates w/ TPE.  And what I've found is that even when I'm out of range of a cell signal in the boonies, if I've done my homework will have saved "screen shots" in my photos on the phone of time places, times, etc. that I intend to shoot.

If you do buy one of the watches, I'd avoid the black ones.  That's what I chose, and the oxide coating on the band/bracelet rubs off way too easily.  I'm pretty "easy" on my watches, so the wear isn't from abuse.

If you like clever watches, you'll enjoy it, but as a serious photographers tool, I find it limited.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:15 am »

Thanks for your perspective Rand!  I actually was considering a black one, so it's definatley good to know that if i do proceed black isn't a good option.

I've never been much for digital watches and ordinarily would not think of spending this much for a digital watch, but do think it would be handy to have sunrise/sunset times readily available at all times. One definite deal breaker for me would be if the watch only has sunrise/sunset times for the pre-loaded cities.  Do you know if that information is only available for the pre-loaded cities, or if its also available for other locations ???

I also have the TPE for moth my laptop, as well as my iPhone, but thought the watch would be handy to have sunrise/sunset times available where I am - particularly for remote locations. 

I have one of these watches.  While it is an interesting addition to my collection, and it is fun to follow the amount of daylight versus night time, moon phase, etc. it is not nearly as useful for serious photography as is The Photographer's Ephemeris app. for an iPhone or other device.   

Much easier to "project" for future locations and dates w/ TPE.  And what I've found is that even when I'm out of range of a cell signal in the boonies, if I've done my homework will have saved "screen shots" in my photos on the phone of time places, times, etc. that I intend to shoot.

If you do buy one of the watches, I'd avoid the black ones.  That's what I chose, and the oxide coating on the band/bracelet rubs off way too easily.  I'm pretty "easy" on my watches, so the wear isn't from abuse.

If you like clever watches, you'll enjoy it, but as a serious photographers tool, I find it limited.

Rand
----

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:56:13 am »

Thanks for your perspective Rand!  I actually was considering a black one, so it's definatley good to know that if i do proceed black isn't a good option.

I've never been much for digital watches and ordinarily would not think of spending this much for a digital watch, but do think it would be handy to have sunrise/sunset times readily available at all times. One definite deal breaker for me would be if the watch only has sunrise/sunset times for the pre-loaded cities.  Do you know if that information is only available for the pre-loaded cities, or if its also available for other locations ???

I also have the TPE for moth my laptop, as well as my iPhone, but thought the watch would be handy to have sunrise/sunset times available where I am - particularly for remote locations. 

From their website: 

"Once set the watch automatically updates time data daily through the years 2000 - 2099 The watch is pre-programmed for 583 cities worldwide, but can also be set by longitude/latitude."

As I recall, it isn't that convenient to enter lon/lat & to get that data for you locale when out & about you'll need iPhone w/ TPE or a GPS.   Or, you could pre-configure for your destination.
Rand Scott Adams

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:41 am »

With a watch with an ATM of 10 you can safely swim with it and are very unlikely to encounter any problems. 90 metres is well below the recommended safe depth for standard SCUBA. You would need a deep sea diving rig to hit 90 metres or suffer serious Nitrogen Narcosis on standard compressed air. In other words, you will likely not live, but your watch will be fine.  ;D

Mine says it is safe down to 600m/2000ft - so I should be alright going for a swim, and I don't think the sea round here goes that deep anyway.  Don't think I could hold my breath down to 600m.

Jim

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 06:00:57 am »

Mine says it is safe down to 600m/2000ft - so I should be alright going for a swim, and I don't think the sea round here goes that deep anyway.  Don't think I could hold my breath down to 600m.

Jim

Heh, fair call to say that watch is pretty safe to swim with! ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

RFPhotography

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:41:47 am »

For those of us, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, who don't pore over every bit of information posted to the LuLa site it would be helpful if a link to the item in question were provided.

Khurram

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:38:32 am »

From their website: 

"Once set the watch automatically updates time data daily through the years 2000 - 2099 The watch is pre-programmed for 583 cities worldwide, but can also be set by longitude/latitude."

As I recall, it isn't that convenient to enter lon/lat & to get that data for you locale when out & about you'll need iPhone w/ TPE or a GPS.   Or, you could pre-configure for your destination.
Thanks Rand!
----

Khurram

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:39 am »

----

allegretto

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »

yep, saves a person the agony of Googling such data or the energy of re-setting the hour hand

atlnq9

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 02:23:35 am »

I use my handheld garmin for all that information.  No entering the location and it provides that information.  You can add on maps for just about anywhere in the world.  Estimate the time to your new location and decide when to leave to make it on time.  Mark waypoints for your general shooting locations to guide you to them and then add the lat/lon in your metadata later.  All for the same price as that watch.  Just get a timex so you have something hand on your arm, that is unless you plan on swimming to your photo locations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up