Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SpiderPro holster & L-bracket?  (Read 5847 times)

walter.sk

SpiderPro holster & L-bracket?
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

I am considering the SpiderPro holster/belt combo for use with my 5DMkIII.  I am not using the add-on vertical grip, just the camera.  I use it with a Really Right Stuff L-plate that I find indispensable for tripod use.

How would the SpiderPro system work with the L-Plate and the Arca-type of quick release plate?  I know that Spider sells an adapter, but what about the cumbersome dimensions of the camera plus the L-bracket plus the Spider plate and pin plus the adapter?

And wouldn't all of that defeat the use of the L-bracket to switch from portrait to landscape on the tripod without having to re-adjust the tripod or head?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: SpiderPro holster & L-bracket?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:19:10 pm »

Why are you considering it? From what I have seen it of it in use by others it just looks like a really awkward way to carry a camera.

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:03 pm »

Why are you considering it? From what I have seen it of it in use by others it just looks like a really awkward way to carry a camera.
Several people I know are using the Spider device and swear by it.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »

Good for them. The way I move around when I am shooting having an extra camera hanging off of my hips  like that like would get in my way but I recognize that not every one of us works the same way.

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:12:58 am »

They're great when you're shooting in your shirt sleeves, Walter - but think about how things will be when you're in your cold weather clothes: do you fasten your jacket over your camera? Leave the jacket open? Put a belt over the jacket?

Because I don't live in Hawaii, I decided very early on that the reality of my shooting circumstances for much of the year ruled this sort of camera carrier out for me...

Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:19:17 pm »

They're great when you're shooting in your shirt sleeves, Walter - but think about how things will be when you're in your cold weather clothes: do you fasten your jacket over your camera? Leave the jacket open? Put a belt over the jacket?
Hmmm! Good point!

jmlphotography

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:31:40 pm »

Could someone just answer the question without pontificating about their preferences?  If you don't use the system, then just don't answer.  I use the system and have hiked all over the Southwest and South Florida with it.  I've used it in cities all over the States.  I carry my D800 w/lens, a set of filters in a pouch attached to the belt, two other lenses in a ThinkTank skin chimp cage also attached to the belt (the cage nicely balances the weight of the camera). The skin also holds cards, remote release, extra battery and a cleaning cloth.  It's great to have your hands free when hiking and a godsend when your neck or shoulders can't take the weight of today's cameras.  It's not going to be the way to go in all circumstances, no bag/carrying option is.  For me it works 90% of the time.

I just found out about the Spider attachment for an L Bracket and before plunking down $95, I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Please, unless you have something to say based on actual experience, just move on to the next thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up