Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 3.4 and an unannounced Digital Camera RAW 4.00  (Read 11175 times)

JWB

Aperture 3.4 and an unannounced Digital Camera RAW 4.00
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »

Yesterday, Apple released updates for Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Aperture 3.4. I downloaded and installed both. Apparently, Apple also released Digital Camera RAW 4.00 along with the updates, though this isn't mentioned anywhere in the release notes.

Of note, Digital Camera RAW 4.00 processes RAW files from the Nikon D800 a bit differently. Aperture tells me that all my old D800 files were processed in an earlier version of Digital Camera RAW and presents me with an option to reprocess the files with the new Digital Camera RAW. If I do so and apply the Apple default settings in the RAW fine tuning brick, I see that the new Apple default is significantly reduced settings for Moire and Edges.

The difference in the new processing is very subtle, though I think I detect a bit more sharpness in my images after reprocessing.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Aperture 3.4 and an unannounced Digital Camera RAW 4.00
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:21:14 pm »

There are A LOT of users who can't start Aperture after the upgrade.  For a while, Apple pulled the Aperture update from the App Store.

My advice: wait a few days before updating Aperture.  There's not much of interest (to me) in the update.  The complete list is here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2518?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:16:03 am »

There are A LOT of users who can't start Aperture after the upgrade.  For a while, Apple pulled the Aperture update from the App Store.

Version 3.4.1 is said to have fixed the problem. I never had it, so can't testify.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

tatuvaaj

• 500px
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:55:27 am »

The difference in the new processing is very subtle, though I think I detect a bit more sharpness in my images after reprocessing.

Same here, the new sharpening algorithm (?) seems better, at least for NEX-5N RAW files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up