Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Cellphone Pictures  (Read 24510 times)

Rob C

Cellphone Pictures
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:03 am »

Hi - don't think we had a section devoted to this genre - now we do.

I'll kick off with this one from this morning.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:28:06 am by Rob C »

Rob C

Re: Cellphone Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:02:21 am »

Second part of the duet.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:01:20 am »

I never find shots like this just walking down the street  :). Guess I live in a far more modest area.  :'(
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:07:14 am »

Well, when you look at Rob's background, Chris, you realize he's spent his life in a world of boobs, so he's always alert for that. I guess there are worse ways to spend a life. War is one of them for sure.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:50:51 am »

Not a bad place to spend your life..I can think of far worse fates.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:14:10 pm »

I, for one, enjoy the functionality of the iPhone for quickly taking & uploading images for distant friends & family members to view. It beats the heck out of a 12Mpx point & shoot that requires me to transfer images to a computer in order to do anything with them.

A few weeks ago, I took my son to an auction house. He found the power saws.
~ CB

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »

It beats the heck out of a 12Mpx point & shoot that requires me to transfer images to a computer in order to do anything with them.

Funny, I never use the cellpix without downloading them to the computer and into PS as quickly as possible. I don't think I have sent such virgin images - I mean un-PSd ones - more than twice at the most. Not sure when I first bought this thing, but I do remember using it on New Year's Day this year.

I certainly don't think of the 'phone as an easy option: in most ways it's a damned sight more difficult to use, especially with the dreadful visibility you get on the screen in bright daylight conditions. That is followed, or shared, by the lousy way that focus is attained. I'm also permanently in doubt about the moment of exposure. I tried some panning shots to induce movement blur, and in some cases, I'd passed right beyond the subject!

It's one virtue: it's literally always available whilst taking up no extra space.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »

Not a bad place to spend your life..I can think of far worse fates.

I can offer one: when you run out of available/affordable boobs to photograph. Your life goes upside down.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »

Your life goes upside down.

Rob C

I don't go there... ;D

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 01:25:30 pm »

I don't go there... ;D

I can think of 69 reasons why I'd agree, but nevertheless, when it hits you it hits.

Rob C

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 01:30:18 pm »

Funny, I never use the cellpix without downloading them to the computer and into PS as quickly as possible. I don't think I have sent such virgin images - I mean un-PSd ones - more than twice at the most. Not sure when I first bought this thing, but I do remember using it on New Year's Day this year.

I spend so much time in PS that the freedom and speed of cellphone pics uploaded to friends & family was like a vacation. Full disclosure: I use and enjoy Snapseed. Completely trendy and fun $5 app.  In addition, Dropbox automatically uploads my images for cloud storage and distribution to my other 'puters.

I certainly don't think of the 'phone as an easy option: in most ways it's a damned sight more difficult to use, especially with the dreadful visibility you get on the screen in bright daylight conditions. That is followed, or shared, by the lousy way that focus is attained. I'm also permanently in doubt about the moment of exposure. I tried some panning shots to induce movement blur, and in some cases, I'd passed right beyond the subject!

It's not the perfect tool for great photography/artwork, but that's what the pro stuff is for.

For a summer vacation, it was the only tool I brought (because I was on vacation). Small, light, easy to charge, plenty of memory, and easy to upgrade.
~ CB

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 01:40:48 pm »

I can offer one: when you run out of available/affordable boobs to photograph. Your life goes upside down.

As do boobs (down, that is) ;)

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:55:42 am »

As do boobs (down, that is) ;)

It's all relative to the Equator.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:26:11 am »

Actually, this thing about gravity and boobs in strange: folks coped perfectly well with nature for most of Life’s history, but now there’s an opportunity for more ‘doctors’ to make more bucks, so the world goes mad, encouraging non-essential invasive ops that are not always successful.

I remember doing a shoot in Cannes, based up in the Hotel Montfleury on the rise of la Californie, from whence one had a great view over the town, some marinas, and also catch sight of the castle further along the coast. What was interesting, was that whilst we did some shots of our girl in the pool one day, we noted that we were surrounded by many women of Arabic origin, each sporting her monokini, would you believe, and all with perfectly pert breasts, all pairs of apparently the same format as the others.

This offered my wife and the model much amused conversation, but from my perspective at least, it seemed a tad boring. As things turned out, they both concluded that we were in the midst of a middle-eastern revolution with the vote going to the knife. I think that’s unfortunate; you can’t really fool nature for long, and an aged figure shows the plastic within fairly obviously (as do some far younger ones, at times) and I suppose the only solution becomes frequent returns to the clinic.

What was more disturbing, was that these women were, many of them, mothers with their kids and nannies in tow. I have never before seen such public humiliations of gofers – kids of around five years of age were giving them orders which they instantly scurried away to perform. What a way to face the future, and what an incredible set of world and class perceptions and expectations that must breed! And what a comeuppance may lie in store.

Anyway, I enclose a Kodachrome from that pool, converted to black/white for no other reason than that I had just discovered how to do it when I did it. The conversion, not the shot. Yes, I think that’s what I mean. Obviously nothing to do with cellphones, but with F and F2 Nikons instead, but connected via a conversation about boobs and gravity. Does floating offer a third dimension?

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:53 am »

Fine shot of a very pretty girl, Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 03:08:09 pm »

Brave or foolhardy; close call.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »

I can smell the approach of the front moving through Rob, and sort of get a sense of chill on my nasal and ear lobes.

WalterEG

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:07 am »

I was not sure whether to post these for Rob C in this section or the Vehicles section.

When I saw it front on my heart skipped a beat but when I walked to the rear it was the model after the one I had hoped it to be.

Couldn't have been positioned worse for the lighting, but I am sure you get the gist.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 04:35:51 am »

That's the Impala (I think) after the one I found so impressive: the one with the smooth line in cat's eyes rear, not with the judder of the sharper angles. As I left India again in '53, and was aware of the car then, it must (the one I like) be older. Or my memory worse than I'd feared.

And to think that in Blighty we were making Austins and square Triumphs. Oh, we did make a Standard Vanguard that looked a bit like a '47 and '48 U.S. Ford. The Consul tried hard and the Zodiac was nice, even if the Vauxhall Cresta carried more chrome. ;-)

Regarding location for post: I think I'd put the image here, on the Cellphone shelf, because that's really the reason for its existing - the image, that is. Well, actually, both the images and the slot.

Ironically, I've just decided to start carrying the old D200 around with me, with the 2.8/24 stuck in front. The reason is the change in weather, which has cooled considerably this weeked, and also become much wetter. As a consequence, the baggy shorts with many pockets give way to jeans, and that forces the carrying of a shoulder bag of sorts to accommodate all the bits and pieces. So, as I bought a small Lowepro last year, I can use that for both camera and wallet and specs and cellphone. We shall see how long that combination lasts! My thinking is this: the D200 was crap at high ASAs, but if I keep it at a steady maximum of 400, then I'm no worse off than shooting Tri X or HP4 film equivalents, which is good enough for little web games.

My wife would ask: since you are carrying a bag, why use the D200 and not the D700? She had the same way of looking at life when I found joy using a light tripod with only two legs extended... I must be missing something. Indeed, and it's not the equipment.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:39:01 am by Rob C »

RSL

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 10:38:07 am »

Brave or foolhardy; close call.

Rob C

Great catch, Rob.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up