Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do we do with all these previous versions of lightroom  (Read 6778 times)

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
What do we do with all these previous versions of lightroom
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:47:46 am »

I am doing a little house keeping and noticed that all of the previous versions of LR & Photoshop are still on my computer. Photoshop was easy, I simply deactivated & uninstalled.

However Lightroom has the previous catalogs stored along with the previous versions. Can I send all of that to the scrap bin? I would assume that the LR2 & 3 catalogs are upgraded to LR4 & then not used. I did a search here but could not really find anything relevant. I would like to clean up my hard drive as much as possible.

Thanks you

Warren
Warren

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: What do we do with all these previous versions of lightroom
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:29:43 pm »

Yep just uninstall/delete it's not used.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »

Thanks, it is what I figured.

Which brings up the question, why does Adobe leave the old software installed? or at least give you a chance on install to remove old versions. I am sure there is a reason.
Warren

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:39:03 pm »

Which brings up the question, why does Adobe leave the old software installed? or at least give you a chance on install to remove old versions. I am sure there is a reason...

Yes very simple.
Lightroom 3 and Lightroom 4 are different with different capabilities.
It is not Adobe's job to decide that you do not need Lr3 just because you have installed Lr4.

With regard to version upgrades Lr4.1 to Lr4.2 etc from what I can see the install process does actually clean up after itself and remove Lr4.1.

Regards

Tony Jay

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »

Yes very simple.
Lightroom 3 and Lightroom 4 are different with different capabilities.
It is not Adobe's job to decide that you do not need Lr3 just because you have installed Lr4.

Just a small (legal) niggle. While I haven't specifically checked for Lightroom, Photoshop upgrades (they at least used to) specifically mentioned in their EULA's that it was even prohibited to use prior versions after upgrading (a 'logical' consequence of upgrading a license to use a specific version of said application).

With regard to version upgrades Lr4.1 to Lr4.2 etc from what I can see the install process does actually clean up after itself and remove Lr4.1.

Indeed, it so did when I upgraded. So it would make even more sense to just install the latest version (after backing up the catalogue), and enter one's licence number, without installing older versions first.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:14 pm »

You could be right but Adobe obviously choose not to enforce that by wiping the prior version automatically.
I have to confess that I do not have the enthusiasm to troll through the agreement right now to clarify the legal postion.
Nonetheless I doubt Adobe have any intention of leaning on individual users on this.
Also, in an evolutionary sense, although I still have Lr 3.x on my workstation mainly for technical comparison of some issues, Adobe has succeeded in making Lr3.x functionally obsolete with the magnificent changes found in PV2012 (obviously prior Process Versions are still accessible) and the Print module, the Book and Map modules notwithstanding, I don't want to use prior versions for any serious work.

Regards

Tony Jay

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:34 pm »

Just a small (legal) niggle. While I haven't specifically checked for Lightroom, Photoshop upgrades (they at least used to) specifically mentioned in their EULA's that it was even prohibited to use prior versions after upgrading (a 'logical' consequence of upgrading a license to use a specific version of said application).

As I read them, the Adobe Lightroom 2, Lightroom 3, Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS6 End User License Agreements allow the use of all previous versions as long as they are installed on the same machine as your upgrade, and as long as you have not transferred your license.  See paragraph 5, "Updates" in the EULA's: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:46 am »

As I read them, the Adobe Lightroom 2, Lightroom 3, Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS5 and Photoshop CS6 End User License Agreements allow the use of all previous versions as long as they are installed on the same machine as your upgrade, and as long as you have not transferred your license.  See paragraph 5, "Updates" in the EULA's: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

Hi,

Apparently you are right for the current EULAs as published. They must have understood the silliness of such a restriction. I'm pretty sure it was different, but I'm glad it it more realistic now.

Thanks for checking.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:57 am »

You still have access to previous versions from the Adobe Store if you purchased them through a download.  I remember reinstalling PS4 some time ago just to print out some profiling targets as I was having problems with the ACPU.  There was no problem in doing this.  That would be the only reason to do something like this since LR advances make going back to previous versions not worthwhile.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:00 am »

They must have understood the silliness of such a restriction.
Unlike the silliness of restricting licences by operating system.... Lightroom being an honourable exception.

eliedinur

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:58:44 am »

Whether it is worthwhile to revert or not worthwhile, any restriction would certainly be silly considering that the earlier versions are embedded in LR 4 and with a single click you can change it from PV 2012 to PV 2010 or even PV 2003.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:00:00 pm »

...They must have understood the silliness of such a restriction. I'm pretty sure it was different, but I'm glad it it more realistic now...

I also remember it as different in the past but thought it had changed, so looked it up.  More realistic for sure.  (Not to get off-topic here, but I hope that dose of realism extends to cloud processing and licensing for non-pros in the future.)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:42:18 pm »

... the earlier versions are embedded in LR 4 and with a single click you can change it from PV 2012 to PV 2010 or even PV 2003.

My understanding is (I might be wrong, of course) that is not exactly the case. Given the different processing algorithm of the PV 2012, earlier versions are only its best approximations.

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:28:06 am »

My understanding is (I might be wrong, of course) that is not exactly the case. Given the different processing algorithm of the PV 2012, earlier versions are only its best approximations.

Greetings Slobodan we haven't chatted in a while.
I think that as far as the Develop module goes all three process versions are available - the sliders etc change for the appropriate process version
so selecting PV2010 will give you a Develop module that exactly mirrors Lr3. Changing back to PV2012 will make the Develop module look exactly like it does in Lr4.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up