Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BTZS Tubes for 8x10 sheet film  (Read 13547 times)

WalterEG

BTZS Tubes for 8x10 sheet film
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:19:05 am »

I am wondering if anybody has experience with these and can offer some opinions good or bad.

Thanks,

W

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
Re: BTZS Tubes for 8x10 sheet film
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »

With any tube developing 8x10, I water soak first, then develop.

However, and this is important, I place my water and / or chemistry in the tube first, then place my film in.  I find in the past if I place my film in first then added the water or chemistry, sometimes the film would stick at some spot and I would get uneven development.  So take tube, add chemistry, then add film - all in the darkroom of course. : ).   It should work fine.

The use of a water per-soak is because you can "burn" - for lack of better words - your negative in a tube due to the constant rotation and agitation.  I find for both my 4x5 and 8x10 I have to cut back on the strength of my developer.

My " formula" that works for me is a five minute per soak, followed by 10ml of pure HC 110 syrup in 600ml of water, and then in a tube for anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes, constant rotation, but not all one direction.  Remember to reverse every 2 minutes or so.  Maybe even every minute is better.  Your mileage will vary.  Stop, fix, wash etc as per normal
Good luck
Joe

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:23:21 pm »

Thank you Joe,

I always pre-soak and that is partly why I had sought opinions.  I watched the video on Fred Newman's site and he does not pre-soak.  He places the film into a dry tube and when he puts the chemistry in he starts be waving the tubes about like Ricky Ricardo for 15 seconds.  That was the bit that has a question mark over the tubes for me.

You have set me straight and I am grateful.

Cheers,

W

fnewman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:54:18 pm »

Pre-soaking is not necessary for the 4x5 or 8x10 BTZS film developing tubes.  The BTZS film processing tubes were designed by Phil Davis and pre-soaking is not necessary for processing.  By shaking up the BTZS tubes continuously for about 10 seconds - like a cocktail shaker - the emulsion is coated & then spinning the tubes as in the video is all you need to do.  When Phil & I used to do workshops, there was never a question of pre-soak vs. no presoak - it just surprised everyone working in the light.  Fred Newman

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »

Thanks Fred.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:48:35 pm »

I use the 4x5 tubes and don't presoak-no problems.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up