Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good places to buy used digital backs and fotogear?  (Read 1626 times)

henrikfoto

Good places to buy used digital backs and fotogear?
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:58 am »

I know ebay, LL and getdpi, but I wonder if anyone know more good "used-sites" ?
It can also be more all-around sites where people can sell and buy.

Henrik

Sheldon N

Re: Good places to buy used digital backs and fotogear?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:00:26 pm »

Fred Miranda has a very active buy and sell forum. $25 fee to join to post as a seller, and a good feedback tracking system.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 12:46:16 pm »

I know ebay, LL and getdpi, but I wonder if anyone know more good "used-sites" ?
It can also be more all-around sites where people can sell and buy.

Henrik

My best advise is that if you buy used back from those places you are taking a perhaps major risk, due no warranty and no support. Instead it is much better to buy from a reputable agent/dealer that will give you warranty and support. If you buy from a good such they will likely help you out also outside warranty since they appreciate your business, and since you may one day upgrade back. They will likely be more happy to take your back on trade in when they know you as a user and know the backs history.

The worst thing that can go wrong with a back is the sensor, and if that happens on a back you pick up on Ebay or somewhere you are tad in a major problem... Thus even if a deal sound good from those places... consider the risk...

Regarding other gear such as lenses the places you mentioned are great. Especially Ebay, but do pay attention to the ratings of sellers and to images and other information.  ;D

Best regards,
Anders

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:46:55 pm »

I'm obviously very self serving in saying this, but I think the best place to buy a used back is from an entity whose core competency, reputation, and experience is in evaluating, selling, and supporting digital backs.

At any given time we (Digital Transitions) usually have more pre-owned Phase/Mamiya-Leaf digital backs than eBay, gDPI, and LL combined. The price is often a bit lower on eBay or from a private buyer but so is the risk. We inspect every back in a thorough test process (and we know exactly what and how to test since we have a long history of supporting and selling the same backs). We're happy to provide you pre-purchase testing or evaluation of your own. We also always include a warranty, support, and training (if desired).

I bought my Pontiac Solstice pre-owned from a dealer for the same reason. I'm sure I could have spent hours online and found someone selling one privately for a little less, but my buying process was stress free and straight forward and I had a much higher confidence in the result.

My suggestion, in the very least, is to find a dealer you know you can trust and let them know what you're looking for. Our inventory turn over is quite high, so even when we don't have a particular back on Monday we may have one come in on Tuesday (usually as part of upgrades). There is really no harm in doing this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:04:20 pm by Doug Peterson »

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »

Digital Transitions and Capture Integration for Phase Leaf Mamiya.  Straight shooters, they know what they are doing, and they guarantee the gear, I believe.

T

I'm obviously very self serving in saying this, but I think the best place to buy a used back is from an entity whose core competency, reputation, and experience is in evaluating, selling, and supporting digital backs.

At any given time we (Digital Transitions) usually have more pre-owned Phase/Mamiya-Leaf digital backs than eBay, gDPI, and LL combined. The price is often a bit lower on eBay or from a private buyer but so is the risk. We inspect every back in a thorough test process (and we know exactly what and how to test since we have a long history of supporting and selling the same backs). We're happy to provide you pre-purchase testing or evaluation of your own. We also always include a warranty, support, and training (if desired).

I bought my Pontiac Solstice pre-owned from a dealer for the same reason. I'm sure I could have spent hours online and found someone selling one privately for a little less, but my buying process was stress free and straight forward and I had a much higher confidence in the result.

My suggestion, in the very least, is to find a dealer you know you can trust and let them know what you're looking for. Our inventory turn over is quite high, so even when we don't have a particular back on Monday we may have one come in on Tuesday (usually as part of upgrades). There is really no harm in doing this.

henrikfoto

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:30:25 pm »

Thanks everybody!
I know of course it is safer to buy from the companies, but the prices are higher.

I think the risk on the private market is quite small if you use your head and buy from the
right people. I have bought 8 different backs used on ebay etc. and never had a problem
with any of them. After a year or two I can usually sell the back with less than 10% loss.

Now I am looking for a good back for my Contax. I have a nice P20 on it, but would like
a P25, P40 or P65.

Henrik

torger

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 04:22:58 am »

I bought from this forum and got unlucky and got a lemon and now my back needs repair. The seller was perfectly honest, the thing is that I'm using the back in outdoor conditions rather than in studio so problems that probably has been there for a long time (possibly out from the factory) just became visible. I just sent it away and don't yet know what the cost will be, but probably quite high. Had I bought from a dealer that had given me 6 months warranty it had been within the warranty period. If you are not unlucky (I think failures like mine are quite rare) buying second hand from a private individual can save tens of thousands of euros.

Prices are also such that even if my repair will cost €3000 the total cost will be lower or at least very similar to a used deal of the corresponding back from a dealer, what I lose is all the messing around (perhaps not being able to shoot for a few weeks) and not feeling safe and supported. I can live with that, but it does not suit everyone.

I think the best buy from a dealer is a half-recent 22 megapixel back, those prices are often (not always!) low enough so that you will actually pay more if you need to repair your ebay/lula/getdpi back. But as soon as you step up to a 33 megapixel back or higher the math becomes different.

The reason a second hand market exists for backs, even recent high end backs like IQ180 etc, is that better deals can be had both for sellers and buyers. But the risk is higher. It's a bit like dealing with used cars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up