Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Placido  (Read 1328 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Placido
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:34:11 am »

A lot to like in the latest home page image - it does indeed have a placid, tranquil quality to it.  Algonquin Park was a great place to work for me - even on something as strange as moose ticks!  It's one part of Ontario I miss.

BTW, appropos of nothing, but the plant in the center frame with the yellow leaves is called 'sarsaparilla' (Aralia nudicaulis if you want to get picky).  Ever see a western movie where someone walks into a bar and orders a 'sasparilla'?  Made from the roots of that plant.  The Native people call it 'rabbit root' because it has long runners (like strawberry plants). Grab on to one end and you can pull ten or twenty feet of root.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

Re: Placido
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:45:33 am »

BTW, appropos of nothing, but the plant in the center frame with the yellow leaves is called 'sarsaparilla' (Aralia nudicaulis if you want to get picky).  Ever see a western movie where someone walks into a bar and orders a 'sasparilla'?  Made from the roots of that plant.  The Native people call it 'rabbit root' because it has long runners (like strawberry plants). Grab on to one end and you can pull ten or twenty feet of root.

Mike.

Interesting info here. I thought that it was the same as sarsaparilla but apparently not.
Francois

Petrus

Re: Placido
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:53:09 am »

Another plant often seen in westerns is the tumbleweed (Salsola tragus). The funny / trivia thing is that it actually spread to the prairies only at the very end of the nineteenth century, carried from Russia in flaxseed shipments. So it the movie is taking place in 1880 or earlier, there should be no tumbleweeds rolling around in the wind... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up